Forest Service Stance On Uwharrie OHV Trails

J.C.

Volunteer
I had the privilege of meeting with District Ranger Deborah Walker and Recreation Supervisor Theresa Savery November 16, 2009 regarding the OHV trial system at Uwharrie National Forest. I have spent more time on the trails there this year compared to years past and the overall condition of the trails was of concern to me so I scheduled a meeting with them to discuss trail conditions and what the 4wd community could do to help.

First of all, Ranger Walker assured me of her commitment to keeping the Uwharrie OHV trails open for 4wd enthusiasts to enjoy. She was very specific in mentioning that NC Forest Supervisor Marisue Hilliard is very aware of the animosity toward the Forest Service by the 4wd community and that both of them were desirous of continuing to provide a quality OHV experience on the OHV trails at Uwharrie National Forest.

One of my main concerns in meeting with Ranger Walker was the proliferation of bypass and spider trails in the forest. Just over the course of this year, major bypasses have appeared on the Daniel and Rocky Mount trials. Spider trails have sprung up, as usual, in many areas, especially in the high spectator areas.

Ranger Walker’s stance is that bypasses are a necessary part of the trail system. In order to provide access in the forest to all levels of motorized vehicles, bypasses around some of the more difficult sections are required. However, it is not up to the individual trail users to determine where bypasses are necessary and to create them. The Forest Service uses the winter closure period to survey the trail system and determine where bypasses are most needed and to perform the trail and signage work necessary to implement them into the OHV system. During the open season it is necessary that trail users to remain on signed trails and bypasses! One of the things the 4wd community could help with is to come up with ideas to improve awareness of all OHV trail users of the necessity of staying on marked trails.

Another area of concern we discussed was Forest Service Work Days. The number participants in these work days has decreased over the last couple of years to the point the work days have become ineffective. It is necessary that we, the 4wd community, give back to the effort to keep the trails open and clean. Just this weekend I witnessed members of the CNC club dumping several bags of trash collected on the trails at the double parking lot trash receptacles. This wasn’t a club trail cleanup project, just some good citizens doing their job. When was the last time you stopped on the trail, during one of your regular rides, and made the trails better for those coming behind you?

The Forest Service has several projects scheduled for the winter closure period including installation of culverts, erection of bypass barriers and a survey of the trail system to look at improvements and additions that could be made. If you are a member of a club that participates in keeping the trails maintained at Uwharrie, please be sure to attend your club work days in 2010. If you are not a club member, try to attend at least one Forest Service Work Day in 2010. At the very least, next time you are there; pick up one trash bag full of cans and bottles. Trust me, it won’t be hard or take very long to find an area to accomplish this small task which will help make the trails better for all of us to enjoy!

Back