Guys who haul 2 rigs- tell me about your trailer

for the cost of a newish truck you can get a used semi and convert to an RV. you'll get living quarters and the ability to tow whatever you want.

Good luck with that.... I'm in the 'been there done that' boat. This USE to be acceptable 10 years ago. Not so much anymore. Legally, your good...but insurance companies will not touch you unless you have written proof that your semi was converted by an RV conversion company and the Vin has been changed. Also, there are only a few states with insurance companies that actually accept semi-rv conversions anymore.

I Spent an entire year dedicated to converting one legally, and the only loop hole I could not get through is insurance, and we tried everything.

If you do buy a converted semi, make sure it was professionally converted, cause even though the owner may have had it insurance for two decades, as soon as you switch ownership with that insurance, even if it's the same company, there's a good chance the insurance will drop you and then your SOL.

Good luck with that.... I'm in the 'been there done that' boat. This USE to be acceptable 10 years ago. Not so much anymore. Legally, your good...but insurance companies will not touch you unless you have written proof that your semi was converted by an RV conversion company and the Vin has been changed. Also, there are only a few states with insurance companies that actually accept semi-rv conversions anymore.

I Spent an entire year dedicated to converting one legally, and the only loop hole I could not get through is insurance, and we tried everything.

If you do buy a converted semi, make sure it was professionally converted, cause even though the owner may have had it insurance for two decades, as soon as you switch ownership with that insurance, even if it's the same company, there's a good chance the insurance will drop you and then your SOL.

That is very interesting... One of the guys in my club finished a conversion of a box truck to an RV and didnt have any issues with insurance. I bet there is a difference is a box truck vs a semi.

Hmm. A box truck would be great.

The Vin on my truck said tractor with a weight exceeding such and such lbs.

I was actually able to get the Vin changed by the dmv to read as RV, but even with that said, no company would even think about insuraning it since it was once a Tractor. Only one company said it would be okay, but only if I could prove it was done professionally.

I would be highly interested in learning more about the box truck. My father I currently looking for one to haul his jeep down here to go wheeling (a 10 hr road trip). Again, you run into DOT issues with weight, but if you can register a box as an rv with no issues, that sounds like a win win.

Oh and that company that said they'd do it of proof also rated it at something like $2k yearly....where rvs are typically $300 yearly... you have to do a TON of research when it comes to this stuff for sure

My semi was quoted at $300 or so for the year as long as I took off the big 5th wheel and just had a gooseneck ball. Disclaimer is I never finished it to actually purchase this. But that was the quote.

This is the only pic I have off what they did. They lowered the box and added storage under the box and a door on the side. They just took it to moab this year.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 352
I've got a 32' enclosed for sale :) extra height and tri axle.

I now pull a 32' gooseneck. If #Bertha fit inside the enclosed, I'd keep it and build fold down living quarters.

Attachments

• IMG_20150924_160440.jpg
    IMG_20150924_160440.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 391
Wow, that looks incredible. If you manage to get more pictures pm them to me. I love that kind of stuff.

Ditto on the 5th. We had to have pictures of it removed...which is fine...cause we just ran an rv 5th anyway.

We used to put a toyota in the bed of a 2.5 ton and a buggy on the trailer behind it. Just an fyi its painfully slow, loud, uncomfortable, and hard to stop.

My semi was quoted at $300 or so for the year as long as I took off the big 5th wheel and just had a gooseneck ball. Disclaimer is I never finished it to actually purchase this. But that was the quote.

Who was that with? I'm looking to get one to pull a toy hauler. Was there any stipulations on what you were allowed to tow?

Back