Homebrewing Recipes

ckruzer

Infidel
Any of you into homebrewing? I just ordered a Spike Brew system. About to dive in myself. If you have recipes you wanna share throw up here.

Im working on a pilsner for my first brew at the moment

Used to, it's been years. You doing extract or full grain?

Always wanted to try. Not a fan of pilsner but interested in what you find.

Used to, it's been years. You doing extract or full grain?

This first "kit" is an extract.
Im trying to build my first recipe as an AG

My ultimate goal is to build a gluten free recipe with ancient grains, malting the grains myself.

Was brought into the home brewers fold about 10 years ago by @mbalbritton and built a 10 gallon rig to match his (10gal mash tuns, the keggles will go 15+gals).
Our combined 20 gal rigs allowed 2 separate batches at the same time = 5gals each of 2 different beers.

Have only done all-grain, typically using ale yeasts (allow for household temps vs tightly controlled fermentation temps/lagering setups... which I do have) by my records, near 100 gals to date.
Mostly MY favorites... numerous IPAs, Stouts including Cherry Chocolate Stout that went south (cherry extract dropped too soon, bumped ABV way up and "just bit into a penny" aftertaste... but eventually came around after 12+ months), lot's of clones (Negra Modelo/XX Amber) and 5 attempts to recreate my first batch (a phenomenal Nut Brown) that haven't come close :(

But my wife spied a Blood Orange Saison extract kit last trip to our "local" (Roanoke) brewers supply, so it's next.

Fawk bottling... goes directly to Corny kegs after fermentation for carbonation and dispensing (BTW, I've got a spare2 tap CO2 rig when you get there)
This first "kit" is an extract.
Im trying to build my first recipe as an AG

My ultimate goal is to build a gluten free recipe with ancient grains, malting the grains myself.

Should be PLENTY of support (home brewers, HB clubs, and HB suppliers) given the number of commercial brewers in Birkenstock-land...
There are equally as many web/online resources for recipes, Q&A, etc.

I haven't brewed in about 6-7 years now. Actually really enjoyed it. I sucked at coming up with recipes, but I could follow one and make some damn good beer. better than you could buy in a store. Unfortunately, Big Dan's Brew Shed is not around anymore. His recipes were awesome and right in line with my tastes. King Konning and LevenEleven were my go to recipes. I gave my recipe book to the guy who bought my brew stand. Would have been nice to digitize all of it first.

Any of yall ever do root beer?

I am putting together supplies for Mead. I have acquired 4 five gallon carboys and got a line on several gallons to refine my recipes. If it goes well I will try brewing next. A good thread on all things homemade and of proof would be very awesome!

Any of you into homebrewing? I just ordered a Spike Brew system. About to dive in myself. If you have recipes you wanna share throw up here.

Im working on a pilsner for my first brew at the moment
Link to said system for learnin?

I am putting together supplies for Mead. I have acquired 4 five gallon carboys and got a line on several gallons to refine my recipes. If it goes well I will try brewing next. A good thread on all things homemade and of proof would be very awesome!
Have a good friend in GA that makes mead... what I tried of his was good, all others (including a "renowned" VA meadery) have been awful = tasted 🤮 & poured it out in the woods

Awaiting his greenlight to pass his email addy to you 😉

@WARRIORWELDING here's Zacks base Mead recipe... will send you his email via PM shortly

1 Gallon recipe. Multiply as needed

Supplies:

Yeast, you want an ale yeast, Safale or Fermentis US-05 works well. 2.5 Grams per gallon

Go-Ferm Protect Evolution to rehydrate yeast. 3.15 Grams per gallon

Fermaid K, nutrient. 3 feedings of 1/4 teaspoon for gallon

Optional Potassium Sorbate, Campden tablet to make mead shelf stable. Not needed if mead is kept refrigerated

Primary fermentor big enough for your desired batch with airlock. Minimum 2 gallon, honey adds volume

Secondary fermentor glass carboy(s) with airlock. I use multiple one gallon carboys to make it easier to store in cool place

Auto siphon for moving from primary to secondary and final bottling

Hydrometer

Thermometer to measure water temp

Sauce pan to heat yeast mixture. 2 cups capacity per gallon

Scale to measure out ingredients

Honey, 3lbs per gallon. Pure, local honey is best. Additional 10-12 ounces may be used for back sweetening if desired

Must prep:

Add 1 gallon water to sanitized primary fermentor

Add 3 pounds honey to water and stir thoroughly

Measure with hydrometer and note reading. Target is ~1.090. If 1.100 or higher add water to lower. Note reading as your OG (Original Gravity)

Yeast prep:

Add 1/2 cup water and 3.15 grams Go Ferm to sauce pan and heat to 110 degrees F

Remove from heat and monitor temp until it reaches 104 degrees F

Pitch yeast, 2.5 grams and stir gently

Wait ten minutes and 1/2 cup of must

Wait another ten minutes and add another 1/2 cup of must

Wait another ten minutes and add contents of sauce pan to must in primary fermentor and stir gently

Seal fermentor with lid and airlock

After 24 hours shake fermentor gently and add 1/4 tsp nutrient (Ferm K)

After 48 hours take SG reading. Should be around 1.085. Gently shake fermentor and add 1/4 tsp nutrient

After 1 week take a reading. Should be at or below 1.065. You should notice some foaming and activity in airlock at this stage. Gently shake fermentor and add 1/4 tsp nutrient

Weeks 2 to 3 gently shake fermentor and watch for activity in airlock

Week 5 open fermentor and quickly take reading. If around 1.010 to 1.015 use auto siphon to move to secondary fermentor(s) being careful to not disturb or move too much of the yeast that has settled to the bottom of the primary fermentor to the secondary. Take a test drink. If more sweetness is desired add honey to back sweeten, but not too much. Store secondary fermentor in cool location. Add pinch of potassium sorbet and crushed campden tablet if desired. This would be the stage to add spices or fruit if wanted, it doesn’t take much.

Week 7 mead is done and ready to bottle! Take measurement for FG (Final Gravity). Use Brewers Friend or similar online calculator to calculate ABV. Use auto siphon with bottling wand to move to bottles or your choice of container. Enjoy!

While I LOVE a cold A&W and have tried the commercial "hard root beer" offerings... a hard Meh for me

That's where I am.
While I do not imbibe, I love IBC and Stewarts .... A&W is good also.
I have tried an online how-to, and it worked ...... but it tasted gawd-awful!
I thought if anyone had better results I might try again with some tips.

While I LOVE a cold A&W and have tried the commercial "hard root beer" offerings... a hard Meh for me
Several years back when it got popular I tried the “not your fathers root beer” it’s definitely dangerous to have around as no one would think it was beer. Literally tasted like a a/w

Just grab a ibc rootbeer and top off with crown vanilla!

Back