Fuel Treatments ?

Yay!Gurrr

Better Faster Stronger
Been reading up on this ULSD Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel and after reading all the disinformation and general 'opinions' on the topic. The only thing I can make out is that while it won't hurt the engines, the petrolium peoples arn't certain what it will do to pre 93 engine seals/orings in fuel systems.

So this brings up the question of fuel treatments. Is anyone running them as a general rule already? If so what brand and why ? any mpg gains?

I did pick up a qt of lucas treatment and the qt is good for 100gal of fuel. At the 8$ qt it cost me if i gain ~.5 mpg from its use it will pay for itself. Is this overly optimistic of an additive?

Any other input on the additive topic????
-mike

Hey, I can't tell you but if you want the FACTS and not just someone running there mouth call this company
Eastern Aviation Fuels. 252 633-0066 My wife works there as a fuel broker. They sale fuel to private jet owners and airports and they have guys there that know what they are talking about.

They Probably dont get too many calls about this so it may take a while to get to the person that would know.

The best I have found is the diesel kleen + cetane boost in the white bottle. Its noticable when its in the tank, and I have proven that it adds mpg(tested on my truck). Alot of diesel draggers run it too.

StudNuts said:
The best I have found is the diesel kleen + cetane boost in the white bottle. Its noticable when its in the tank, and I have proven that it adds mpg(tested on my truck). Alot of diesel draggers run it too.

x2 on the diesel kleen, good stuff. I definitely noticed a difference with my seat of the pants but dyno

x3 on the Diesel Clean you can feel it in my old 6.2

I run Stanadyne or Howes (dependant on mood) in my '01 Chevy, but I haven't picked up any mileage that I can tell. It's probably because I can't keep my foot out of it.

Diesel Kleen sucks! It'll kill your engine!

What.. SOMEONE had to go against the grain... :flipoff2:

It's good stuff...

any update on the newer fuels? I ran across a question on another forum:

so real soon all the pre 2007 diesels will have to have an additive every fill up, im pissed bout it, and was at my ford dealer today they are $7.00 for 12oz good for 40gallons, has anyone found it any cheaper??

and then one answer of any substance:

At least for the Dodge, Cummins has stated that additives are not necessary for pre-Jan 07 trucks running the newer fuel. The oil companies, who always have their own additives, are now adding a special additive to regain any lost performance from the new lower sulfur fuel.

I wouldn't worry about running an additive in every tank, but lots of guys swear by different brands and blends. I just started using about 8-10oz per tank (26 gallon) of Power Service DieselKleen in the white bottle. It's their "winter" formula with anti-gelling agents and a mild cetane boost. They also have a gray bottle for summer use and some different cetane levels, I think. This stuff can be had for cheap at WalMart/Autozone etc. Don't waste your money on dealer junk unless you're still under warranty and concerned about them honoring it.

BTW, most stations have been pumping the new fuel since this summer. Deadline for all was Oct. 06, I believe. So you've probably got it in your tank now.

are they really using different pumps? or have I been pumping it for a couple months now?

anybody know if there really is a concern on the pre-'93? or if the Cummins all have a green-light to run them with no additive?

Greg

Hey that was my answer. :lol: As I understand it the new fuel was required to be in all pumps by Oct. 06. This would mean that sometime prior to that most stations started filling up on it so that their tanks would be "flushed" of the old stuff. I don't have a connection in big oil or the PLO, just what I've heard. I'll see if I can find the link I read with the statement from Cummins re:ULSD.

Some guys have reported (on TDR, DTR) that they have had problems with older (ie 1st Gen Cummins, older service trucks, farm equip.) with exactly what you mentioned. O-rings and seals that seem to react poorly to the initial changeover, but then once replaced work fine.

I think the guy asking if he needed 7 bucks worth of dealer additive for every tank was over reacting a bit. Either way, I just started with the PS white bottle and will switch to gray in the spring. But I'm using less than most.

I'm using Power Service in the white bottle as well. TDR had a poll and that was the most used with Stanadyne in second. Power Service is more available hence the popularity. Some folks are also adding other things for an increase in lubricity, which is one of the big concerns with the removal of the sulfur. Marvel Mystery Oil is one, which I can't bring myself to add...other folks are adding 2 cycle oil and Power Service at each fill up.

Biodiesel would be my first choice to make sure the fuel lubed the pump and injectors...the problem is the Cary station stopped carrying it. :mad:

All Cummins engines will run without any negative side effects on ULSD. As many know I work for Cummins, in their Power Generation Division. Since many of these generators support mildly important places (like sewer treatment facilities, phone grids, HOSPITALS, etc.) we had to have multiple independent engineers certify our factory results. I have probably fielded 50-100 calls in the past 60 days as this subject has gained more exposure.

According to what our application engineer told me, the only thing that may/will give issues are the seals and o-rings. Really these are wear items anyway and do have a life span, the new ULSD does consist of some polymers that will dry all rubber material out and expedite their wear. However along with the new motors are new seals made of a different
synthetic that will stand up to these new conditions. Cummins will have retro fit seals on the shelf for every series of motor produced since '68 by March, many already are there, but they aren't exactly labeled so if you get a hold of a parts monkey who isnt familiar with anything more technical than a part number, you may have trouble getting your hands on it. The new seals will be the only ones available as current stock is depleted.

OK...I'll have to ask a basic question, since I do very little motor work...

which seals and o-rings are we talking about? items that are easily replaced? or does the motor have to be pulled apart like a full rebuild?

Greg

Here is the common ULSD caused leak on PSD engines 1999-2003. This is a cut and paste from FlatRiverOffRoad.com:
There is a tube that is coming down the front of the engine near the CPS. It just looks like a metal drain cause thats just what it is. If its coming from there then the fuel filter drain valve "o" rings are leaking. You can buy some new VITON "o" rings from an outside source other than Ford or you can replace part # F81Z-9A153-AA which is the complete drain valve. That is what I did. Here is a good link from The Diesel Stop that shows the fix. My drain tube looked a little different that the truck in the picture but its the same principal. The cause? CLICK HERE for the PDF This is a very large and common problem. Thank the federal government for this problem. HTH. ;)

Back