How to dispose of old gas/kerosene

BigClay

Knower of useless ZJ things
Cleaning out my garage and I found that I have a couple gallons of gasoline and a couple gallons of kerosene that have been sitting for years and I am wondering how to dispose of them. I live in a neighborhood, so using them for bondfire starting agents is not an option.

collection center will take them, here in Chatham Co they have hazardous waste collection one saturday a month at the landfill also

3RC on MLK across from BGS. That's all the acronyms I could come up with. I'd probably run the gas through my oldest vehicle or work it through my mowers in small batches. The kero might still be good for a heater, as long as there's no water in it. Hell, gimme a week and I might get it off you. I could use it for bonfire fuel. I'm in the county!

Every municipality in NC has a drop off for "household hazardous waste". Times vary though. Durham has crazy set hours, mostly half days. I know that anything gasoline base goes in 1 tank and non gas goes in another.

weed killer?

yeah... honestly last week I poured out about a gallon on the brush pile in back just to get rid of it and kill off the weeds.
It's non-flamable within minutes.

But the *right* thing to do is take it to 3RC downtown. Give the guys working off their community service time something to do.

I'd burn both. Gas in the gas car, k1 in the diesel. Mix them heavily with "good" fuel.

Bad gas can set you back if it settles in the carb bowl / clogs injecters. Depending on how bad the gas actually is, I'd rather let $20 of gas go before spending about a total day and a $40 kit pulling and rebuilding a carb or maybe half day pulling and cleaning out 8 injecters. Heck, as busy as I am now, my fees would surpass $20 in about 20 minutes. :flipoff2: Seems a no-brainer but each his own.

x2 for using kerosene to clean parts / hands. I always keep it and usually for many years. Best shit for anything grease / oil related. and still mild at the same time.

If I was closer I would take it off your hands, in fact I would pour them both in my fuel tank and never blink an eye. Diesel....

Just took 8 gal. of age unknown-2-cycle boat gas,to a local garage; poured in their waste tank. Any place that changes oil, will have a waste oil tank, & should let you dispose of a few gallons. The kero, should still be good for cleaning, & kero type heaters; or donate to a Large diesel tank!

most places won't take anything "fuel" unless its a special hazardous collection time.

Use it to start your charcoal grill. Works wonders; its what I've been doing since my father taught me when I was 6 :lol:

most places won't take anything "fuel" unless its a special hazardous collection time.

Use it to start your charcoal grill. Works wonders; its what I've been doing since my father taught me when I was 6 :lol:

That just don't sound right to me??? :eek: Wouldn't you taste it? Or does it burn off quick?

That just don't sound right to me??? :eek: Wouldn't you taste it? Or does it burn off quick?

You gotta wait 15-20 mins for the charcoal to heat up anyway, by then it is loooong goooone

The new unleaded fuel these days doesn't taste as good as the leaded gas from years ago.....

On a serious note, do you taste lighter fluid when you use it??? No? This is the same thing only faster and MUCH easier! ;)

Back