Got My Class A License

NC_Mog

Eurotrash Driver
Very easy. Had to take a test on the computer (get 40 out of 50 right), which I did last Friday. They'll give you a learner's permit after you pass. Then I took my driving test this Friday...I think it was supposed to be some kind of extended driving test, but the lady just had me do the standard loop. Heck she didn't even check the registration or weight ratings for either the truck or trailer. If you have plenty of time, you could probably do it all in one day. Just make sure that the place where you go is willing to do the driving test. I went to the Avent Ferry location for the driving test.

good to know.. congrats. Missed ya at the fairgrounds today!

I've got a Class B, with air brakes and also a Passenger endorsement (I drive the church buses)...

just trying to figure out what I'll need to do to upgrade to an "A"...hopefully I don't have to start from scratch...

maybe one computer test and a quick drive? I took at least three tests on the computer for my first one (pretty sure there was a separate test for air brakes, and other for passengers...)

Greg

Class A test, and a Big truck and trailor for a test drive. You already have the air brake endorcment so don't have to do that again.

Rich said:
good to know.. congrats. Missed ya at the fairgrounds today!
OT - Had family things to do, and couldn't get out there. Everyone in the 'how slow can you go' events were off the hook anyway as club members can't compete.

NC_Mog said:
. Then I took my driving test this Friday...I think it was supposed to be some kind of extended driving test, but the lady just had me do the standard loop. Heck she didn't even check the registration or weight ratings for either the truck or trailer.

That says alot about some areas and the lack of control DOT has anymore. The correct Class A road test is at least 1 1/2 hrs. including a complete pre-trip inspection, backing, and the actual driving. I t much more intence than what is required to drive a car but not difficult if you know what you are doing.

What kind of truck/trailer did you drive? No pre-trip? The pre-trip is as important as the driving.

Nope no pre-trip inspection. What I've got is a 3/4 Dodge with a 7 ton trailer. The trailer capacity is beyond what the Dodge could pull, but it was only $150 more than a 6 ton trailer.

Yes, inspection is important and that is while the trailer will get any PM work done a few weeks before a road trip. I usually go about 5 to 10 miles, then pull over for a walk around on the combined vehicles. This inspection is also done at every stop.

Yes the driving test was a joke. I was prepared for pre-trip inspection and an extended driving test. What is sad is that some folks can't even complete the test I took in a regular car.

scarface said:
That says alot about some areas and the lack of control DOT has anymore. The correct Class A road test is at least 1 1/2 hrs. including a complete pre-trip inspection, backing, and the actual driving. I t much more intence than what is required to drive a car but not difficult if you know what you are doing.

What kind of truck/trailer did you drive? No pre-trip? The pre-trip is as important as the driving.

most of that is any CDL...

when I got my Class B I had a guy meet me there with the bus (already had the written part done and a permit)...

we did a whole pre-trip inspection...engine bay, lights, undercarriage, suspension, air brakes, etc...

then did some parking lot maneuvers...backing straight, backing in a curve, pulling forward and stopping with the front within a 2 ft area, etc...

then, off to the interstate for about a 30 minute drive...

maybe I'll head to Apex to upgrade to a Class A...

...and is there a different test for Class A vs tractor trailer? I've seen some of the employee records where I work (BellSouth) and some of the guys have to have Class A licenses, but the only restriction listed is "no tractor trailers"...

I know the only difference in a Class B and Class A is the A can have a trailer over 10K...but is there something additional for an actual semi?

Greg

Back