Garden pond

drkelly

Dipstick who put two vehicles on jack stands
Nice weather this morning. I started digging out for my garden pond.

Before (pictures taken May 2021):

PXL_20210509_220318686.jpg
PXL_20210509_215556829.jpg

PXL_20210509_215631930.jpg

Now:
PXL_20220305_155535303.jpg

PXL_20220305_155558534.MP.jpg

PXL_20220305_155447850.jpg

I'm going to get a load or three of sand rock to build up the low end.

Bought a liner yet?
I haven't bought anything yet. I'm still researching everything. Do you have a pond? If so, got any tips and advice?

I haven't bought anything yet. I'm still researching everything. Do you have a pond? If so, got any tips and advice?
I have 3 ponds. Tell me what kind of fish you want. Epdm liners are good but hdrpe are a lot tougher. A little harder to fold and cheaper. I have both and like hdrpe better. In the third picture you can see my bog filter. Second picture was when I was building the bog filter.

Attachments

• pond2.jpg
    pond2.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 126
  • pond1.jpg
    pond1.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 132
  • pond.jpg
    pond.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 132
I have 3 ponds. Tell me what kind of fish you want. Epdm liners are good but hdrpe are a lot tougher. A little harder to fold and cheaper. I have both and like hdrpe better. In the third picture you can see my bog filter. Second picture was when I was building the bog filter.
I'm going to have questions, LOL!

Our landscaper at work just ordered some liners for two ponds we have to redo. He said he was having a hard time getting any and ours had been on order 5 months.
Hopefully you’ll have better luck. He said smaller liners he could get no problem

Very nice. I miss all my big koi. Something hunted them out. I found our last big boi down the hill. Eyes and head mostly gone. The rest left. I had some nice fish like yours.

Our landscaper at work just ordered some liners for two ponds we have to redo. He said he was having a hard time getting any and ours had been on order 5 months.
Hopefully you’ll have better luck. He said smaller liners he could get no problem
I'm probably going to need about a 25x35 or maybe 30x35 liner. Maybe I should have done more research and started buying the supplies before I started digging. I hate hot weather though, so if I didn't start the digging now, then I would end up waiting until October.

Very nice. I miss all my big koi. Something hunted them out. I found our last big boi down the hill. Eyes and head mostly gone. The rest left. I had some nice fish like yours.
I read that the first 'shelf' needs to be about 18-24" deep to prevent predators from getting the fish.

I read that the first 'shelf' needs to be about 18-24" deep to prevent predators from getting the fish.
And if you allow lilly pad plants to go to many years it fills up your deep hole.
I had not realized the evasive growth had taken away 90 percent of my deep habitat. My pond isn't huge but I muscled out two wheel barrow loads of just dense root matter.

Lilly plant was on top of this.
0320211818_HDR.jpg

It consumed the entire end and grew though the opening. It would have all sorts of blooms and gave great water coverage.
0320211751c_HDR.jpg
0320211751b_HDR.jpg
0320211751a_HDR.jpg
0320211751_HDR.jpg

I had to cut and chop it into sections. The weight and density was completely unexpected.

I have built ponds in the past, WAY in the past! If your shelfs aren't virgin cuts, or are made of fill, they won't hold up. Koi are nice fish and will come up to who or whatever are at the sides to greet them, be it coons or whatever. Use some old tarps to determine what size liner you need. Make sure any run off water can't enter from the sides. Kids and non-conforming adults will walk in it when you least expect it.

Back