Hypothetical Cummins EGR delete questions

Tuning has come a long way. You can now leave EGR installed. Simply bolt in a DPF replacement pipe with muffler and go on your way. If you ever have to go in for warranty (assuming you didnt do any "bruh" raceme crap), you can simply plug back in your egr and bolt back in your DPF, spend a couple more minutes changing the tune back to stock and drive on to the dealership.

There is a smart way to tune/delete, and not-so-smart way. Like with all things! haha

Except now FCA is checking how many times the computer has been flashed.
Every time you flash a new tune or go back to stock tune it is recorded by the computer and can be pulled up by FCA.
If that number does not agree with what is in the system as being done by the dealers under repairs, recalls or other approved work they void the warranty. So even intact tuning is a no go if you want to keep a warranty in place on the powertrain.

Not sure it's a matter of worth it or not. But if you want your truck to look like this then by all means keep your junk stock.

What year of truck is that from, how many miles, how was it driven, tow any? The newer EGR systems are much cleaner compared to the 2008 to 2012 EGR systems.

Plus it's not like a clutch isn't a serviceable item, and the stocker isn't know for it's awesomeness anyway so that point is null.

This is true, the stock clutch and flywheel are weak. But they are designed for the stock HP. IF one goes into tuning knowing that it will likely need replaced then that is fine. Many people at least on the various cummins forums come to them whining cause they run a tune at 100hp and break their stuff. If you want to turn it up you have to be prepared to pay the cost. Something will eventually fail as it was designed and spec'd for the factory power and adding power or removing the torque management is going to break crap. My 05 was tuned and I knew I would eventually eat the transmission. Traded it before that happened.

This is true, the stock clutch and flywheel are weak. But they are designed for the stock HP.

I disagree. It will slip every single time if you drop a gear and try to accelerate too quickly.

Except now FCA is checking how many times the computer has been flashed.
Every time you flash a new tune or go back to stock tune it is recorded by the computer and can be pulled up by FCA.
If that number does not agree with what is in the system as being done by the dealers under repairs, recalls or other approved work they void the warranty. So even intact tuning is a no go if you want to keep a warranty in place on the powertrain.

There is no contract signed in the warranty you are not allowed to flash the ECM. There is no contract signed that only the dealer is allowed to work on the vehicle and flash the ECM. What IS happening is the "Bruh" dudes are putting 100+hp tunes on a stocker, blowing head gaskets and then trying to go in on warranty, in which case FCA is of course going to look at the ECM flashes and then request proof that you had justifiable flashes or otherwise receive a rejection of warranty for suspect aftermarket modifications.

Again there are smart ways and not. A smart person might have on hand receipts from a buddy of flashes for tire diameter change.... etc. The pen is still mightier than the sword in this magical arena called the USofA. Each to their own. Some people dont mind bending over and getting shafted without lube... some actually ask for the lube... and some say No.

Well I just filled up and my truck got 7.9mpg on the way to Kairos and back.

That’s HAND CALCULATED if you don’t believe me, I don’t have a lie-o-meter. And you’ll be glad to know I have no delete options cause I have a wore out gas engine.

Just me talking now, not my friend with the deleted truck :)
When I was at the dealer, I was sent to a 3 day training class on WT Harris Blvd in Charlotte. The topic? How to tell if a Cummins has been modified.
We were shown where to look for dusting. How to see the end result of a high flow air intake system. Where to look for signs of gauge senders that indicate a need to monitor things. We also were taught all about flashes and the like.
At the end of the day, it was still up to the manufacturer to prove a power adder or aftermarket parts caused the failure.
Plus, the dealer can see a lot of things. A manufacturer rep and see a lot more things if a claim goes up the chain.
My buddy had been his own warranty station since May of 2015. He understands that getting a warranty claim in the next 5 months may be an issue. He's cool with it though.

I disagree. It will slip every single time if you drop a gear and try to accelerate too quickly.

There is no contract signed in the warranty you are not allowed to flash the ECM. There is no contract signed that only the dealer is allowed to work on the vehicle and flash the ECM. What IS happening is the "Bruh" dudes are putting 100+hp tunes on a stocker, blowing head gaskets and then trying to go in on warranty, in which case FCA is of course going to look at the ECM flashes and then request proof that you had justifiable flashes or otherwise receive a rejection of warranty for suspect aftermarket modifications.

