gas-resistant adhesive/filler for plastic?

RatLabGuy

You look like a monkey and smell like one too
I need an adhesive/crack filler that is resistant to gasoline that works on plastic. Have to fix a big crack in the base of a plastic airbox into a lawnmower carb. The carb has some issues and occasionally spits back a little gas, don't want it to eat the filler/adhesive.
RTV? Roof sealant?

That being said, there is no adhesive out there that will bond to plastic (hdpe, pp, abs) to make any sort of real permanent repair... It will probably leak again. Could you screw and glue another piece of plastic over the crack?

IMG_20120811_103658[1].jpg

Not really. I was able to use a gel-base Krazy-glue style adhesive to hold peices together, but there are gaps that need to be filled in.

This goes to an old lady neighbor's lawn tractor that she never cleaned under the hood, and the years of old dried grass finally built up enough on the exhaust to catch fire... :massey: ... partially melting and cracking this airbox in the process...
so I'm just trying to patch it up so it'll run again for her. Unfortunately the part is no longer in production.
Kohler CV14s-1474 FYI if anybody knows where I could just get a replacement box...

If it's ABS based plastic, you can use MEK or acetone to possibly melt and flow the plastic around the crack until it fills in. If it's too wide, find a spot that has some extra, shave off some excess plastic, mix that with the MEK or acetone and make a paste you can then use to fill it. However, if the chemicals won't dissolve the plastic, you might be best off getting some Testor's airplane glue or ZAP gap filler CA glue and just using that.

I fixed my lawn mower gas line/cut off valve with an adhesive named Seal-All. No mixing, works on any material, weather resistant and not affected by gasoline or oil. Made in USA by Eclectic Products, Inc. Pineville La. 800 767 4667

I fixed my lawn mower gas line/cut off valve with an adhesive named Seal-All. No mixing, works on any material, weather resistant and not affected by gasoline or oil. Made in USA by Eclectic Products, Inc. Pineville La. 800 767 4667

Ah, that looks about perfect.

Turns out the fire also slightly melted the bottom of the float inside the bowl of the carb, juuust enough to create a tiny hole in it... this must be the root of my carb problems... float filling w/ gas, not pushing the needle up...
So maybe a dab of that stuff can seal that float too.

Back