How bad does Progressive Insurance suck?

TARider

I just got my annual car insurance renewal info and plugged it into Progressives site to get a comparison. They are substantially cheaper than what I'm paying now. Even after losing the homeowners discount (if I don't wind up shopping that next) I'd still save a good bit each year.
That being said, I've had good luck and service with my current provider so wouldn't want to switch if they really bring the suck.
So, what has been your experience with Progressive, either good or bad?

on my homeowners with progressive, they are making me put up a hand rail on my porch. Even though I meet local code. Also made me fix a low spot on my roof. However for the small cost of the repair & hand rail compared to the about I save being with them I am fulfilling the requests..

I got hit a few years ago by a guy with progressive....I wouldn't wish that on anybody. Headache after headache dealing with tgem.

X2 on GEICO. I insured two vehicles, one full coverage and one liability and GEICO was the only one that quoted under $90 a month. Progressive was $100+

I cancelled a policy with progressive one time when I switched to another provider. I was paid up when I cancelled it. I got a bill 3 months later for $4xx. Fuck them

I'm incredibly grateful I qualify for USAA. I've never had any issue with them. I have had several auto loans, my renters insurance (which I actually had to use last year), and a major credit card through them. They are absolutely fantastic.

I was very happy with progressive for about 10 years. I shopped around every few years, and they were always the cheapest, even factoring in the lost homeowners insurance discount. They gave me the basic minimum coverage I needed, everything was good. Then sh!t happened, my wife got sideswiped by a big rig, and even though the cops came and wrote big rig a ticket, progressive simply wrote us a check and didn't go after the other insurance. I was then involved in a head on sideswipe, I called the cops, but the other guy took off, so there was another not-my-fault accident (no payout this time) on our record. The third incident was the final straw; I wasn't happy with the way they treated me, seemed to string me along saying everything was ok, then after the settlement, they notified me my policy would no longer be handled by the standard progressive insurance co., it would go to one of their other companies. I shopped around again, this time GEICO was even cheaper than the progressive rate before my final incident. Needless to say, i'm now with GEICO.

on my homeowners with progressive, they are making me put up a hand rail on my porch. Even though I meet local code. Also made me fix a low spot on my roof. However for the small cost of the repair & hand rail compared to the about I save being with them I am fulfilling the requests..
Thats not just progressive homeowners insurance, nationwide made me fix our handrail too. That was out of the blue, I guess insurance adjusters cruise around looking for this crap?! We got a letter in the mail saying our handrail needed to be fixed by a certain date or they would no longer insure us. I put the railing back,up, emailed a pic, and been good for a few years now.

I'm incredibly grateful I qualify for USAA. I've never had any issue with them. I have had several auto loans, my renters insurance (which I actually had to use last year), and a major credit card through them. They are absolutely fantastic.

agreed, I'll most likely be a member for life.

I wish I could qualify. I even work for the Army. Several of my coworkers have it, and all signs point to awesomeness.

All those cheap rate companies are great until you get hit by a driver with their insurance.
99% of the time they will dispute and go to arbitration.

Guess what? If that happens to you as a driver with the cheap insurance ... the other guy can by pass insurance and take you to court.

I was hit in the back while sitting in a turn lane by a guy going straight .... between the cheap insurance and his buddy/neighbor crooked cop from K-vegas it took a year and a half to get it fixed.
But it was fun threatening a LEO and his Captain and getting away with it.
Threatening the Captain really got the cop on the ball.

Matt

I had progressive for 10+ years thru an agent I had been with since 16 years old. Long story short I had 2 vehicles on full coverage, latter belong to my ex wife. Once I paid her car of and cancelled her insurance, leaving one truck, the new rate was only $65 less than having both; from $1180 for 6 months to $1115. Albeit with no points in 6-8 years. I cried bullshit. Went to farm bureau where my home/life/health was and went to $450 for 6 months. Called my agent back, she said no way, sent her a copy of the quote and cussed her out for screwing me for years. Recently added a 2nd truck on its own commercial policy and its only $365! Needless to say I won't go back. Now have 2 commercial trucks, (read high gvw) and am only paying $600 and change with full coverage and same limits as progressive.

On a funny note, fb asked if I wanted to finance and I chuckled, saying that I'm afraid y'all screwed up so I'm paying in full. they saved me over $600 on the first truck!

Back