Getting a title(tag) for a trailer

SHINTON

I have a trailer that Noah gave me, that was a boat trailer that had been left behind when he bought the house. So there was no title for this trailer, etc.

Dad and I are going to convert it into a 6'x12-15'ish utility trailer for putting the ATVs on, etc. But my question is how do I get a tag for it...I assume there is a process for getting a title as well? (I know BRUISER just did this for his...wasn't sure if we were looking at same process or something more abbreviated?)

Any thoughts are welcome...

Sam Hinton

it really was not that bad.

when you are ready to register it
step 1 : Go to DMV tell them you made a trailer pay $3 and fill out paperwork
they will give you NC DMV number which you need to STAMP onto tongue and rear axle

step 2: stamp and make sure it is all set

step 3: take to DMV office with paper they gave you ask for inspection
DMV officer comes outside inspects it and says either YEs or NO..
If YES
step 4: go back to DMV office and pay more $ and they give you registration card and plate

All done

PS: make sure it does not have vin numbers on it...
also make sure you say you built it.. will be easier then to do title search or get bill of sale

either a dmv officer or a line highway patrolman will work also.Had a highway patrol sgt. check mine out.

You need to be carefull about removing a vin number on an old trailer and adding new numbers.
If they see that it is not home built and looks funny you could be in a load of SH###. Remember it would be the same as a car/truck//heep that you change the vin on.
Better to go in and do it as a lost title or out of state.
When I first moved to NC from Tenn I had a boat trailer and they did not require a title or tag on boats in Tenn so I ask them what to do and it was easy fill out paperwork sign a statement for them it it was done.
Jon

Ok, when we started this process and wanted to do the "lost/replace" title deal to get a tag, the very first question is "was this an abandoned trailer?" If the answer is yes they will 'not' go further.

It is rather obvious this is a boat trailer, V shaped framerails, so..our next thought is if we cut out those rails, weld in our own new ones (relocating axle also) etc...in our minds we have basically taken 'scrap metal' and a axle and built a home made trailer....

My next question is...(Bruiser might know this), do they ask for receipts on the axle? Or where it came from?

Sam

It depends on insepctor..

Mine did not ask.. He was highly surprised I even built it.. but he still certified it and sign off :)

So I guess he really was nto to worried about it

SHINTON said:
Ok, when we started this process and wanted to do the "lost/replace" title deal to get a tag, the very first question is "was this an abandoned trailer?" If the answer is yes they will 'not' go further.

Sam

Tell them you bought it about 10 years ago and it didn't come with a title. My boat trailer doesn't have a title and never did that I know of.

SHINTON said:

It is rather obvious this is a boat trailer, V shaped framerails, so..our next thought is if we cut out those rails, weld in our own new ones (relocating axle also) etc...in our minds we have basically taken 'scrap metal' and a axle and built a home made trailer....

My next question is...(Bruiser might know this), do they ask for receipts on the axle? Or where it came from?

Sam

IIRC, it doesn't even require that much modding... My dad had a trailer that was bought as part of an equipment "lot"... it had no title. He asked DMV what constituted "homemade" and got a simple answer that any mods will do...

He welded a boat winch and short lip around the front... the inspector searched for a VIN, found none, issued the trailer an ID that had to be stamped (not sure *who* did the stamping), and all was good! Been pulling it for about 35 years...

Back