HVAC air purification

justjeepin86

So, I am looking in to adding a UV light or some sort of air purification to my system. What are the pros and cons of the different types. I mainly want to control the mold growth, but we do have some allergies as a family, so that would be a benefit as well. I also have 3 large inside dogs.

bi-polar ionization is the way to go

We have 2 different 4 ton units in our office. One to control the front half, one to control the back. We've had IAQ issues over the years and wanted to change that. We had several vendors interested in "helping us". Listening to all their different pitches, and seeing their product, we asked Hoffman to bring one of their GPS units to test. They came and installed one of these in the front unit so we could have a side by side comparison.

The front offices smell great! No issues, and the filters are noticeably cleaner

Why Use GPS? – Global Plasma Solutions

https://gpshvac.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/GPS-iMOD-IOM-1.pdf

IAQ.jpg

bi-polar ionization is the way to go

We have 2 different 4 ton units in our office. One to control the front half, one to control the back. We've had IAQ issues over the years and wanted to change that. We had several vendors interested in "helping us". Listening to all their different pitches, and seeing their product, we asked Hoffman to bring one of their GPS units to test. They came and installed one of these in the front unit so we could have a side by side comparison.

The front offices smell great! No issues, and the filters are noticeably cleaner

Why Use GPS? – Global Plasma Solutions

https://gpshvac.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/GPS-iMOD-IOM-1.pdf

View attachment 282045

that looks expensive

Whole house hepa system, UV lights in ductwork, electronic air cleaners that are cleaned regularly, sealed filter housings on returns with high quality filters changed monthly,

Keep the dirt/dust off the evap coil so mold won’t grow on the dirt/dust during the cooling season.

May need periodic cleaning of the coil/fan wheel and housing if you get dirt/dust show up there.

The whole house hepa system(s) is the way to go. Pricey to start but a worthwhile investment.

Lastly controlling humidity so that mold has less chance to grow. Wood moisture content below 19%, humidity levels less than or equal to 55%.

Make sure duct systems are actually sealed with mastic and pass blower door tests.

Exhaust fans near showers that duct to outside, dryer vented to outside etc.

And don’t mix crawlspace air with house air.

If you have fresh air intakes on HVAC systems make sure it’s not pulling air at ground level near natural areas. Filter this air and change those filters regularly. Better to get this air from a porch ceiling or roof eave away from the ground.

If you control the moisture you control whether or not mold can grow.

If you control the dust/dirt in the areas that you can’t control the moisture (evap coil in AC unit) then mold will have no food source to grow.

Hepa will filter out mold spores but won’t stop mycotoxins.

Keep mold colonies small, dead, or dormant to prevent continual release of mycotoxins that try colonies release to fight other colonies.

We are caught in the crossfire of these mycotoxins from differing colonies.

that looks expensive

Trane has a more cost effective solution, and for residential applications. If I remember correctly I was going to pay $300 for a 2.5 ton, and $250 for the 1.5 ton for my home. I never pursued it though.

But as you can see from Scott's post, going the manual route (i.e. filters, cleanings etc) ANY solution will involve materials/labor of SOME kind. I was skeptical of the ION pushing sales pitch before, but I'm a believer now. It truly is a "set it and forget it" solution. I'm allergic to basically everything but poison ivy/oak and use to sneeze constantly here in the office. I may sneeze once a day now.

Paging @Mac5005 I need your expertise.....sent message.

I want some professional testing done. With the data I can decide if I'll page @jeepinmatt for his talents.

Back