Hypothetical Cummins EGR delete questions

Discussion in 'Tow Rigs and Trailers' started by Jody Treadway, Oct 21, 2019.

1. jeepinmatt

jeepinmatt Still Fat

What's the old saying? It's not gay unless Crocs are touching?

doc and 77GreenMachine like this.
  2. Jody Treadway

Jody Treadway Croc wearing fool Moderator

According to @Loganwayne and his "friend" from the infamous Harlan wedding crash and the bylaws of what constitutes homo/no homo relations: it's only homo if BOTH Crocs want to touch. If only one does, it's no homo.

Kap10merica, Ron, jeepinmatt and 2 others like this.
  3. 77GreenMachine

77GreenMachine Phillip Talton

With those gains I’d say it’s well worth deleting one. Being as I know Jody’s friend as well, I believe those numbers. I have no doubt believing it because I’ve also experienced it first hand with @edward truck. 14mpg towing a heavy trailer shaped like a billboard, and regular 22mpg empty using cruise and a light foot, all deletes on a 40HP tow tune. All hand calculated.

However I will say, it worked well for a while but eventually the clutch started to slip with regular driving. He went with a Southbend and upgraded the master/slave while at it. Never looked back.

4. tsconver

tsconver Well-Known Member

It is just the unicorn then. Very few people ever get any return on a delete and with a G56 he will be replacing a clutch soon. To me unless it is out of warranty and having issues with the emission system it is just not worth it.

Jody Treadway likes this.
  5. 77GreenMachine

Yeah extra fuel mileage and power is dumb. He should have never upgraded it.

Jody tell your friend to return the truck to stock cause this wasn’t worth doing.

While your at it, might as well take the Chromo shafts out of your Ranger. I know they help the truck handle the extra power and give you peace of mind, but you shouldn’t upgrade till you’re having problems, there’s absolutely no reason to prevent a problem before it becomes a problem.

Ron, GONOVRIT, jeepinmatt and 5 others like this.
  6. CasterTroy

CasterTroy Motarded

I wouldn't trust that Jody guy. He'll take a photo of you killing a climb, and photchop his rig into the frame to take the credit

crackhead1.jpg crackhead.jpg

Kap10merica, BigSouth, Ron and 3 others like this.
  7. shawn

shawn running dog lackey of the oppressor class Administrator

Jody knows all the dudes with silver 6-speeds. They're a good bunch.

jeepinmatt and Jody Treadway like this.
  8. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Unless my eyes be deceiving me, looks like someone photoshopped "their" rig on his rig photo...

CasterTroy likes this.
  9. Jody Treadway

I appreciate the dialogue. Seriously.
    After the turbo was replaced just under warranty (by time) due to sticking caused by soot build up (would have been a $2k repair out of pocket) it was time preventatively do some upgrades as this truck is to last the owner a long, long time.
    We all know the issues a failed/failing EGR system can cause on a diesel. Incidentally, the owner was a diesel tech at the local Dodge dealer for quite a while. His thoughts are by removing the potentially damaging items and doing an extremely mild tune (OEM clutch safe) he will see even longer life out of the truck.
    He's beyond any bro dozing years and is still yet to see and sooting on his bumper post-tune.

10. CasterTroy

CasterTroy Motarded

You don't think "I" would do anything like THAT, do you?

:huggy:

Ron, BigClay, jeepinmatt and 3 others like this.
  11. Chris_Keziah

Chris_Keziah Joe Dirt @ Rev Limit Fab

Not sure it's a matter of worth it or not. But if you want your truck to look like this then by all means keep your junk stock.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

JSJJ388 and 77GreenMachine like this.
  12. Jody Treadway

exhaust gas RECIRCULATION
    Recirculation into what?

Chris_Keziah likes this.
  13. Jody Treadway

Same A hole probably Photoshopped these too
    driving line 1.jpg COVER.jpg

14. CasterTroy

CasterTroy Motarded

Oh that's not Photoshop, from what I understand you're only limited by how much rug burn your willing to accept on your knees to be featured in a magazine :huggy:

Kap10merica, Ron, BigClay and 4 others like this.
  15. rcalexander105

rcalexander105 Rod Alexander

:eek:

16. Jody Treadway

No rug burns, just be willing to build a Pro Rock for a good friend so he can sell the article.
    Wheel More, Worry Less: Dynatrac ProRock 44 Review | DrivingLine

BigClay, CasterTroy and jeepinmatt like this.
  17. skyhighZJ

skyhighZJ Thanks for your taxes

all three of my 6.7’s have been like that when I opened them up to do the delete. Opened my 2010 back up when I put a new airhorn on after about 100k and it was as clean as when I cleaned it out during the delete; maybe cleaner.

18. tsconver

Just my thoughts. People can do what they want. But there are a bunch of trucks on other forums with 400k plus miles and bone stock with no issues. If you work it hard it will live a long time bone stock. If you daily drive it and never put a load on it you are not doing the motor justice.

Most of the issues I see on the various Cummins forums are on tuned trucks.

jeepinmatt and Jody Treadway like this.
  19. 77GreenMachine

I feel like this picture, and this personal experience from @skyhighZJ, overrides something just read on the inter webs. Not every truck is being driven super hard and/or towing heavy to keep it cleaned out. In that case, seems perfectly justifiable to delete it and put a SAFE tune on it. Emphasis on safe. If he has to put a clutch in it, so be it. That’s $1500ish for even MORE peace of mind and reliability.

Not everyone is driving these trucks on a hot tune like a pissed off teenager on a drag strip abusing them.

20. Chris_Keziah

Chris_Keziah Joe Dirt @ Rev Limit Fab

Plus it's not like a clutch isn't a serviceable item, and the stocker isn't know for it's awesomeness anyway so that point is null.

tsconver likes this.
  21. 77GreenMachine

Agreed. As far as I recall that is the only drawback of that transmission. My understanding is it’s a very good and sought after transmission. Conver is the first I’ve seen to be a nay sayer.
    It’s also very common to need to upgrade the clutch on any vehicle you add power and torque too.

I feel like it’s the same as saying “you shouldn’t turbo your LS motor because the transmission won’t take the extra power, and the motor is plenty strong stock”. That’s pretty lame.

Time well tell, as I bet Jody’s friend won’t sell the truck anytime in the near future and will report back after many miles.

Chris_Keziah and jeepinmatt like this.
  22. jeepinmatt

jeepinmatt Still Fat

Whada ya mean "you people"? :D

23. skyhighZJ

skyhighZJ Thanks for your taxes

So if for nothing else I deleted mine cause, well, I don’t have the money to be replacing DPF components or egr components or any other number of parts when the egr cooler cracks and dumps coolant into the exhaust manifold or XYZ... the only thing my timer does is make the motor run and I have bumped it up 1 time to see what happened and put it back on the 30hp “stock” tune.

24. tsconver

I am not anti delete. Once my warranty expires which is a long way off I might delete and if something fails I will definitely delete.

EPA is cracking down though so it will get tougher and tougher to do.

I just don't need more power and I cannot afford to toss out a warranty at this point on a 2018 truck.

Jody Treadway likes this.
  25. ckruzer

ckruzer Infidel

Tuning has come a long way. You can now leave EGR installed. Simply bolt in a DPF replacement pipe with muffler and go on your way. If you ever have to go in for warranty (assuming you didnt do any "bruh" raceme crap), you can simply plug back in your egr and bolt back in your DPF, spend a couple more minutes changing the tune back to stock and drive on to the dealership.

There is a smart way to tune/delete, and not-so-smart way. Like with all things! haha