Again there are smart ways and not. A smart person might have on hand receipts from a buddy of flashes for tire diameter change.... etc. The pen is still mightier than the sword in this magical arena called the USofA. Each to their own. Some people dont mind bending over and getting shafted without lube... some actually ask for the lube... and some say No.

Well believe what you want but it is happening. FCA is killing warranties based on unauthorized flashes. Changing tire size is not a flash by the way. Dropping a new tune is.

As long as you are willing to be your warranty then do what you want.

No rug burns, just be willing to build a Pro Rock for a good friend

I have neither talent to build, nor talent to wheel gooder enough, so I bought kneepads

When I was at the dealer, I was sent to a 3 day training class on WT Harris Blvd in Charlotte. The topic? How to tell if a Cummins has been modified.
We were shown where to look for dusting. How to see the end result of a high flow air intake system. Where to look for signs of gauge senders that indicate a need to monitor things. We also were taught all about flashes and the like.
I hate to tell you this bro, but your personal experience as a tech and hands on years of training are nothing compared to a guy who's read things on a forum

I tried to tell scott with trucks unlimited this, but he just deleted his account on powerstroke.org

Stupid newb

None of you know me real well but I am a decent wrench turner. I actually pulled the Cummins in my 05 and rebuilt it myself after it broke a ring going to Harlan. Learned alot about Cummins from that. I do all my own wrenching and am pretty well informed about the current 6.7. Just relating the stuff I have learned from owning one or two.

How did this turn into an internet dick measuring contest?

It's my thread, so I can derail all I want
True story, @Van-go called me an hour ago and was asking me a bunch of driveshaft interchange questions. We had a great conversation for like 15 minutes. I mentioned needing to wrench on my Ranger this weekend and he says "Who is this anyway?"
I reply "You called Jody. Who'd you think it was?"
Dumbass meant to call @Chris_Keziah but somehow had our numbers crossed.

Either way, pretty sure I sold him a pinion yoke anyway.

It's my thread, so I can derail all I want
True story, @Van-go called me an hour ago and was asking me a bunch of driveshaft interchange questions. We had a great conversation for like 15 minutes. I mentioned needing to wrench on my Ranger this weekend and he says "Who is this anyway?"
I reply "You called Jody. Who'd you think it was?"
Dumbass meant to call @Chris_Keziah but somehow had our numbers crossed.

Either way, pretty sure I sold him a pinion yoke anyway.

I'm guess that's the funny story he txted me about. Need to give him a call.

Oh and by all means keep the derailment, most excitment excitement we've had around here in days.

Just for giggles if you paid $3000 for said delete and tune and you are getting 2 mpg improvement you would have to drive 125k miles to recoup.the cost of your delete.

If dude paid $3k for something he bought for under $1600, he would be an idiot.
So if he got double the mileage gain for half the cost, he'll see dividends in 31,500 miles?
Works for him.
Plus, he won't have to deal with another turbo actuator issue or likely EGR issues.
Edit: or the oh so common DPF clogging, DEF sensor shutdown issues, etc.

Last edited:
Just for giggles if you paid $3000 for said delete and tune and you are getting 2 mpg improvement you would have to drive 125k miles to recoup.the cost of your delete.

How much would the dpf and egr cleaning service cost after your 100k warranty ran out. I'm sure it would cost more than the deletes. Funny thing about vehicle modifications is most gear head will twist a justification any way they see fit to make it seem like the thing to do knowing it would have been cheaper to be a crack addict.

$3000 for a delete and tune?!?!

I can't imagine it being more than a grand. Plus in 125k miles, factor in DEF cost, and whatever else breaks in the emissions system. My truck is currently all stock, but if anything alphabet soup goes out on it, it will be deleted and tuned, just like the last 3 I've owned.

$3000 for a delete and tune?!?!

I can't imagine it being more than a grand. Plus in 125k miles, factor in DEF cost, and whatever else breaks in the emissions system. My truck is currently all stock, but if anything alphabet soup goes out on it, it will be deleted and tuned, just like the last 3 I've owned.

Completely agree. Mine will be deleted after warranty if something fails. The cost of a scr or a def pump would offset the delete.

Last edited:
Completely agree. Mine will be deleted after warranty if something fails. The cost of a scr or a definitely pump would offset the delete.
Respectfully. Truly respectfully.
Then what's the argument? Is it just a waste of money for someone to do it for less than half the cost of what you say you'll do when your warranty is up?

Last edited:
Back