Holly Sniper efi

Monkeynono

I currently have a factory TBI system on a stock engine in the YJ but wanting more from the the setup. I am wondering if the sniper or something similar is worth the investment or if the engine is even capable of more.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Are you planning on doing engine mods? If you're leaving the motor stock then the sniper will only add expense and aggravation.
I was considering an intake a possible cam swap. It also suffers from some drive ability issues that I would be able to hopefully tune out

Really need a laptop and tuning knowledge to take real advantage of the sniper, or any holley efi for that matter.

The self tuning is just closed loop and learn, and can be useful in the beginning but needs to be lessened otherwise a bad o2 will cause no start later on.

Joe Simpson has a great course if you want to learn more. It’s called tune the trilogy and he also has a lot of free YT videos.

Tuning issues like this is one of the reasons I've always wanted to get in to tuning. I know I'd dive deep in to it and nerd out, plus, I wouldn't mind traveling to people and the satisfaction of figuring out all of their issues would be a major dopamine hit for my ADHD brain. I may dig in to it and do some "light" reading while I'm down for recovery after my surgery. 🤔

We fought the sniper setup on my brothers car. Thought it was a setting, thought it was heat, thought it was a 12 volt source. We were all over the place. Finally figured out that the last guy who worked on it stripped the distributor bolt. Timing was all over the place and the unit was trying to learn and figure things out. Runs like a scalded dog with efi and the timing fixed.

Tuning issues like this is one of the reasons I've always wanted to get in to tuning. I know I'd dive deep in to it and nerd out, plus, I wouldn't mind traveling to people and the satisfaction of figuring out all of their issues would be a major dopamine hit for my ADHD brain. I may dig in to it and do some "light" reading while I'm down for recovery after my surgery. 🤔

Buy joes course. It’s worth it. Our brains are similar. I watch a couple videos here or there when I have a moment. Great for passing time and satisfying my nerd brain.

Some of them are very simple designed for anyone to get started and some get into great detail. He just has it so someone with zero experience can get up to speed.

Buy joes course. It’s worth it. Our brains are similar. I watch a couple videos here or there when I have a moment. Great for passing time and satisfying my nerd brain.

Some of them are very simple designed for anyone to get started and some get into great detail. He just has it so someone with zero experience can get up to speed.
This is perfect. You guys get spun up and become the subject matter experts then the rest of us can aggravate the crap out of you with tuning questions. It’s a win for everyone, lol.

This is perfect. You guys get spun up and become the subject matter experts then the rest of us can aggravate the crap out of you with tuning questions. It’s a win for everyone, lol.
I already have Holley laptop software and have watched about 1/3 of joes course. I understand most of it, based on piggyback tuning an m3 years ago….

Currently working on a sniper on an early bronco restoration. Waiting to really offer this service until I get some more tuning time experience.

Tuning on a dyno is was more effective and I can’t compete with those guys.

I’m not saying I wouldn’t offer it, I just want to make sure I know enough of the quirks and snafus before doing it for someone that’s paying for it. Same perspective I had with shock tuning. Just bc I knew how to tune shocks didn’t mean I knew what I was doing 🤣. Had to do it a bunch for free essentially to gain deeper understanding.

I just wanted to post here that I do have the can-usb cord and Holley software on my laptop.

I wish sniper had on board data logging it would make remote tuning the sniper that much easier, (like the terminator, hp, and dominator ecus)

Fucking up a shock tune and fucking up an engine tune can lead to very different financial outcomes.
Sending a rod through a block isn't cheap.

What's wrong with datalogging with the handheld ?

Fucking up a shock tune and fucking up an engine tune can lead to very different financial outcomes.
Sending a rod through a block isn't cheap.

What's wrong with datalogging with the handheld ?
You’re right. Replacing an engine is way cheaper than a yard sale in the whoops at 70.

That’s where some general tuning knowledge plays a big role. Knowing target afr and how to read plugs to know timing limitations is huge.

Knowing max rpm with a limiter is very beneficial.

More new windows in ls blocks are from stroker LS cranks than from poor tunes.

At least with engine tuning you have sensors to read data, most shock packages don’t have a plethora of psi sensors verifying theories vs outcomes.

As far as the handheld tuning, it’s garbage. Then add in the sd card datalogging and mailing the sd card(s) back and forth. What is it 1998 🤣. At minimum still need to download as card and send logs, then have to download new tune to add card and push it thru hand held.

A couple times of that frustration and you are at the $100 for a can-usb cord and some free software 🤷‍♂️.

There is no magic to tuning. Whether shock or engine.

It’s make changes, note outcome, make more changes, repeat.

Get the outcome to achieve the desired expectation.

Knowledge gets you there.
Experience gets you there quicker.

On top of that, knowing the systems at work helps to avoid quirks and anomaly’s and why/when they show up and how to reconcile them.

Back