Fuel Cell Pressure + Miss Fire = ??????

I didn't see it mentioned (maybe I scanned too fast)...but have you fixed the fact that the seal at the top isn't secure?

Greg

I realize that the black gasket thing isn't on completely. I don't think it's affecting how the pump operates.

Did you get your leak fixed Greg?

ProjekTJ said:
I realize that the black gasket thing isn't on completely. I don't think it's affecting how the pump operates.
Did you get your leak fixed Greg?

haven't touched it...but I'm going in Thursday to do the coilovers, so we'll probably knock it out then...

one other thing I'm gonna do, is probably add some screws to the two pieces...

I'm also going to double-check the port you're using and the one I'm using, to see if there is anything different about them (based on one of the ROF posts)...

Greg

I am pulling the sending unit tonight to check the center tube, O-ring, and side connection arms.

For God's sake DO NOT install a fuel cell wrong! EVER!

Not really up those intank pumps, BUT...

when I helped Brent swap out the pump in his ZJ (contact him for a less expensive Walbro replacement available at O'Riellys), we took the old pump apart and it was a b!tch to "disassemble". I concur with others that have said "it shouldn't cock" like it is...

Thanks, I know it shouldn't cock like that. It should work perfectly.

Disassembly isn't a problem...it's reassembling it properly that is the hard part.

greg slade said:
too much use of the word "cock" in this thread. :flipoff2:
I probed deeper into the fuel assembly unit to find out why it was cocked.
Make note of the tab that holds the leg in position.
DSC00356.jpg

Notice no tab on this one...and just happends to be the direction of cock'dness.
DSC00353.jpg

But nothing internally is damaged. I gently took it apart and inspected the O-ring. It is intact and functioning, no broken internals.
DSC00351.jpg

Greg Slade, preach to me on the fact that the fuel pressure regulator may have in fact been damaged from the back pressure.
And YES, I took pictures of the inside of the inside of a fuel assembly pump. :)
-Staton

ProjekTJ said:
Greg Slade, preach to me on the fact that the fuel pressure regulator may have in fact been damaged from the back pressure.

Doesn't sound like thats your problem. I was not aware of the fact that the TJ pumps dont have a return line? So if you didnt back feed the system thru the return line it most likely did not happen.

Bless you, my child.

Not sure about the PUMP having a return line, but there's dang sure one off the FUEL RAIL on all the 4.0L I've seen... it bleeds fuel back (to the tank?) when the regulator opens to excess pressure...

Right or wrong :confused:

Staton...kinda unrelated question, but you pulled the filler neck off, so you should know the answer...

is there a seal of any kind under it?

I finally got the CEL yesterday, but haven't checked the code...assuming it's a small EVAP leak...

trying to make the system airtight, and was wondering how they sealed the filler neck?

Thanks.
Greg

There is a black gasket under the filler neck.
And, I don't know what kind of rings were suppose to be under the fuel pump assembly but mine had nothing as far as gaskets or sealing rings. The only thing there was a rubber gasket that was all mangled to hell and rendered useless. :mad:

Ryan, what I found last night is posted in thread #35. Nothing helpful.:mad:

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

You will need to put a gasket between the fuel cell and the fuel pump. A fuel resistant cork gasket will work. Do a search on pirate for the user ID of Gofer. Sheldon installed the set up on his and did a decent job of explaining everything there.

Where is the spring on the Pump?
Looks like the rail assembly is dicked up.
Strech it out all the way drill a hole on each piller and the canister then use some small screws and nuts to keep it from moving around and getting "cocked".
It will be okay all the way streched out, thats what it was designed for.
Make sure to check your wires a partially loose ground can cause issues.
Also did you use any kind of sealer for the pump?
If so it had better be the gas tank stuff and nothing else like RTV it can get up past the filter, collect and cause the pump to not work correctly.
Try that and see what happens.

Sheldon

Gofer said:
Also did you use any kind of sealer for the pump?
If so it had better be the gas tank stuff and nothing else like RTV it can get up past the filter, collect and cause the pump to not work correctly.
Try that and see what happens.
Sheldon

I can't remember exactly what the sealer was...but it was clear and in a yellow tube...and was made for gasoline applications...it's the same stuff we used on mine the following week, and I think the same one that CRS used on Ian's Jeep a couple months ago (that has never leaked)...

Greg

Back