How to tell if a shaft is chromoly or not

Van-go

Not an old man
I was on Facebook and found a guy selling "G2 Chromoly 35 spline inner axle shafts for a 78/79 Ford axle."

How do I verify that I am getting actual chromo's or something else?

See his pics

IMG_0121.JPG
IMG_0120.JPG

Should say 4340 on the ears.

I thought that too, but every image that is online at retailers doesn't have anything stamped.

They look like G2 shafts, but just not sure if I trust that they are chromoly.

I'd also verify lengths with what you need. We rode all over Harlan and hazard county ky one night to buy a chromo 60 shaft, and it ended up being a mix of shortened inners and ford stubs, that the guy advertised as chevys.

Is the price that much better than ecgs stuff with warranty?

I'd also verify lengths with what you need. We rode all over Harlan and hazard county ky one night to buy a chromo 60 shaft, and it ended up being a mix of shortened inners and ford stubs, that the guy advertised as chevys.

Is the price that much better than ecgs stuff with warranty?

Yep, $200 shipped for them. Both inners. Verified length already.

I thought most ChroMo stuff didn't have the raised seal surface. It'd be same dia. full length???? Either way, good price for full spare set.

I thought most ChroMo stuff didn't have the raised seal surface. It'd be same dia. full length???? Either way, good price for full spare set.
This.
I have never seen "chromo" shafts with a raised surface like that.
I'd be quite careful if it were me.

So, I talked to the guy on the phone.
He was actually pretty nice and seemed like a good guy.

Said that he bought out an off-road shop a little while back and a bunch of shafts were in the shop on a pallet.

IMG_0144.JPG
IMG_0143.JPG
IMG_0142.JPG

IMG_0152.JPG

He said this is a list of everything he has. He is trying to sell them all if anyone is interested. His name is Cody and his number is (817) 888-5103

It is kind of weird that almost every website that sells these Dana 60 Shafts says that they are chromoly.

Then the G2 website says they are 1541H steel.

Are they still stronger than stock and worth $200?

Found this on pirate.
I think that for $200 more I can have chromoly ones from ECGS. I'll just bite that bullet.

"Most OEM shafts are 1040-1050 but some may also be 1541. Most aftermarket stock replacement shaft are 1541 and most of the custom rear flanged axles like all the Currie, Dynatrac, Dutchman, and Moser rear shafts are 1541. 1541 is a plain high carbon steel similar to 1040 but with added manganese for better hardenability, but there is not enough alloying elements in it to be classified as an "alloy" steel. 1040 & 1541 are used because it is cheap and good enough for what is required by stock axles, they heat treat 1040 & 1541 by induction hardening which is a production form of case hardening, it is fast, cheap and works very well, 1541 is able be be hardened to a greater depth (better hardenability) than 1040/1050 and therefore stronger. 1541 is not much more expensive than 1040/1050, it probably equates to only a dollar or two more per axle, when your dealing with the scale of OEM axle production numbers that is a lot of money, but with aftermarket axle production numbers that is not that big of a deal and the consumers would pay that extra amount without question for the increased strength.

4140, 4340 and 300M are true alloy steels. 4140 is alloyed with chromium, molydenum and 4340 with chromiun, molydenum and nickel. 300M is also called 4340 modified because it basically 4340 with silicon added. The strength of steel is generally directly related to the hardness, the harder you can get the steel, the stronger it is (tensile strength) but you generally loose toughness. These alloys give the steel increased hardenability and good toughness at higher hardness/strength levels, they can be induction hardened but their purpose and advantage is that they can be thru hardened because of their better hardenability. 4340 has better hardenability than 4140 so is can be heat treated harder and thus stronger than 4140. 300M has a similar hardenability to 4340 but the added silicon gives it more toughness at higher hardness levels. The 4140 and 4340 raw material is available in commercial and aircraft quality and 300M is generally only available in aircraft quality. Aircraft quality means it is vacuum melted to minimize the impurities but costs more. Most 4140 and 4340 axles are made of commercial quality steel. The material cost differrences between 1541 and commercial 4140/4340 is not that great, again it probably only equates to only a few dollars more per axle, the big cost difference is from the increased heat treating costs and the smaller production runs of 4340 axles. 4140 and 4340 axles have to be thru hardened in an oven which costs more than induction hardening of a 1541 or 1040 axle. 300M should be heat treated in a vacuum furnace and other expensive process to make it correctly plus the added material costs for aircraft quality materal make the end product more expensive. 300M axles are usually custom made, a few sets at a time which adds to the production costs."

Those ain't chromo's, they're 1541H but they are G2. G2 AXLE & GEAR | HOME

The other thing is G2 doesn't make chromo shafts for the Ford 44, just the TJ/JK 44's.
@Jody Treadway @Mac5005
Called G2 and the tech guy said that the part number I have them (97-2034-004/5) was actually 4340 Chromoly.
He said their rear shafts are all 1541H

I told him what the website read and he said it was wrong and that he was reading from their catalog. I asked for a copy and he said he was not able to send me that...
:confused:

Looks like the catalog says 4340 Chromoly

IMG_0159.PNG
IMG_0160.PNG
IMG_0161.PNG

Back