How to temporarily block illegal bypasses, and Closed Trails/FS Roads

Alright, Im going to go back a short bit and mention that the FS has a UTV and ATV I believe, and they don't like riding them. So its not a matter of inability, its a matter of unwillingness. Also, if word gets out that there is a FS person riding around the trails ticketting people, even if that person can't be everywhere at once, knowing he is out there I guarantee less people are running the bypasses.

I don't know about you all, but I would be willing to ride the ATV/UTV around for a few hours a day patrolling trails, especially if I was getting paid.

A Volunteer patrol doesn't work because to be frank, you aren't a cop, you have no real power over the offender, and as such, they will laugh at you unless your willing to go a bit further, and risk charges by overstepping your rights.

Giving the FS a trail ready rig wouldn't solve the problem, because they will continue not to run the trails and patrol. Sure, its a good gesture, and it looks great for the 4x4 Community, but its a waste.

Maybe just tell folks there are nails and spikes along the bypasses, if enough of us start spreading that rumor among the stupids at URE, I suspect that might work... a little...

I think the role of the volunteer should be to educate and or help first and report only if things escalate.

A volunteer patrol doesn't need "power" over the offender, they would just need a radio to contact the FS if needed and the FS could handle it.

But in an ideal situation, the radio wouldn't even be needed (hopefully), the volunteer would inform the "offender" that they are on an illegal bypass or committing some other illegal action and the "offender" would correct their own behavior.
Some people honestly just don't know any better and just need some helpful advice.

Alright, Im going to go back a short bit and mention that the FS has a UTV and ATV I believe, and they don't like riding them. So its not a matter of inability, its a matter of unwillingness. Also, if word gets out that there is a FS person riding around the trails ticketting people, even if that person can't be everywhere at once, knowing he is out there I guarantee less people are running the bypasses.

I don't know about you all, but I would be willing to ride the ATV/UTV around for a few hours a day patrolling trails, especially if I was getting paid.

A Volunteer patrol doesn't work because to be frank, you aren't a cop, you have no real power over the offender, and as such, they will laugh at you unless your willing to go a bit further, and risk charges by overstepping your rights.

Giving the FS a trail ready rig wouldn't solve the problem, because they will continue not to run the trails and patrol. Sure, its a good gesture, and it looks great for the 4x4 Community, but its a waste.

Maybe just tell folks there are nails and spikes along the bypasses, if enough of us start spreading that rumor among the stupids at URE, I suspect that might work... a little...

i agree with the last post, teaching the person what is wrong is more affective most times then arresting them. people look for the easy when or what the guy in front of them does.

i agree with the last post, teaching the person what is wrong is more affective most times then arresting them. people look for the easy when or what the guy in front of them does.

I think the nice education approach would work for the people who appreciate and respect our hobby and the trails. The problem is there are a select few who have no respect for this hobby or the trails and are there just to tear stuff up and have their own form of a good time.

I haven't seen a lot of bypass violations but I do see a lot of drinking on the trails. We all know that it only take one serious accident on the trails due drinking and driving and the trails could be shut down. So I try using the education method to explain to these people they could ruin it for everyone. More times than not it ends up with heated discussion about me not being the trail police and they are just out there having a good time.

It would be a lot more effective and safer if there was a way to get FS out on the trails especially at night.

It would be a lot more effective and safer if there was a way to get FS out on the trails especially at night.
What he said.
It would not take many tickets to make a big difference. A check point along Rocky Mountian Loop would get a lot of attention day or night.
I think a lot of the bypassers just don't know. Yea some don't care and are ready to fight if you speak up. I have made commets to people on the trail and they act supprised. There are a lot of first timers out there ,seems like every time I go.
We all need to bring this subject up on the trail and around campfires.
It is hard to stop the use of an illegal bypass with legal methods.
Storeman
_________________ _

Back