Gun Transfer Laws

No sir. Out of state handgun transfer by federal law have to go through an ffl in the state of residence of the person receiving the handguns. That is federal law. It was posted earlier in this thread.

In this specific case wouldn't :

Another exception is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who inherits a firearm under a will or by State law upon death of the owner. See 18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(5)(A).

apply?

In this specific case wouldn't :

apply?

Depends on if there is a will and he is named the owner of said firearms. That is not what he described. If they were left to him he can go get them legally. If they were left to his mother in law then he has to transfer them through an ffl in his home state.

The fact he died two years ago makes me believe they were left to mil and she does not want them.

I missed that she was in FL.

tsconver ..... can you show in the NCGS where all this is?

I’d drive down there, bring them back (borrow them) to see if you like them. Nothing wrong with holding them for her until she wants them back. FFL seems overboard for family members loaning guns to each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The fact he died two years ago makes me believe they were left to mil and she does not want them.
Correct. Guns not left to me or my wife. I suppose, by default, they go to my MIL along with the rest of the estate. I'm sure there are clever ways to skirt the laws, but I think I'd feel better knowing the law is on my side if something ever happened. Thanks for all the input and info!

Legally they need to be shipped to an FFL in the state of NC and you have to have a pistol purchase permit for each one or a concealed handgun permit issued by NC. Then you go to the FFL and transfer them to you.
This

edit: personally, I’d just go get them. Chain of custody is permissive if she’s giving them to you. You’re just trying them out. My $.02

edit: personally, I’d just go get them. Chain of custody is permissive if she’s giving them to you. You’re just trying them out. My $.02

Just a reminder....the LAW says the speed limit is 55. Just keeping everyone informed of THE LAW

Back