Help me choose a welder!

Flipper

I finally have decided to buy a decent welder. I've been using a 110v 90 amp mig for little jobs and need to step it up.

I have $700 to spend, including sales tax.

I looked at Northern today at a Hobart 180, it retails for $689. It has a very high quality feed, the internal components seem really well made. Includes a couple spools, gas hook ups etc

Next choice is a Lincoln Pro 175 from Lowes. It retails for 599, but the store manager gave me an extra 10% so it'd be about $530. The spool is not quite as nice but still not bad, it seems to be a little lower quality all the way around but would probably do as good of job.

A millermatic 175 is also an option, they seem to go for about 720 with shipping from ebay. I know the quality is there on that one.

I'm leaning for the Lincoln for the greater than $100 savings and enough to pick up gas.

What do you guys think?

I've got hobart 175, alot of time it will not feed the wire, espcially if the lead is not straight. I've heard millers are better quality even though they make hobart. Alot of times Tractor Supply will have the hobart with a cart and auto-dark hood for around 700. You may want to talk to the guys at national welders, their prices are not far from northern if you can talk them down some. If you plan on welding alot, I'd spring for a miller/hobart 210:smokin:

friend of mine swears by the lincoln 175's he uses them inhis business and they stays very busy another friend uses a hobart 185 and likes it. me personally i just bought a 185 clarke not as much of a name brand but for 200 cash out of pocket ill take it

Find you a reputable welder supply store, like National welders or Welders Supply, They have used machines sometimes or Refurbished, plus if you have problems in the future, they will take care of you, this also is a good source for your gas an other welding supplies also. Including cutting supplies. Just my opinion, an congratulations on moving up to a 220 machine, you won't regret it.

I have a Hobart 175. I have a good friend with a lincoln 175 As far as I know, neither have given any problems.
If you want one to take anywhere, even on the trail, see me about a Ready Welder!

I bought my Miller 175 from Linde Gas (Used to be National Welders) on Sandy Ridge Road in GSO. I got a cart and tank for about $850 or so. Go up there and talk to the guys, they will make you the best deal you can get. You can even take other prices from places like CYBERWELD.COM and they will most of the time match them...

I went lincoln for a single reason. The consumables can be obtained on the weekends. I can't always take 2 hours off during the day to get to welders supply and it sucks to be 80% through a project and run out of tips. The Hobart would be the same deal. You can get to their parts on the weekends. I also saved up and got the largest bottle that I could from a gas exchange center. It costs a little more, but once again I can get it on the weekends. The lincoln 175 and 135 that I have work really well. I tried a hobart and liked it, but I just chose lincoln. Miller would be my ultimate preference, but consumables are a weekday business hours problem for me.

I've got the lincoln and wouldnt trade it for anything. It's never let me down, and like they've said before, it's easy to get parts and supplies.

maverick said:
Find you a reputable welder supply store, like National welders or Welders Supply, They have used machines sometimes or Refurbished, plus if you have problems in the future, they will take care of you, this also is a good source for your gas an other welding supplies also. Including cutting supplies. Just my opinion, an congratulations on moving up to a 220 machine, you won't regret it.

The support from these shops is the best reason for going local. It is a MUST if you are going to do this the right way.

I have a Miller 175 and LOVE it

FWIW my neighbor is selling his millermatic 250 for around a grand. He got this wicked cool new miller that has a boom and like a carwash so he can reach all over his shop.
I'll put you in touch with him if you want.

Yeah,its a tough decision.I had the 110v model Lincoln and I loved it.I next stepped up to the 175 Hobart and it works really well if you keep up with the consumables.Given the option again I would have saved and picked up a Miller 210.In your price range I would say go for the Lincoln 175.....

ebay
thats where i got my hobart. i have about 700 in my whole setup with gas, cart and a few spools of wire

I bought a HH175 used from a "local shop" and have been more than pleased with it (& Millers support)! After rectifying a few issues, it'll burn anything I've put in front of it...

I ran about 5# of wire thru a Lincoln 135 last year and found the "variable" taps (fully adjustable amp setting) a great thing! On most welders, the taps are detented for "1-2-3-4" and on this particular 135 would go anywhere between 1 & 4... Not sure if the Linc175 has this, but if it does, that would be the deciding factor for me.

Hobart

I have never had many problems from the Hobart Handler 175 I have. I noticed Miller and some others use a knurled roller drive for less slipping. I am going to be buying an aftermarket (profax is good for the price) gun for more durable consumables.

welder

i have a lincoln 175 love it does everything i need it to!!

Back