Help with install on a pyro gauge

Pinkston

I just got a set of DiPricol gauges for my truck and for some reason my pyro gauge is not working. The install seemed pretty straight forward. I taped the manifold infront of the turbo no problem, got the wires hooked up for the lights(they work), hooked up the other two wires, one positive and one negative on the battery like the instructions said. The probe wires are hooked up. With my gauge the probe wires can only go one way so Im pretty sure thats not the problem. Yellow to yellow and red to red on the probe end, then there is a conecter on the other that only goes one way. All that said, the pyro gauge is not working. Any ideas? Why does the gauge need a wire straight to the positive and negative of the battery?

Did you tap the exhaust manifold or the turbo inlet? If you tapped the turbo inlet the turbo inlet air does not get hot enough for the guage to read. Im going to guess you tapped into the wrong pipe. If its a dodge(guessing from your sig) the exhaust manifold is on the passenger side, tap into where the pipes join to the single flange. Heres a pic,

Attachments

• dodge_pyro.jpg
    dodge_pyro.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 453
Not going to make it down there, I get to work instead. Here is a scanned copy of the wiring instructions from the gauge. The pyro has 6 pins.

391187_172_full.jpg

Matt, just let me use your truck to tow my rig to DPG, then Jon can take a look at it. Everybody wins :flipoff2:

I've got the same gauges. The +12v to the LED is connected to switched 12v, while the other 12v+ wire goes to illumination, so the gauge will dim with your dash lights.

Anyhow, the gauge requires no power to work. A Di-Pricol pyro reads with the engine off. The power is purely for illumination.

You very well could have gotten a bum probe... it happens.

Thanks Rich, Ill have to call up the company I got them from tomorrow and see if there is a way to test the probe.

You can pull the probe and heat it with a propane torch while measuring DC voltage with a digital voltmeter... you should see it rise as the temp increases...

Well, your tip worked and so did the probe....damn it, I was hoping you were onto something.

hmmmmm...

Check continuity in the wiring harness?

I mean shit, if you check the probe, check the wiring, it can only be the gauge, right?

Got to get in a little smack talking where you can huh....too bad its not a dodge part thats not working. Can a Ford even create enough power to justify a pyro gauge? :flipoff2: I sent the gauge back to Danin, they are going to fix/replace it. They seem to be very easy people to deal with so far.

Can a Ford even create enough power to justify a pyro gauge?

YES :flipoff2:

Glad Danin is working with you, not too much can go wrong, it's a pretty straight forward set up.

Why don't you just have a pull off. $100 to the winner and $100 to be pulled to the nearest Diesel shop when the engine is blown? That way, Pinkston can pay for his pyrometer gauge and make some money off his own install :flipoff2:

I like your thinking.....the only ford I have been impressed with had a cummins in it. :flipoff2:

Danin got back with me, the gauge is fine...im just a dumb ass. I was under the impression a pyro gauge does not need 12 volts to work, well that is the case for the older ones not the new optix series like I got.

Back