Freightliner Ambulance ideas

bigassedredjeep

Been looking into different ideas for tow rigs lately, i don't want new truck payments, and looking for something with more room, capability than what i have now. (3500 chevy, regular cab, GAS) and happened to see a couple of these ready to be auctioned off, and it perked my interest.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Frei...6QQihZ011QQcategoryZ63742QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ai20.ebayimg.com_04_i_08_02_b6_3c_12.JPG

This would pull about anything i could come up with,. and its cheaper than a new truck. I'm thinking: install a couch/bed combo from a conversion van for two more passengers, and add a couple of RV windows in the rear for better visablity. Then i would have A/C, an electrical source, TONS of storage, and reliable power, and a place to crash (atleast for me).

things i'd like to know:
insurance?
what would it take to convert it to an RV?
does this sound remotely like a good idea if i could get it for cheap?
looking at pulling a bumper-pull trailer for two rigs, feasible with this?

Interesting... but not at $13k.

They're FL-60s.

Sorry, can't see Ebay from work - $13K is a little steep I think as well. Good idea depending on the engine - Cummins M11 possibly?

they're FL-60's, with a Cummins and an Allison 4-speed auto...just says 240HP Cummins, but not size...

also have Air Ride suspensions...mileage between 130K and 245K...all '98-'03 models...serviced every 90 days...

Greg

Interesting... but not at $13k.

They're FL-60s.

$13k is still 1/2-1/3 of a new "cheap" 1-ton from any of the big three.. this was the only example of one i could find so far.

i don't know much on the big diesels (well, any diesels for that matter) what would be a better engine. pros/cons to the diesels mentioned so far. which one's should i stay away from?

thanks

when i was looking at vehicles I too had looked at some ambulances. The one thing that was sceary was the operating conditions... The vehicles are usually started cold, immediatly drived hard, then sit idling for long periods of time.. Byond that it would make an ideal hauler

$13k is still 1/2-1/3 of a new "cheap" 1-ton from any of the big three.. this was the only example of one i could find so far.
i don't know much on the big diesels (well, any diesels for that matter) what would be a better engine. pros/cons to the diesels mentioned so far. which one's should i stay away from?
thanks

The only thing you would need to worry about on the bigger diesels is mileage, Daimler Benz owns Freightliner & Detriot Diesel - would be a 60 series if a Detriot, 12.1 litre engine = about 7.5 - 8 MPG at the very best. Cummins M11, 11 litre engine - looking at 8-10 at best when towing. You might be surprised to crack the hood and find a 5.9 ISB that is in the Dodge trucks. They can be used in class 5 trucks as well.

I think the going rate on u-hauls was <$6000, and they seem to be pretty well maintained.

Unlike an ambulance, which you can guarantee has been beat to crap... and probably has 2x-3x as many hours on it as the mileage would suggest.

I think there's merit to the medium-duty truck idea.... but ambulances aren't where I would start looking for donors.

As far as engines go, take a look at some of the expediter boards. There are a lot of guys running class 6 and 7 trucks there. Nothing wrong with Cummins... I believe Cat was one of the ones to avoid... due to worse fuel economy and higher maintenance/repair costs. But you'd want to do a bit of research to sort out which specific motors are better than others.

Im a medic down here in SC, and we service our rigs on a per hour useage, versus mileage or a monthly time frame. Not sure about that one. As stated earlier, they are cranked cold, and ran hard. I know when we drive the box, I am either wide open or stopped. We have one '05 F550 that is on it's 2nd turbo in 2,000 miles and a '06 450 that has already received it's first turbo after 400 miles. We do have one freightshaker that has roughly 19,000 miles on it, I will say it has plenty of pull, and has only been to the shop for a few things such as A/C and general electrical..... other than that it has been fine, but its had a hard life.....

I might be able to find you one cheaper down here.....We had a company or two go belly up, so they are auctioning off a few boxes with one being the freightliner, I'll dig into it and let you know......

