FS bronco (tow newbie)

paulevans76

I'll be getting a bronco sometime in the next few weeks (late 80's to mid 90's) and it's gonna be my DD/occational tow rig. I know it's not the best choice for towing, but I needed something that would be fun enough to drive to justify the horrible gas milage of DD/tow rig. plus, I can't afford a good diesel and I don't want to drive a limo-size truck everyday, so please don't try to talk me into something else :flipoff2:

I hope I get one with a 351 as that will make easier work of long/steep grades with a load.

so the goals I hope to accomplish are that it will ride nice around town and tow decently enough without killing itself or me. oh and to impress the chickies as the mall, of course :rolleyes:

short term plans so far include a big trans cooler, airbag helper springs, 285/75/16's (E), and the best shocks I can afford. if the suspension seems beat, I might go for a 1.5-2" spring lift if that would be safe.

long term (if I don't smarten up and get a LWB dedicated tow rig), weight distributing hitch, trailer brake control kit, and maybe 4.11's.

any suggestions as far as brands go? anything else I should add?

I towed a lot with my 1990 K5 Blazer before I had anything else to tow with. There are other things that tow better, but a full-size Bronco should work, if you understand its limits.

What do you plan to tow?

Trailer brakes are a MUST HAVE if you are towing over 3000 pounds. Don't do it without it. You might get away without them, but there are plenty of people that find them in situations where they wish they would have had them, and end up in a wreck.

A weight distributing hitch is a great idea.

Search pbb for vetteboy's Big bronco buildup using a ctd drivetrain/axles. :flipoff2:

But seriously, forget about anything late 80's or older...don't screw with carbs. You didn't say what you're towing, but a brake controller should be one of your first purchases..especially with the swb in case the trailer starts to sway or push. Trans cooler and possibly helper springs would be a good start too. But honestly, towing a heep (or trooper) on a 16ft trailer definately isn't going to be pushing the bronco to it's limits.. Other than maybe the brakes.

I'll be towing my trooper trail rig. probably 5k loaded for a weekend of camping/wheeling. I figure I'll just rent a trailer when I need one. uhaul offers trailers w/ brakes right?

and yeah, I'm looking at 88-96's. I like the older ones but they would be more likely to become never-ending fix-it's.

I'll be towing my trooper trail rig. probably 5k loaded for a weekend of camping/wheeling. I figure I'll just rent a trailer when I need one. uhaul offers trailers w/ brakes right?

Towing with a short wheel base 1/2 ton= Mr Toads Wild ride
Uhaul trailer have surge brake and are narrow a I doubt that your rig would fit unless it is farly stock.

i've put a few troopers (stock and mildly built) on uhaul trailers over the past few years and they fit fine. this trooper isn't very stock anymore, but it's not on full widths or anything.

trailer brake is a must. i hope the short wheelbase doesnt cause you problems at full speed. good luck.

thanks for the advice guys :beer:

especially with a SWB tow rig, you do not want surge brakes... they always suck, but you stand a much higher chance of getting pushed around.

especially with a SWB tow rig, you do not want surge brakes... they always suck, but you stand a much higher chance of getting pushed around.

Ditto

I damn nar learned this one the hard way...

I have had Broncos for over 10 years now and there is no way in hell I would tow 5K with one.

I towed with an 84 FS Bronco, 351W/C6, 35 inch tires, and 4.10s, towing the 68 Bronco on a 16 ft trailer from SLC to Las Cruces and back ONCE. I had brakes on both axles and a weight distrib hitch. You can do it, but be dang sure you have the vehicle on the trailer in the right spot, 6 inches forward or back can make a huge difference.

If you have to do it, I would highly recommend something like this: www.tufftow.com[/urll]. After th...ronco just due to wheelbase. HTH, Shannon

Back