FSB transmission and gearing questions

YJKrawlin

Looking to get a full size bronco soon and transfering some parts from my last build. Looking anywhere in the range from 1980-96, year isnt specific to body because I can always put the front clip I like on and plan to go to overfenders to clear 40s. My question is regarding transmissions and axle ratios. I intend to run an automatic and the 3 autos in these broncos are the c6, AOD and E4OD. I've heard the AOD just womt handle the abuse and to avoid it like the plague. I'm wanting to run a doubler if possible and length will allow. I know the E4OD is longer than the c6 so I'm not sure if it's too long to use a doubler and at 3.73 gears on 40s I'm certain I'll have to regear to 5.13 (the deepest I've found for the sterling) sooner rather than later to keep the trans alive. The c6 though is shorter and can fit a doubler as well as run with my current 3.73 gears, but I feel like I'm going to have a much shittier gear selection running such a high gear offroad. Anybody have some real life experience of why one trans is obviously the better choice and why I should run it. Or real world experience running a doubler with the e4od in a bronco?

I'd run 5.38s, an E4OD, and no doubler.
I haven't seen 5.38s for the sterling. I'll have to double check. Is the bw1356 behind the e4od a strong enough tcase?

Dad's trailonly rig is an 88 fsb with the 5.8 a c6 and the 1356. It's on a 60 front ant 10.25 rear and 42s with 5.38 gears Detroit lockers front and rear.

He isn't a hardcore wheeler but the 1356 is holding up just fine wherever the fsb can fit in Harlan, the flats (R.I.P.) or uwharrie.

Dad's trailonly rig is an 88 fsb with the 5.8 a c6 and the 1356. It's on a 60 front ant 10.25 rear and 42s with 5.38 gears Detroit lockers front and rear.

He isn't a hardcore wheeler but the 1356 is holding up just fine wherever the fsb can fit in Harlan, the flats (R.I.P.) or uwharrie.
I'm assuming its trailered to the trails with the kind of gearing and no od? Or it's a screaming ride haha. That's reassuring about the bw case though.

I'm assuming its trailered to the trails with the kind of gearing and no od? Or it's a screaming ride haha. That's reassuring about the bw case though.

It is trailered but that's mostly because the thing death wobbles and the tires are square and not balanced well.

42 inch tires with a 5.38 gear is the same rpm as a stock 32 tire and a 3.73ish gear. It actually doesn't scream at all basically a few hundred rpm higher than it was stock at 60 to 65 if you're brave enough to make it that high.

My old 78 f150 will run 65mph around 2500 to 2700 rpm if I remember correctly with a granny 4 speed (no od) with 42s and 5.13 gears.

Not on your option list, but I'm on a kick to 6R80 swap the world. Could probably sell the AOD and E4OD and cover it.
Just looked into it and it sounds sweet, but what would.my engine options be with that trans? Seems like it only bolts up to the modular engines? So would I also have to coyote 5.0 swap as well?

Just looked into it and it sounds sweet, but what would.my engine options be with that trans? Seems like it only bolts up to the modular engines? So would I also have to coyote 5.0 swap as well?

Assuming the Bronco range you’re talking, you’re primarily looking at 302’s and 351w’s:

PA Ford 6R80 Transmission to Small Block Ford Engine Adapter

I’m sure there are other adapters out there too. And I’m pretty sure you can get the 6r80 to 1356 adapter from Advance Adapters too.

Assuming the Bronco range you’re talking, you’re primarily looking at 302’s and 351w’s:

PA Ford 6R80 Transmission to Small Block Ford Engine Adapter

I’m sure there are other adapters out there too. And I’m pretty sure you can get the 6r80 to 1356 adapter from Advance Adapters too.
Yeah. That's what I have experience with. I know people diesel swap and 460 swap all the time but I'd like to keep it lighter if possible and stick with what I'm familiar with. I'll look into it. Thanks for the link

Definitely not a cheap swap that's for sure

Nah...can usually find a usable trans for under $1000...but you’re looking at another $800-1000 in adapters...and probably another $500 controller. Figure another $500 in miscellaneous mounts and maybe a converter. So figure $3k all in to be on the safe side...depending on combo I’ve known guys to do it as cheaply as $1500. But you get all them gears and OD, and lots of guys vouching for it to 1000hp in stock form.

Nah...can usually find a usable trans for under $1000...but you’re looking at another $800-1000 in adapters...and probably another $500 controller. Figure another $500 in miscellaneous mounts and maybe a converter. So figure $3k all in to be on the safe side...depending on combo I’ve known guys to do it as cheaply as $1500. But you get all them gears and OD, and lots of guys vouching for it to 1000hp in stock form.
May be something I consider down the line. The 2 overdrive and steeper 1st gear would be nice. I might plan to get a bronco with a c6 that I can tun my 3.73 with and regear if I go to an overdrive trans.

I haven't seen 5.38s for the sterling. I'll have to double check. Is the bw1356 behind the e4od a strong enough tcase?

They're out there. The 1356 is fine. I had one break that was worn out - too much endplay on the planetary let it pop out of gear. A new chain and gearset fixed it right up. The 1356 is a lot more efficient than a doubler, too. The doublers suck up power to keep all those big gears spinning.

They're out there. The 1356 is fine. I had one break that was worn out - too much endplay on the planetary let it pop out of gear. A new chain and gearset fixed it right up. The 1356 is a lot more efficient than a doubler, too. The doublers suck up power to keep all those big gears spinning.
I guess I'm just used to running cast iron gear driven cases so it seems odd to put so much trust into a chain driven aluminum case.

I guess I'm just used to running cast iron gear driven cases so it seems odd to put so much trust into a chain driven aluminum case.

If it makes you feel any better, we have a junkyard 1356 in our 800hp race truck that's been beat on for 3 years. Was never intended for it to be used more than just that night, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I actually do think it's a weak point, but very impressed it's held together as long as it has.

Back