How many people have been stopped and ticketed for overweight towing

junkman

Lets here from you . I have never seen a pickup stopped and weighed

I have only heard of one....

He was stopped because he had an extra strap loose flapping in the wind..
but then the cop tried to stop him he did not have wider mirrors on so he did not see cop for a little while.. then when he did finally stop cop looked at plate and asked to see registeration and it was all down hill from there...

but he still only got a Warning :)

I got a warning from a DOT Officer in 1996 in Efland. I had car tags and my F-150s empty weight exceeded them. He did not pull out the scales but he told me that if he did I would be looking at a big fine. I had a bed full of firewood and a 16' tamdem axle flatbed also loaded with firewood. Ain't no telling how much weight was there. I have had "weighted" tags ever since that day.

our work truck got stopped in TN. We were rated for a toal of 12K# total truck and trailer, and when we were weighed we were over 19K#!!!

We had to leave the trailer on the side of the road with all the welders on it until our lowboy with a forklift came and loaded it on our tractor trailer. The fact that we didn't have trailer lights, trailer brakes, chains, safety pin in pintle hitch, or break-away brakes on the trailer didn't help our luck either. Its a company truck and we use what we got. I wouldn't do it like that normally, but sometimes ya take a chance and this time we got caught. don't do like us...

now all of our equipment is fairly well setup like it should be.

Rob

Troopers in MD are fierce... especially during the summer. I've personally been pulled a couple of times, and damn near everybody I worked with was pulled as well. Unmarked pickups with equipment trailers, box vans, dumps, didn't matter. If it wasn't a car, they flagged you down, checked license and reg, checked for safety equip, DOT numbers, unplacarded hazmat, load covers and tiedowns, and checked the weight at each axle.

If they wrote a ticket, it was usually in the $1500-2500 range. If your fire extinguisher wasn't charged or something, they'd just tell you to get it fixed. But if there were more severe problems with the truck - overweight, unsecured load, etc - they wrote you up for *everything*.

Now, some of that was because the trucks were being used commercially... and a guy towing a boat might get a little more leniency. But outside of NC, if you're towing a buggy with a bunch of sponsor stickers on it, it's frequently treated as "race" equipment, and lumped in with commercial traffic. Plenty of threads on the PBB to support this, too. YMMV and FYI and whatever....

saf-t scissors said:
Troopers in MD are fierce... especially during the summer. I've personally been pulled a couple of times, and damn near everybody I worked with was pulled as well. Unmarked pickups with equipment trailers, box vans, dumps, didn't matter. If it wasn't a car, they flagged you down, checked license and reg, checked for safety equip, DOT numbers, unplacarded hazmat, load covers and tiedowns, and checked the weight at each axle.

If they wrote a ticket, it was usually in the $1500-2500 range. If your fire extinguisher wasn't charged or something, they'd just tell you to get it fixed. But if there were more severe problems with the truck - overweight, unsecured load, etc - they wrote you up for *everything*.

Now, some of that was because the trucks were being used commercially... and a guy towing a boat might get a little more leniency. But outside of NC, if you're towing a buggy with a bunch of sponsor stickers on it, it's frequently treated as "race" equipment, and lumped in with commercial traffic. Plenty of threads on the PBB to support this, too. YMMV and FYI and whatever....

Sounds like they don't have enough to do. I guess my buddy with his Eagle wagon would get pulled too since he put a bunch of stickers on it. hardly a race vehicle though.

my dad was stopped and weighed (and ticketed :lol: ) once. he was in the process of hauling all his junk back to TN when he retired, had a 3/4 ton suburban(loaded down) pulling a tandem axle utility trailer (LOADED down) i don't remember how much he said it weighed, but seems the ticket was around $120 or so. he lucked up and the officer let him go, just told him to be careful.

A bud of mine got pulled in VA on 77 two years ago pulling a camper with his dually. He only had car tags on it and they fined him alot.

Sam(slim)

How about this? My parents live in Colorado and they do not have weighted tags for light trucks. (i.e. one ton trucks like the f 350, 3500 dodges and chevys.) When I moved to NC, Dad drove his PSD with all my furniture in a u haul. He didn't get stopped, but how they gonna know what he's rated for? You get the same tags for a truck as for a car.

rattlecanpaint said:
How about this? My parents live in Colorado and they do not have weighted tags for light trucks. (i.e. one ton trucks like the f 350, 3500 dodges and chevys.) When I moved to NC, Dad drove his PSD with all my furniture in a u haul. He didn't get stopped, but how they gonna know what he's rated for? You get the same tags for a truck as for a car.

The Weighted tags now say weighted on them.

Sam(slim)

sam(slim) said:
The Weighted tags now say weighted on them.

Sam(slim)
Not allways you can pay the fee but still have a normal tag if you don't trade it in. also if you have personal plates they may not say that either

Ridgerunner said:
Not allways you can pay the fee but still have a normal tag if you don't trade it in. also if you have personal plates they may not say that either

That's only up to 6,000lbs... And as for the personal tags, look left.. :) They say weighted, and look totally different from car plates.

Doing a little thinking about this and how can a DMV from another state give you a ticket for weight other then being unsafe and overloaded.
Most of the over weight tickets on big trucks are given from the truck being over loaded for the road. (over its max GCWG) Now they do have a USDOT # and pay for the states they haul in in most cases.
Its like going to another state and them giving you a ticket for an out of date NC Inspection sticker or being over the lift laws, or towing two trailers.
Most states let you do it if its ok in the state you live for the most part.
Jon

Back