If I had to choose between something that was driven hard and well maintained or something that was neglected, I'll take the ambulance over a u-haul.. hell, 1/2 the work is done for you with the amby.. A/C, electrical, storage..

The ones at our station alway stayed plugged in to the block heater / charger.

yeah the boxes are washed and maintained very well, but have had the dog shit ran out of them. I think its a cool idea, not to mention all the electrical and the inverter and all

I really wouldn't compair a u-haul to a a ambulance.. The only thing in common in this case is they both are on International chassis :) And both have inherent issues based on the intended driver :)

u-haul - idiot driver paid to drive this thing and can barily figure how to start the thing, driving to fast and braking to hard.
Ambi - idiot driver is getting paid to drive this thing as fast as (s)he can, driving to fast and braking to hard.

Most med. duty trucks I looked at had issues. Fact was if it wasn't broke or gonna fail a DOT inspection, it was on the road making money. Everything from the standard riped driver seat, to smached front ends...

U-hauls or ambulances can be in as good or poor of condition as anythign else out there.. The newer stuff has hour meters and can be helpful to see that. Older stuff its hard to guage based on the odometer. Shop around, mine uhaul came with papers and documentaiton for a lot of stuff.. I still took a risk but I felt the overall condition and model features made it worth the risk.. I'll let ya know after I get a few trips on it.

Oh ya, the other thing is ALWAYS run a Carfax, to determine where a vehicle lived, salt ruins big trucks as well as little cars..

If I had to choose between something that was driven hard and well maintained or something that was neglected, I'll take the ambulance over a u-haul [snip]

The ones at our station alway stayed plugged in to the block heater / charger.

LOL... no wonder you'd pick the ambulance. Plugged in? Judging by the experience that you've had with them, that one was never used. :lol:

Talk to somebody that works in a county where they run the same truck 24hrs a day, then auction them off after 3-4 yrs because they're worn plumb out. It'll change your tune.

Edit: here's something I hadn't considered, tho.... the way copper prices are going, you could probably buy an ambulance, scrap most of the wire out of it, and make back a significant portion of the purchase price. ;)

Edit: here's something I hadn't considered, tho.... the way copper prices are going, you could probably buy an ambulance, scrap most of the wire out of it, and make back a significant portion of the purchase price. ;)

ha, yeah that's true! hadn't thought of that either.

What would be needed to convert it to an RV classification? I read where yager had a fairly simple time with his (so far), but would I need to install a sink/jon/shower? I was thinking if so, I could add a porta-shower (shower head on a hose, and a curtain) in one the outside storage bins. Possibly a small stainess sink in one of counters, but the supply/drainage tanks would have to be really small. The Jon, on the other hand, would be a PITA. Not really wanting it inside, and I doubt it would "fly" with the DMV, with putting it on the outside.

LOL... no wonder you'd pick the ambulance. Plugged in? Judging by the experience that you've had with them, that one was never used. :lol:

Talk to somebody that works in a county where they run the same truck 24hrs a day, then auction them off after 3-4 yrs because they're worn plumb out. It'll change your tune.

I'd be willing to bet there's just as many like the one I described as the ones you described..

I would be worried about seeing dead people.
You would think they remove the dead folk before the auction, who'da thunk. :flipoff2:

I could never get the back clean enough, hospitals/amb are nasty.
I agree here, but a good hosing out with PINESOL or something similar (barely deluted) would help alot. I'd say bleach, but that'll kill any and all metal it touches in short order if you can't get it rinsed out well.

You would think they remove the dead folk before the auction, who'da thunk. :flipoff2:
I agree here, but a good hosing out with PINESOL or something similar (barely deluted) would help alot. I'd say bleach, but that'll kill any and all metal it touches in short order if you can't get it rinsed out well.

To kill what ever, all you need is bleach water at 200PPM (parts per million)
Basically a bleach cap full in a 5 gallon bucket. Not harsh enough to hurt anything, but will kill any bacteria.

Back