Full Hydro Steering

R Q

Help me on my learning curve. I'm going full hydro on my steering and won't be able to use my original steering column because it will create issues with the orbital being in the way so I'm removing the original column and will use a quick release wheel. I see parts at PSC and at HSU. Where else?
I already have an orbital and a short stem that I picked up off of here.
Also any pics in a full bodied rig would help. I have a cross bar on the dash and attachment points from where the old column is so I have options. I just have to be careful of clearance for my big feet!
Once I take my old column out I'll see if I can do mods to use it instead.

Where do you need to install the orbital?
I installed mine where the steering box used to.be so I could reuse my column and shaft. Hose runs are shorter too.
Just curious so I can spit ball ideas.

Where do you need to install the orbital?
I installed mine where the steering box used to.be so I could reuse my column and shaft. Hose runs are shorter too.
Just curious so I can spit ball ideas.
I haven't even thought of putting it where the box was. I was hoping to lose the steering shaft that I have routed beside my motor (4.3) for an eventual swap to an LS. I was considering putting the orbital under the dash but I wasnt real fond of that idea, plus the hoses would be way long.
Here's the shaft I have going to the gear box.
1711201304617.jpeg

Another option for parts:

He has some good tech articles on there and videos on YouTube as well.

Another option for parts:

He has some good tech articles on there and videos on YouTube as well.
Okay and BTW I'm linking the front and adding a 60 so leafs will be gone

Looks like you could almost mount orbital almost vertical on frame pointy end at where steering shaft exits firewall.

One ujoint for shaft/orbital connection.

Then either all straight or 45° hose ends @ orbital.

I mounted my orbital at the bottom of my column. Removed the connecting shaft. Welded a star for the orbital to the steering shaft then made an orbital mount.
I wanted to keep my column as it already had my switch and all

I would have liked to mount it there but it's all into the manifold and I want room in the future for an LS.
1711209066339.jpeg

I would have liked to mount it there but it's all into the manifold and I want room in the future for an LS.
View attachment 414674

Rotate counter clock wise and move down.

May have to shorten stem?

May have to swing it outboard of frame rail? Depends on tire clearance at full lock?

May have to modify bottom of column/fire wall?

Hard to say with leaf hanger still there.

Or mount where steering box was and deal with snaking steering shaft and ujoints to get to it.

Just spit balling for max exh manifold room.

I really, really like my orbital being down where the steering box once was. Makes it easy to run hoses to the ram and pump. Servicing is easy as well since it's right there.
I used the typical universal mount that came with it and modified it to fit the frame.
I'll post a pic or two later on.

I really, really like my orbital being down where the steering box once was. Makes it easy to run hoses to the ram and pump. Servicing is easy as well since it's right there.
I used the typical universal mount that came with it and modified it to fit the frame.
I'll post a pic or two later on.
I have mine in the same spot and agree. Easy to access hoses, shorter runs to the ram, no orbital under the dash

Like Jody said, mine is mounted down near the steering box location, but on top of the frame. The steering shaft should move away from the manifold, if you mount the orbital on top of the frame vs inside.

1711374081924.png

Double ditto... mounted mine where the box was, because it was "easy" and like @Bebop , don't want a scalding oil bath EVER.
Hose routing (3 equal length hoses = 1 spare) & access is fall down simple.

Back