Hiking the Long Range Traverse - Newfoundland

RatLabGuy

You look like a monkey and smell like one too
OK so late July, my BIL and I are taking quite an adventure - driving up through Nova Scotia, taking a ferry to Newfoundland, and going to Gros Morne National Park, and doing the Long Range Traverse.
Any (slim) chance anybody here has done this?

This is a true wilderness hike, 4-5 days on an "unmarked" path. Basically the park service drops you off at point A w/ a map & compass, expect you at point B later. They only let a few people in per day. You actually have to have a meeting w/ the Ranger first, pass a compass/topo map test, and get some training before they'll give you the permits... and a transponder to find your ass if you don't make it back later :massey:.
It starts out w/ a climb right up the fjord, then across the top of the range.. .all small shrubby trees, random thickets, unexpected fog... gonna be awesome.
Oh and we're angling to do some 4Wheeling while up in Newfoundland too :rockon: .

I've done alot of camping and several backpacking trips, nothing quite this "intense" though. Being just the 2 of us, we'll pack light, take dehydrated food, etc.

I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions about people's preference for equipment, etc.

Have you ever actually done any real orienteering? Fog can bring the suck if you can't plot a long course.

Looked it up. Sounds pretty interesting.

Have you ever actually done any real orienteering? Fog can bring the suck if you can't plot a long course.

Looked it up. Sounds pretty interesting.

yup. Believe it or not, I'm an Eagle Scout. Did a ton of that during my younger days.
That said, its been awhile so I plan to spend some time re-honing my orienteering skills. I've read several places that the random fog can be a real issue and you may have to just sit for a day.

anybody ever rented a satellite phone?

You better sharpen those orienteering skills pretty sharp. I used to be involved heavily in Search and Rescue. Would teach classes on map and compass. I would contact a local Fire Department and speak with someone in SAR. There should be a map and compass course somewhere nearby that can give you a gut check. When you travel 200lf through brush and see 4 waypoints you better know which one is yours...

Also pack light but plan for every type of weather from sunny to foggy and hot to freezing.

Sounds like a lot of fun! I am jealous.

Ratlabguy, I catered to the Orienteering finals about two and a half months ago at Thornburg Farm on URE properity. Met people from all over the world that was competing! It was a eye opening experience to say the least! I did not realize it is huge in Europe until then.

If it would help, I can give you the name and number of the gentleman that organized the Orienteering event for some info. He's a pretty good guy and would like to help. Let me know. He lives in Raleigh.

I'll be up there next week... I'll take some pics of the area if I can... Hope the fog doesn't keep me down!

Where are you going specifically?

Less than a month! Just about peeing myself with excitement.
And holy shit is there a lot to plan with a trip like this!

We've changed our plans a bit, after the hike, instead of going all the way across the island (10 hr trek) instead we're going to head to the northern tip of the western peninsula along the "viking trail", then back down.
Trying to find info on old logging roads etc to hit while there, or other off-road opportunities.

Forgot to post a pic of one of the hiking trails I was on...

536128_3918204240025_2054297733_n.jpg

Did you fly, or drive?
While I'm sure the road trip will be fun - it's gonna be long.

Leaving Saturday @ 5am. So excited.
We're putting an Icon Stage II lift & UCAs on the FJC on Thurs night as "final prep" lol.
Still going back and forth between going up the NW peninsula to see an old Viking village, whales, iceburgs, and the possibility of Northern Lights, or head SW to possibly meet up w/ some locals for 4wheeling...

I'd go for the northern lights!

Back