Good hiking in/near/on the way to Boone?

Tacoma747

I know Grandfather mountain, but wasn't very impressed with paying $25 (or whatever it is) to walk around for a half a day. I am looking for a park or something that has GOOD trails (maybe even some no-ropes climbing stuff), good views, etc. Near Boone is fine, or on the way to Boone frome Winston-Salem is good too.

Don't mention Hanging rock and Pilot mountain, they are not on the way, and I've been all over them anyways :)

Depends on how relative "close" is. Doughton Park, Pond Mtn from upper end of Callalante to the 3 state marker and down to Laurel Bloomery, Linville Gorge (Hawksbill, Table Rock, Shortoff, and the trails into the gorge, etc), Mt Mitchell, Lost Cove Cliffs, ET&WNC (Tweetsie) RR bed and bridges and tunnels near Roan Mtn or the whole thing end to end, Roan Mtn to Yellow Mtn, the list goes on ......

Stone Mtn. and Doughton Park. Both offer good day hikes and more. The BRP gates should be closed on either end of Doughton Park. You can walk all day there now and not see a soul this time of the year. Saturdays & Sundays see some day hikers. After the BRP gates are closed the human traffic is almost gone during the week. The main exception being hikers on the MST Trail.

This site may also be of help. http://hikingthecarolinas.com/

If you have never been the hike to the top of Stone Mtn around the top and down the stairs by the waterfall is worth the trip.

<><Fish

Why would you do that, did your truck break down?

Sounds like alot of work.

I think Table Rock/Linville Gorge is one of the most amazing and beautiful places east of the Mississippi. Not exactly on the way, but definitely worth checking out.

I think Table Rock/Linville Gorge is one of the most amazing and beautiful places east of the Mississippi. Not exactly on the way, but definitely worth checking out.

Well, if you go to Boone via Morganton, up 181n it ain't far out of the way!

More votes for Stone Mt and Linville Gorge.
Hawksbill is a rather steep climb, first 2/3 not so bad, last bit can be rough, but it's short, and the view from teh top (go ALL teh way up, not just where the main trai lends) is well worth it. A very good lunch spot.

Hebron Rock Colony--in Boone. Big ass rock and waterfalls. I went to school at App and that place is sweet. Pm me for directions. Kinda a secret spot.

Rich, it's call excercise :) Something you will need to start doing everyday in a couple years to keep your heart pumping :)

Actually, Rebecca and I just like hiking and the mountains. Pilot mountain is boring, Hanging rock is great but not on the way (well, the hard line up to the top of Hanging Rock is fun).

So I figure Stone Mountain is it, a little out of the way, but thats OK. What are the good trails to go on, and are there any "secret" paths to the top that might require a little more effort (CLIMBING, not just a really tough trail).

Rebecca will go up the shortcut at Hanging Rock, which is pretty tough, but anything more than that I don't think she would want to do (but I would :D).

Thanks for the info guys.

Woody, you can stay on the easy trials at Pilot Mountain, there is always lots of little kids on them, so you could probably handle it :flipoff2:

michael ill give you the scoop when you get here, i know a ton of places up here where we rock climb and hike

For Pilot Mountain, I like to park off Hotel Pinnacle Road at the very base of the south side of the mountain and hike to the top. If heading north on 52, get off on Perch Rd before the Pilot Mountain exit. Take a left at the top of the ramp, take a right on Mt Zion rd, then a right on Hotel Pinnacle Rd. There is a small parking lot on the right.

For Pilot Mountain, I like to park off Hotel Pinnacle Road at the very base of the south side of the mountain and hike to the top. If heading north on 52, get off on Perch Rd before the Pilot Mountain exit. Take a left at the top of the ramp, take a right on Mt Zion rd, then a right on Hotel Pinnacle Rd. There is a small parking lot on the right.

Thats way too much work :) I wish they would allow mountain bikes on the trails, THAT would be fun.

Back