High-Steer set up question....

spraypaintman

I'm getting ready to set up my high-steer on my dana 44 on my cj7. How close can I mount the tie rod to the ball joints on the knuckles. If I run two seperate steering links each having their own hole on the steering arm my tie rod will be 5 1/4" from the center of the ball joint. Is that too close?

Noah

the further from the balljoint/kingpin the drag link is, the more leverage it is going to have, therefore the stronger/better your steering will be. if you plan to run hydro assist at any point in time, you will hate having the tie rod that close to the balljoint on your 44, because it will not have much leverage and will not be as effective as it should be. the best setup is tie rod behind the axle, and drag link in front IMO.

I wanted to try to keep the traditional arms that I have already purchased. Could I do an inverted T-link set up where the drag is bolted to the tie rod and then move my axle back one inch? That would bring my tie rod out to 6 1/4" from the ball joint.

Does anyone know if this setup will make it harder to steer?

I run an inverted t link on my setup. I am using a one ton tie rod and drag link on my 60. I had to ream out the pitman arm to make it work. My tie rod is sleeved and I run hydro assist. NO problems steering. I also run a shorter high steer arm than most due to a 6" ram on the hydro.

You still have to be careful with drag link/tie rod overlap during full compression of the suspension. It all depends on the space from the ptiman arm and tierod.

Mine barely squeaks by.

Back