Generator Security

NCJeeplover

I'm looking at getting a generator and was wondering how you guys secure your generators? I'm going to wind up with more money in it that I want to walk off.

I plan to chain mine to the trailer but haven't been anywhere I've needed to yet.

Pretty sure @CasterTroy uses one of the bicycle locks and when I get to that point I'll do the same or make it a permanent mount to the trailer.

I use ethanol gas so whoever steals it will just bring it back after f'ing with it for 2hrs trying to get it to crank.

Last edited:
I use a heavy chain padlocked to something, usually my trailer or truck or tree.

I was thinking more along these lines. I have a deckover trailer and there is plenty of room for a mount. I just want something to keep it dry. I know the newer inverter gennys don't like the wet.

Once I get a goose to put my truck camper on, I plan to make a covered lockable cabinet to store and run my 2kw Generac inverter. Now I keep it under the slide oit of my camper and have used aluminum sheets to make a tent over it when it is supposed to rain hard

Once I get a goose to put my truck camper on, I plan to make a covered lockable cabinet to store and run my 2kw Generac inverter. Now I keep it under the slide oit of my camper and have used aluminum sheets to make a tent over it when it is supposed to rain hard
Make it out of expanded metal or make sure you have plenty of airflow. You need cooling air for the engine and the alternator end...

Make it out of expanded metal or make sure you have plenty of airflow. You need cooling air for the engine and the alternator end...

Fo sho! In my head I invision two sides opening to keep air flowing but keep the wind side covered to keep rain off.

I thought about putting expanded on both ends and mounting a small 12v fan (like the ones on transmission coolers) on one end because the generator has a 12 volt output right there. Seems easy and not terribly expensive.

For our trip out west, I mounted my setup under a camper top. I had two box fans and some flex duct to move fresh air over the genny and pull it out the other side. I used a heavy cable and lock that went down through the bed where the goose ball was. I also used 2x8's in the bed slots and bolted the gen to that too. Worked great even in the rain. Oh, I used an exhaust flex pipe and routed that through the side of the camper to keep things cooler.

Chain it to something immovable. The honda 2200s have a plastic carry handle, but plenty of ebay sellers sell a metal shroud that goes over it to prevent someone from cutting the handle off.

Worked good at cape lookout, generator was there all weekend when we went in Nov.

Back