How to fix hydraulic floor jacks?

thecarman

I have two hydraulic jacks that have failed.

Jack #1 - 2.5 ton, it was working fine, worked for years, then all of a sudden would not work at all. Won't raise at all.

Jack #2 - 3 ton, I bought it when #1 failed, only about a year ago. Worked fine to jack up one wheel of a Waggy Sunday morning, then tried to use it later in the day, and it will raise, but will not raise a load. Like you can jack it up with no weight on it, and it will go up. You can also put a load on it once it is raised, and it will hold it. But it will not jack up (raise) any amount of weight.

Is there a way to fix these? O-rings or something? I hate to just keep buying new jacks. :)

Thanks!
Richard

Have you tried putting oil in them? I know you can take out the lowering plug and put hydraulic jack oil in them. That might also be where the o ring is. Not sure though, never had one apart. Hope this helps.

Good topic, I've been wondering this myself. I have a 2.5 ton craftsman jack that slowly leaks and lowers your load, taking up space in my garage. I finally broke down and bought a 3ton at Tractor Supply when the ol' Craftsman wouldnt lift the front of my Cummins Ram.
I never looked too hard, but its gotta be an O-ring or some seal.

Back