gasser mods?

JUICED COUPE

As some of you know I picked up a 99 f250 v10. What is the best mods for a gasser? I was thinking catback and cold air intake. Are these worth it on a gasser? The other thing is a programmer. Do these make a difference on a gasser? What brand is better if so?

there's some dude in sc that supposedly makes killer tunes for the v10. 5 star tuning i think it is. from my research, the v10's come with pretty substandard tunes from the factory. i'd have to agree based on the experience with my personal 00 excursion v10. the early v10's (like yours) benefit from the later y pipe, but not so much from a catback other than a decent muffler/cat. intake is worth a little, but not much.

I tow with a low mile 02 Excursion V10.
My mods are: custom Y pipe, Superchips tune, Magaflow 3" exhaust and a home modded intake. Still tows like crap IMO. It does OK on flat ground, but Old Fort or Saluda Mountain makes me drop her down to 2nd @4000-5000 RPM all the way. It was cheap and big enough for our travel needs, but I hate towing with it.
Oh, and it gets worse mileage empty on the highway than my 10 second Fox body does around town.

I tow with a low mile 02 Excursion V10.
My mods are: custom Y pipe, Superchips tune, Magaflow 3" exhaust and a home modded intake. Still tows like crap IMO. It does OK on flat ground, but Old Fort or Saluda Mountain makes me drop her down to 2nd @4000-5000 RPM all the way. It was cheap and big enough for our travel needs, but I hate towing with it.
Oh, and it gets worse mileage empty on the highway than my 10 second Fox body does around town.
Yea I sold a blown 95 cobra to buy this truck and get a camper. It gets half the fuel mileage unloaded. Did you do the mods? If so did you feel a difference? HOw much do you tow?

My trailer is 1800 pounds, Mustang is 2700 and my MJ is close to 3800.
So, typically I tow 7000-7500 pounds on a race weekend with spares and tools. The mods may have helped it minimally, but it's not night and day.
If I could talk myself into it, I would regear to 4.56, but I don't wanna kill my mileage.
I bought it 2 years ago with 38k on it for $10k, couldn't pass that up. But in hindsight, a diesel would have been a better choice.

I bought this truck basically the same as you it was the nicest truck I could find inside my budget.

I pulled the camper with it and it did the job but was no speed demon.

I guess instead of throwing any money at this thing Ill save my lunch money and hope to get a diesel soon.

Back