Got my Trailer parts..car hauler in the making!!

One thing most might overlook in what Ron said: screw the boards down to most if not all the crossmembers. This will make it all work together vs a bunch of pieces.
dam...that's a lot of drilling through the angle iron which i don't have very good drill bits but i guess i'll have to manage and pull out the old drill bit sharpener that i could never figure out how to use LOL and make it work...tomorrow i gotta get this jeep on the trailer first cause the width is what has me still worried...cause if it's too wide for the trailer, looks like side rails coming off and gonna have to do even more frame work to keep it all in tact without the siderails so i really hope it fits...and no i'm not hauling it with stock tires, i'm too lazy for that and too much work. i'd rather drop another 100 or so to reinforce the floor even more to handle without rails but we will see. than i would def put full 2x8 floor back on screwed down everywhere. will keep updated. thanks

dam...that's a lot of drilling through the angle iron which i don't have very good drill bits but i guess i'll have to manage and pull out the old drill bit sharpener that i could never figure out how to use LOL and make it work...tomorrow i gotta get this jeep on the trailer first cause the width is what has me still worried...cause if it's too wide for the trailer, looks like side rails coming off and gonna have to do even more frame work to keep it all in tact without the siderails so i really hope it fits...and no i'm not hauling it with stock tires, i'm too lazy for that and too much work. i'd rather drop another 100 or so to reinforce the floor even more to handle without rails but we will see. than i would def put full 2x8 floor back on screwed down everywhere. will keep updated. thanks

You have to get the idea of cuttting the side rails off that trailer out of your head.
No.
If you have to cut the rails off you have to get a different trailer. It wont be $100 to reinforce then. It will be new main rail time and by the time you got done with that...

ohh^^^^well didnt know that. hope it fits otherwise stock tires it is lol

I only made it to page 3 before I had to stop to say....

Sell the Jeep and the trailer. Buy a Toyota. It can be driven to the trails, beaten on, and driven back home. I know, I drive mine to Harlan last weekend. I did all of the easy trails that I wanted to do, and got led into a couple of spots that were much worse than I wanted. This was the trucks third trip up there that I know of (odo clicked over 300,000 miles on the first trip) and the only trouble it has given is a busted radiator.

Also, have you weighed your XJ? I keep seeing the number 3300lb tossed around a lot, but I'm willing to bet you are over that line by a bit.

Also, have you weighed your XJ? I keep seeing the number 3300lb tossed around a lot, but I'm willing to bet you are over that line by a bit.
LOL LOL yeah i bet i'm close to if not right at 4000, could be hair more, but on the toyota: no disrespect or offense. i wouldn't give up an xj over toyota any day for many reasons..axles not being one of them but to each their own. Yota's are the only other suv/truck for off road that i have liked but having that said, i've tried wheeling many many 4x4s and jeep xj stuck with me for more pros than any other i've wheeled or seen wheel. my biggest problem with the yota was, u can't stick 35-40s on em and still have some descent power but that jeep 4.0 with just some descent bolt ons can easily push 40s on the road and in the mud/snow with just stock gears cause i've always done it and never been dissappointed with the power. with head/intake & block work work...it's a real torque monster and fairly cheap one at that. the yota are very very reputable trucks don't get me wrong but i've had my chance for a nice one and gave it up...Jeep Fan For Life!!! and driving to the trails might have worked when i was single but with wife and kids, especially wife that has needs, it is not ideal nor safe for me to drive to place. too much risk.
now this you'll call me out on lol and so will others who read this: had a guy with 82 yota 22re rebuilt 4"suspension lift on 31s solid axles f&r wanted to trade for that 00XJ i had on 35s for sale...pretty ass truck he had wanting even trade but i said no. i'm just not a truck guy and i'm so familiar with jeeps, i'd have to start from scratch with the yota and that wouldn't work for me.

Back