Hot Water Heater

Cherokeekid88

So our hot water heater from 1998 has finally crapped out I think. Noticed the last couple of days, it’s taken some time to warm up the water and then this afternoon, I noticed the box it sits on in the garage was soaked and had water pooled up in certain spots. It’s a 40 gallon gas heater. Anyone know of anyone reputable that can change one out? What’s the average cost to replace nowadays?

Electric or gas?

I have a thread or two on here about changing my electric out and some self inflicted wounds in doing so. Looking back, I’d do it again myself before calling someone in to do it. Replace like for like and it’s very easy. Coming from someone who knew nothing, hates electrical and fuct it up twice.

Guy that is possibly going to do the install said that I need to measure the height of the heater, which is about 45 inches from bottom to top, when I search Lowe’s for replacements, most short heaters are at least 51 inches.

If you've gotten 25-26 years out of that, It's probably paid for itself at least twice! Maybe something is far different on gas. Electric heaters are lucky to pass 7 years. And 40 gallons? How have you gotten by with that, unless the gas heater has kept you very well supplied. Most electric heaters are minimum 60 gallons, & a Family usually needs more than that. I'm Flabbergasted with the Labor cost suggested here!

If you've gotten 25-26 years out of that, It's probably paid for itself at least twice! Maybe something is far different on gas. Electric heaters are lucky to pass 7 years. And 40 gallons? How have you gotten by with that, unless the gas heater has kept you very well supplied. Most electric heaters are minimum 60 gallons, & a Family usually needs more than that. I'm Flabbergasted with the Labor cost suggested here!

Mine (electric) from 78 we just replaced two years ago. It was still working but didn’t work optimally. Home inspector 6 years before that said it’s probably on its last leg. I told him it had been for the past 20 years already

Flush the tank once in a while and change the anode and they will last far longer than the warranty. Sediment and galvanic corrosion are generally what kill them.

Gas heaters have faster 1hr recovery rates because they can dump a crap ton of heat at the water really quickly. Electric water heaters are a touch more efficient but slower on the recovery rate.

Go to AOSmith and look for a 40 gallon low heater

Nevermind the image, click the spec sheet.

Lowe's can typically get most AOSmith heaters. From the application it sounds like you need a low boy

And while I wouldn't piss on a tankless water heater, this may be a more budget friendly option for you. I'd have to see your situation to really know, but this won't be "cheap" by any means.

Like Braxton said... Unless you're pretty up on the fuel/gas code, and feel real comfortable not dying from half assing something, this is NOT a DIY no matter what any keyboard warrior home improvement expert may say

Flush the tank once in a while and change the anode and they will last far longer than the warranty. Sediment and galvanic corrosion are generally what kill them.

Gas heaters have faster 1hr recovery rates because they can dump a crap ton of heat at the water really quickly. Electric water heaters are a touch more efficient but slower on the recovery rate.
I do flush a couple times a year. It's been cleaner than expected, but I do need to change the anode!

Go to AOSmith and look for a 40 gallon low heater

Nevermind the image, click the spec sheet.

Lowe's can typically get most AOSmith heaters. From the application it sounds like you need a low boy

And while I wouldn't piss on a tankless water heater, this may be a more budget friendly option for you. I'd have to see your situation to really know, but this won't be "cheap" by any means.

Like Braxton said... Unless you're pretty up on the fuel/gas code, and feel real comfortable not dying from half assing something, this is NOT a DIY no matter what any keyboard warrior home improvement expert may say
FYI if you need an AO Smith heater - stepmom runs their distribution for NC. Might have a hookup

FYI if you need an AO Smith heater - stepmom runs their distribution for NC. Might have a hookup
Dang! Thats a nice offer! I appreciate that! We are actually headed to Lowe’s here in a few to pick up an AO smith and bring it to the house because the guy thinks he could get to it today.

For the record, I replaced a gas hot water heater for a close family friend back in 2020 and all her quotes were right at $1000 labor.
Ok, so that makes me feel better. He also told us that if we pay him to do it and give him cash, he won't charge tax and he will help us out with some things if we need extra parts for anything.

Mine blew in during a holiday weekend. And i had important business all the next week, 6am to 8pm. So i was forced to get someone out Monday after i spent the weekend cleaning up. That was a $5k bill. Could have easily done it myself - i have the tools and knowledge but did not have the TIME. The 80g tank was only $1000, and i already had spare pex laying around... I cried a river man. If you can, and you have the time, try to do it yourself.

Mine blew in during a holiday weekend. And i had important business all the next week, 6am to 8pm. So i was forced to get someone out Monday after i spent the weekend cleaning up. That was a $5k bill. Could have easily done it myself - i have the tools and knowledge but did not have the TIME. The 80g tank was only $1000, and i already had spare pex laying around... I cried a river man. If you can, and you have the time, try to do it yourself.
So I ended up getting an AO Smith from Lowe's for $689 and guy came out and charged $900 to install and sort of reroute everything above as he didn't like the way it was set up. Didn't really want to spend $1600 but he was able to squeeze us in the next day and had it done by the time we got home after work. With it being gas, I didn't really want to mess with it. I don't know anything about it, so I didn't want to take a chance.

Back