Friends of Uwharrie Club

Yay!Gurrr

Better Faster Stronger
Shawn, I'd like to unsubscribe from the Friends of Uwharrie club but I'm not sure how?

I tried unsubscribing from in in my control panel but its not listed there with the other groups I participate in.

I don't feel like the FOU club represents me and how I would like to be reflected in/at Uwharrie. I will maintain my involvement at Uwharrie through my membership in CTB which I feel is a better fit for me there.

Thanks
-mike

Pretty sure FoU is not a forum you join or leave, its just open access like chit chat or the ECORS section for non competitors.

Hope that helps.

Yes that's my point. I'm forced to look at it and I'm really tired of it. Its a club with a president and self appointed officials.

It's a club, put it in the club section.

I will participate at URE via CTB and/or CNC or other supporting clubs.

Ah, I missed the sarcasm, damn you internet. Good Luck.

The clubs and volunteers that were donating to the work weekend wanted a more official structure set up in FoU to keep things transparent about how we handle money etc. This involved creating a structure with titles, and making a treasurer to handle finances. Volunteers have requested further organizational structures which includes more positions with more titles. So I started to implement these to help with the concerns of the clubs and volunteers.

A select few don't like the idea, and only view it as self appointed titles etc. The titles don't change the importance of anyone or their jobs, they are there for organization purposes only. I don't care what I am called, the fact is I coordinate the FoU effort. A title doesn't change my job, but it pisses a select few off because they see it as more than it is. I can't stop them from reading into it more than what is really there.

The clubs and volunteers that were donating to the work weekend wanted a more official structure set up in FoU to keep things transparent about how we handle money etc. This involved creating a structure with titles, and making a treasurer to handle finances. Volunteers have requested further organizational structures which includes more positions with more titles. So I started to implement these to help with the concerns of the clubs and volunteers.
A select few don't like the idea, and only view it as self appointed titles etc. The titles don't change the importance of anyone or their jobs, they are there for organization purposes only. I don't care what I am called, the fact is I coordinate the FoU effort. A title doesn't change my job, but it pisses a select few off because they see it as more than it is. I can't stop them from reading into it more than what is really there.

We do need a structure for accountability and transparency. The problem I think a lot of people have, so far, is that very few individuals appear to have a say in the process or the decisions. Bobby D. has started a thread that I think is on the right path to get some things back on track.

Eli - Taking it upon yourself to arrange and assign titles is not the way to go about it. Those decisions are not yours alone to make. Defending your actions as doing so to make the FS or volunteers happy is also unacceptable. The matter should have been presented as an open topic for discussion, suggestions and nominations.

You were asked to fill the position of Uwharrie workday coordinator and liaison to the Forest Service on behalf of Friends of Uwharrie/NC4x4. If you'd like to nominate yourself for some other position, feel free.

I don't want anyone getting their feelings in a bind... god knows I get butthurt every now and then. lol
one thing I have learned in the past is that you can't please all people all the time. there is usually someone that leaves a situation where decisions are being made and followed through on that are against their wishes. the thing we have to try to do is be better people and better than our human programing by helping and not hindering the group decision & effort to follow through.

Eli - Taking it upon yourself to arrange and assign titles is not the way to go about it. Those decisions are not yours alone to make. Defending your actions as doing so to make the FS or volunteers happy is also unacceptable. The matter should have been presented as an open topic for discussion, suggestions and nominations.

You were asked to fill the position of Uwharrie workday coordinator and liaison to the Forest Service on behalf of Friends of Uwharrie/NC4x4. If you'd like to nominate yourself for some other position, feel free.

I don't know how else to word this, but I will try to explain it to the best of my ability.

Here was the understood jobs performed by the different people involved in FoU before "titles were assigned".

Top Authority indirect/direct -Administration of NC4X4, and Forest Service

Head Organizer - Myself
Assistant Organizer - Brian
Payment/Money Collector for Rentals - Chris

No one had a problem with this, and this is how it was.

