House build start to finish

The block guy was out of Linville above Marion. He is a pastor/landscaper....block mason.

I hate to be so particular but I can't see sealing the wall to that slop and installing the drain line. It will need to come out and then grout the block at the footer and where he did not stucco the wall or fill the bottom joints.
What's really aggravating is telling them to clean up the slop and fill the joints and they still don't do it.

Shitrock is not allowed in our house so all walls, ceilings will be knotty pine including the finished section of the basement.

How are you going to get an air barrier with no sheetrock and knotty pine panelling (T&G, I assume??)??

How are you going to get an air barrier with no sheetrock and knotty pine panelling (T&G, I assume??)??

Builder says they are going to use tyvek wrap. Said when sealed acts as water and air barrier. I'll have to look into it though...and learn the sealing process.

Builder says they are going to use tyvek wrap. Said when sealed acts as water and air barrier. I'll have to look into it though...and learn the sealing process.

Gonna install Tyvek on the interior surface of the walls and ceilings, tape all the seams, and apply a self-healing membrane over any place that a nail might poke a hole in it in the future? Seems unlikely.

Gonna install Tyvek on the interior surface of the walls and ceilings, tape all the seams, and apply a self-healing membrane over any place that a nail might poke a hole in it in the future? Seems unlikely.

Yep...it does seem unlikely. Any suggestions about an air barrier for a home like mine are appreciated.

Yep...it does seem unlikely. Any suggestions about an air barrier for a home like mine are appreciated.

The wall should look more or less like this, interior to exterior:

Interior wall finishes. Gypsum wallboard, taped and mudded. Fiberglass batts with kraft facing. Exterior sheathing, exterior air barrier (Tyvek or similar product), exterior finishes. Exterior drainage plane or air cavity where required.

The wall should look more or less like this, interior to exterior:

Interior wall finishes. Gypsum wallboard, taped and mudded. Fiberglass batts with kraft facing. Exterior sheathing, exterior air barrier (Tyvek or similar product), exterior finishes. Exterior drainage plane or air cavity where required.

Don't you live in a yurt?

I'm not using gypsum. I'm doing knotty pine tongue and groove. Any suggestions with that kind of interior...?

Knotty pine boards don't make an air barrier. Need to have GWB with seams taped and mudded.

Or closed-cell polyurethane insulation.... but I bet that's going to be cost-prohibitive.

I cleaned off the footers and broke off all the concrete slop. Today I'm doing a final cleaning before the stucco guy/mason gets here to finish the last 4" he never did at the footer. Builder plans on wrapping the basement with plastic over the brush on rubber sealant. I've had a friend in the business say that many builders don't do that anymore because water gets trapped behind the plastic if it gets cut while backfilling or deteriorates. He claims it was popular during the 80's and 90's but is not needed.
What about that...Plastic or not?

Also, after cleaning off the 7-8" of dirt and slag from the footer there is a narrow trough for the drain pipe to lay on the footer. There is about 3-4" of space between the pipe and that dirt/clay bank that is 8" tall. Is that enough space for the gravel and silt cloth? I'm thinking a foot of gravel above the pipe and to the side of the pipe????

Attachments

• 0724171113d.jpg
    0724171113d.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 194
  • 0724171115.jpg
    0724171115.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 193
  • 0724171115a.jpg
    0724171115a.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 215
I'm not using gypsum. I'm doing knotty pine tongue and groove. Any suggestions with that kind of interior...?

Why no gypsum? Drywall, paper tape, and mud are inexpensive. The system goes up fast and creates a good air/thermal barrier. All you need is one coat of mud and there is no need to do any sanding, finishing, or painting.

You could use OSB but it is much harder to tape and the tape is more expensive. And it rots faster if it gets wet. And is even more likely to mold because processed wood. AdvanTech or Zip OSB sheathing products are pretty expensive.

Why no gypsum? Drywall, paper tape, and mud are inexpensive. The system goes up fast and creates a good air/thermal barrier. All you need is one coat of mud and there is no need to do any sanding, finishing, or painting.

You could use OSB but it is much harder to tape and the tape is more expensive. And it rots faster if it gets wet. And is even more likely to mold because processed wood. AdvanTech or Zip OSB sheathing products are pretty expensive.

Big dog, he already said "no shitrock". Pine paneling only. Yall need to get over your uppity high class Cary living attitude.

If you use paperless facing, the GWB can't grow mold.

The Mason isn't a guy by the name of Paul Hood is it? If so, get him off your site immediately. Not joking.

Any suggestions about an air barrier for a home like mine are appreciated.

Big dog, he already said "no shitrock". Pine paneling only. Yall need to get over your uppity high class Cary living attitude.

He asked for suggestions for an air barrier. I gave my best suggestion and also mentioned an inferior and more expensive/PITA option. He can use tobacco cloth for all I care.

Mason's name is Charlley/Charlie Bradley out of north marion. He came by yesterday to apply the stucco to the bottom I had cleaned and prepped for him. When he got there the bug guy was there spraying the gravel for termites. Charlie went ahead and slapped some stucco on the bottom and by the time he finished all 3 sides, bug spay was washing out from under the bottom block and backfilling up the footer about 12 feet x 1.5" deep. I only saw fluid coming from that one area so maybe I can just re-mortar that section. Had a big storm last night and all my clean footers have about 2" of silt on them.
Next step is re-shovel and sweep clean the footer, apply the rubber sealer lay pipe ad rock and silt cloth...

As far as the air barrier I'll be looking into it. We don't like sheet rock so hopefully there's an affordable and good option for sealing the home. Maybe I'll do it myself...

Don't like sheet rock for the appearance, or some other performance reason?
Rock is cheap enough that you could consider just doing it as a bottom layer, then do your fancy-pants wood paneling on top of it. Then you get all the benefits while covering your air seal issue (and making it easy to change the wall covering later)

Nothing wrong with sheetrock. It's cheap, and solves a bunch of problems.

Back