Going to Harlan (update and questions!)

Yep, just as the title says.
So we have a ride there in August and I finally have a rig worth a shit to take up to KY.
Problem is, I don't think I would drive up and back in my Zu.

Would any fellow CTBers help me figure out a way to get up there?
Like perhaps you know someone with a trailer big enough for two and we take 2500 or 3500 up there and I split gas?

Or does anyone have a trailer they are not using and I can go hunt down a truck to haul with?

Kentucky, and places like Callalantee (well.... were :( ) was the reason I went 'bigger'.
I would love to make it.

One day, I'll get my own truck and trailer but for now one thing at a time.
Thanks in advance to any and all advice.

Had a few conversations about renting a truck or a 350 van.
Seen prices around 2-300 for the weekend.
Might be an option but hope I could get one with a tow-bar.
Any thoughts appreciated here fellas.

man you can rent a trailer for like 50 bucks a day at uhaul I got a buddy that dose it every time we go to Harlan and tows it with his 1500 Silverado they are good trailers just don't tell them what your putting on it lol

What about the U-haul moving trucks, sign says 19.95 a day on the windshield of one by my work, get truck and trailer there maybe

Yea I looked into penske and uhaul trucks.
Because its a round trip, the mileage money would suck $$.
I'm no expert on tow ratings but if a 1500 will work and not suck gas$ or drag ass up the mtns, then yeah I just might one of those and not look for the 250's or 350's I found.
It would be super awesome if I could get on with someone who is not going who has whole enchilada or at least a truck.
Still thinking out loud here. All are good options.

ive towed atleast 15 xj/mj/zj from all over south east with a 94 chevy 1500 with no problems

trailer brakes are your best friend but i never had them.

never been into any real bad grades honestly though.

i averaged 11 mpg loaded

Guess what? those old Chevy's, like my 98 Vortec-350, DO suck gas, & Do drag ass up the mtn's! Plus their brakes suck, & you'd better be towing in 3rd. gear [automatic], with a Good Cooler, or you'll be buying a new tranny! Trust me, I Know from experience.

A half ton will get the job done if you are just hauling your Isuzu. But it will be slower and not stop very well. I towed My blazer with a half ton for years, but was always wanting a bigger truck. Though I will say, the newer trucks, say 04 on up tow much better than the older ones.

Good point Mr Juarez.
And this is the kind of advice I'm lookin for.
I may rent but willing to do the math on buddy-ing with someone too.
Thanks

So one year later and looks like I will finally get to make it.
My friend Chris up in Boone is working on hauling my junk.
So who else is going?
And what are the details of camping I need to know about?

Back