I decided to put more official titles to the above:

Top Authority indirect/direct - Administration of NC4X4, and Forest Service

Head Organizer (President) - Myself
Assistant Organizer (Vice-President) - Brian
Treasurer - Chris

If you look and see nothing changed, except the un-official jobs were given titles. I didn't take it upon myself to appoint anyone to do anything. All I did was give people official titles so it was more clear what was going on. These people stepped up and took on these jobs without any appointment, and no one had any issues with this until they were given a different title. I still do the same thing, Brian does the same thing, and Chris does the same thing. Titles are apart of the process in becoming an organization, and in the end goal becoming a Not For Profit Organization. If people want to misconstrue this for it being a club, that is up to them.

Lets be crystal clear about something. I was never asked to be the Uwharrie Coordinator/Liaison.

1.) I came up with the idea to see how a workday would go over with the people on NC4X4. There was no FoU, or anything of the sort. It went well so we (the volunteers at the workday) decided to see how another one would go in May.

2.)May comes around and I am pulled away from my lunch with the others attending the workday. I was TOLD either I set up and turn what was my idea into the FoU, or someone else would be appointed. There was no asking.

From that point Brian stepped up and showed a level of dedication to the workdays beyond that of most other volunteers. So he took on the roll of the Assistant Volunteer. Chris stepped up and has paid for and collected funds for all of our equipment rentals. So he took on the roll of a treasurer essentially. These jobs were taken on by volunteers, they weren't appointed to them.

We aren't a club, and we don't have people paying dues. So anyone and everyone could in theory vote if we elected people to positions. This doesn't work due to the fact everyone and anyone aren't always involved in the volunteering group. Someone that has no experience volunteering etc could get put in charge of this entire organization purely because of a popularity contest. So instead of taking the route of chaos we work with what we have.

So people within the volunteer organization step up and fill the jobs needed on their own accord. And when this is noticed they are given a title for clarity sake. If certain people want to be more involved in the organization all they have to do is step up and take care of a job that needs to be done.

I don't know how else to word this, but I will try to explain it to the best of my ability.
Here was the understood jobs performed by the different people involved in FoU before "titles were assigned".
Top Authority indirect/direct -Administration of NC4X4, and Forest Service
Head Organizer - Myself
Assistant Organizer - Brian
Payment/Money Collector for Rentals - Chris
No one had a problem with this, and this is how it was.
I decided to put more official titles to the above:
Top Authority indirect/direct - Administration of NC4X4, and Forest Service
Head Organizer (President) - Myself
Assistant Organizer (Vice-President) - Brian
Treasurer - Chris
If you look and see nothing changed, except the un-official jobs were given titles. I didn't take it upon myself to appoint anyone to do anything. All I did was give people official titles so it was more clear what was going on. These people stepped up and took on these jobs without any appointment, and no one had any issues with this until they were given a different title. I still do the same thing, Brian does the same thing, and Chris does the same thing. Titles are apart of the process in becoming an organization, and in the end goal becoming a Not For Profit Organization. If people want to misconstrue this for it being a club, that is up to them.
Lets be crystal clear about something. I was never asked to be the Uwharrie Coordinator/Liaison.
1.) I came up with the idea to see how a workday would go over with the people on NC4X4. There was no FoU, or anything of the sort. It went well so we (the volunteers at the workday) decided to see how another one would go in May.
2.)May comes around and I am pulled away from my lunch with the others attending the workday. I was TOLD either I set up and turn what was my idea into the FoU, or someone else would be appointed. There was no asking.
From that point Brian stepped up and showed a level of dedication to the workdays beyond that of most other volunteers. So he took on the roll of the Assistant Volunteer. Chris stepped up and has paid for and collected funds for all of our equipment rentals. So he took on the roll of a treasurer essentially. These jobs were taken on by volunteers, they weren't appointed to them.
We aren't a club, and we don't have people paying dues. So anyone and everyone could in theory vote if we elected people to positions. This doesn't work due to the fact everyone and anyone aren't always involved in the volunteering group. Someone that has no experience volunteering etc could get put in charge of this entire organization purely because of a popularity contest. So instead of taking the route of chaos we work with what we have.
So people within the volunteer organization step up and fill the jobs needed on their own accord. And when this is noticed they are given a title for clarity sake. If certain people want to be more involved in the organization all they have to do is step up and take care of a job that needs to be done.
You are digging a hole.

Back