Homemade lift

sarasotausmc

So at DPG last weekend, saw many trucks that cut out the rear spring hangers from the bottom for a home made shackle flip. I asked plenty of questions and was told that was the way to go for an easy 4" lift for nothing. Couple of questions though that I didn't ask:

1) Can they be cut with a plasma cutter before taking them off or removing the springs? Not worried about heat on the bushings, they need replaced anyway. Is that too close to cut near the gas tank?

2) What are the dimensions of the cut?

3) Why isn't this posted on any of the forums as a cheap mod?

Thanks

George

I did a shackle flip on my Z71 but I bought the kit, it is possible to cut it out obviously, and I have seen it on a few boards before, just keep in mind that if you do cut out the bottom of the hanger you should probably weld in a support across the top of it to keep it sturdy since you just cut a large peice out of the bottom of it. Honestly its really easy to remove the spring, just unbolt it then you don't have to worry about overheating the bushing or whatever and then you can also use the shackle to guage how much your gonna need to cut outof the bottom. Oh and if its a Chevy (and I think some fords and dodges have the same shape shackle) don't for get to turn the shackle around which way it is facing when you flip it up.

your fine cutting it on the vehicle, ive done 3 that way with a torch. you done have to weld a support on top, but it would probably help. my blazer on 39 tsls didnt fold the hanger and mine wasnt braced.

I'm also one of those guys you are referring to. I was driving the blue Chevy pickup with the rollcage on the back.

Anyways, I didn't brace it from the top when I performed this mod. GM uses a "kicker brace" from the bottom side of the frame that is bolted the the shackle hanger itself when the shackle bolt is installed. I figured that if it breaks both of those supports, then I was probably doing something I shouldn't have. Yes, I could have spent 15 more minutes cutting out a small piece of metal and welding it in, but I just didn't see the need.

I can't really give you a dimension for the cut. The way I did it was to unbolt the shackle from the spring pack, then cut a hole...see if shackle fits....enlarge hole.....see if shackle fits....

You can see what I'm getting at. Just be sure to enlarge the hole forward and aft to allow full shackle motion, as well as side to side.

I would definitely feel safer removing the gas tank before doing this. Plasma and torch both throw a lot of sparks.

The other lesser known fact is that it sets the pinion angle perfectly without moving the spring perches. It will point the pinion directly at the t-case.

1. Yes you can cut it, but protect the gas tank. Whenever I cut or weld near a gas tank I make sure that it is full and then I wrap a wet blanket over it and put a welding blanket in the way.

2. Not sure, vehicles vary. So does the lift you want so it is more of a specific thing to what you want to do.

3. It isn't listed as a cheap mod, because it takes lots of skill and fabrication time. If it was listed as a cheap way to lift a rig then people that don't have the skills to pull it off safely would be doing it on their mall crawlers.

I cut mine off the Bronco and replaced them with cut down fromts from a F150. Looked a lot cleaner and I was able to move them foward a bit to improve shakle angle.

Back