HP60 Scratch Build Help?

I forgot that the OP wanted to put it on leafs anyway. From what I've seen, the coil spring axles are cheaper, and they come with brackets that might be useful for your own link setup (or not). IIRC, the newer axles had better bearings, but none of those are deal breakers.

Big selling point of the 05+ is 35 spline outers whereas the 99-04 have 30 spline. 99-04 can be bored for 35 spline stubs but you have to disassemble the unit bearing. They can be bought bored but its $$$

I forgot that the OP wanted to put it on leafs anyway. From what I've seen, the coil spring axles are cheaper, and they come with brackets that might be useful for your own link setup (or not). IIRC, the newer axles had better bearings, but none of those are deal breakers.

yeah I've got a bit of time before I'm ready for tons. I've got a 2016 that still has plenty of payments to go before I start being anyway ready to throw tons under it. 37s and toothpicks for me. LOL

Big selling point of the 05+ is 35 spline outers whereas the 99-04 have 30 spline. 99-04 can be bored for 35 spline stubs but you have to disassemble the unit bearing. They can be bought bored but its $$$
For the 99-04, You also lose an inner bearing inside the unit bearing assembly as well when you bore them. Which means that the weight of the entire axle shaft is riding on the axle seals and within the locking hubs practically unsupported instead of floating within the tight tolerance of a roller bearing. Seems a little iffy for long term use, especially years of wheeling and street driving.
This is why I just went with 30 spline 4340 shafts and left the unit bearings alone.

Last edited:
For the 99-04, You also lose an inner bearing inside the unit bearing assembly as well when you bore them. Which means that the weight of the entire axle shaft is riding on the axle seals and within the locking hubs practically unsupported instead of floating within the tight tolerance of a roller bearing. Seems a little iffy for long term use, especially years of wheeling and street driving.
This is why I just went with 30 spline 4340 shafts and left the unit bearings alone.
couldn't it be brass bushed where the bearing would be? Or would that be worse? Could also just run slugs and not worry about it too much.

couldn't it be brass bushed where the bearing would be? Or would that be worse? Could also just run slugs and not worry about it too much.
Well, probably not. Because, when you bore the unit bearing, you take it from 1.31~ish to 1.50"+ which in turns takes away material of the housing itself. This alone weakens the unitbearing, so to take even more material to add a brass lining, would be catastrophic IMO.
Slugs, for street driving, which I'm pretty sure is what the OP will end up doing is a terrible idea. Me personally I would never consider slugs for driving on a highway. There's some that could argue with me all day long about it. That's fine, knock yourself out, but I will not do it.
Expecting to get 05+ strength out of a 99-04 axle is a crap shoot and waste of $$. Just get an 05+.

Well, probably not. Because, when you bore the unit bearing, you take it from 1.31~ish to 1.50"+ which in turns takes away material of the housing itself. This alone weakens the unitbearing, so to take even more material to add a brass lining, would be catastrophic IMO.
Slugs, for street driving, which I'm pretty sure is what the OP will end up doing is a terrible idea. Me personally I would never consider slugs for driving on a highway. There's some that could argue with me all day long about it. That's fine, knock yourself out, but I will not do it.
Expecting to get 05+ strength out of a 99-04 axle is a crap shoot and waste of $$. Just get an 05+.

Branik sleeve's their unit bearings they sell, (TIMKEN 99-04 Super Duty Unit Bearings - 8 ON 6.5 - 35 SPLINE). I've read some concern of thinning out the spindle on the bearing but never seen where anyone has had failures. Quite a few Pirate guys just bore them to ~1.501" and rock out with slugs. Which Is my plan when ever I build a front or go to tons. Slugs on the street are no different than any TJ or JK that wheels and pounds pavement. All personal preference and how much money you want to spend to be the way you want it.

Branik sleeve's their unit bearings they sell, (TIMKEN 99-04 Super Duty Unit Bearings - 8 ON 6.5 - 35 SPLINE). I've read some concern of thinning out the spindle on the bearing but never seen where anyone has had failures. Quite a few Pirate guys just bore them to ~1.501" and rock out with slugs. Which Is my plan when ever I build a front or go to tons. Slugs on the street are no different than any TJ or JK that wheels and pounds pavement. All personal preference and how much money you want to spend to be the way you want it.
True. Good to see that actually.
So here's where I'm at.... Branick unit bearings redrilled 8 on 6 1/2, sleeved with the price of 35-spline stubs and locking hubs is a lot of damn money.
I did the math on it one time and I could seriously buy three or more complete 05 + Dana 60s for the price I would spend on making my 99-04 60 the equivalent in strength. Granted, I could do 80% of that in-house with the resources I have at work. And then theres still a few other things about the 05 plus 60s that make them that much better than the predecessor. I'm looking at it as far as cost effectiveness.
I like my '04 60 with the configuration I have, slider boxes, leaf springs, etc. But the reality of it is, for less money than I've already invested I could have a newer model super duty 60 and set it up for coilovers and links which is ultimately what I'll end up with anyways.
Not to undermine the awesomeness of having a super duty 60 front, being that any and all parts I can walk into any Ford dealership and buy straight off the shelf and keep on rocking out with my cock out..... hubs, shafts, lockouts, knuckles and so forth. But I could also enjoy that same benefit with a super 60 with a lot less potential failure.

So here's where I'm at.... Branick unit bearings redrilled 8 on 6 1/2, sleeved with the price of 35-spline stubs and locking hubs is a lot of damn money.
I did the math on it one time and I could seriously buy three or more complete 05 + Dana 60s for the price I would spend on making my 99-04 60 the equivalent in strength. Granted, I could do 80% of that in-house with the resources I have at work. And then theres still a few other things about the 05 plus 60s that make them that much better than the predecessor. I'm looking at it as far as cost effectiveness.
I like my '04 60 with the configuration I have, slider boxes, leaf springs, etc. But the reality of it is, for less money than I've already invested I could have a newer model super duty 60 and set it up for coilovers and links which is ultimately what I'll end up with anyways.
Not to undermine the awesomeness of having a super duty 60 front, being that any and all parts I can walk into any Ford dealership and buy straight off the shelf and keep on rocking out with my cock out..... hubs, shafts, lockouts, knuckles and so forth. But I could also enjoy that same benefit with a super 60 with a lot less potential failure.

No argument there, the 05+ is way cheaper. I won't turn this into a super duty chat so I'll refrain from rambling why I prefer the 99-04 over the 05+

Plus all the beer you're able to drink while grinding away all the castings and bulk that can be removed from an 05+ :lol: HUGE Benefit.

Hail yeah. :beer:

Back