Ford 6.0... the saga continues.

Also the dana 80 has developed a whine to it that Im hoping is just pinion bearings,gonna address that this Wednesday.
Well $1200 later the whine is gone but found out the,new in Feb,unit bearing on the ps front is toast.Got it home tonight,back in the garage and pulled the unit bearing out.Gonna get it warrantied in the morning.

6.0 diesel owners, yall are gluttons for punishment

Maybe but what’s our options?? They all have their problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe but what’s our options?? They all have their problems.

When the motor lets go, Cummins swap it. That's about all those trucks are missing is a solid engine.

When the motor lets go, Cummins swap it. That's about all those trucks are missing is a solid engine.

I’ll step up to 09/10 w a 6.4 if that happens. You can get one w a bad motor pretty cheap. I was looking at doin that when I bought this one.

Been a while since I updated this so here's the lo down.I wound up replacing all 8 injectors last winter w Motorcraft reman injectors and changed the rest of the stand pipes/dummy plugs w the updated versions.Truck ran good for about a year then back in Mar we were in Lancaster PA and the truck developed a long start and finally would'nt start at all when hot.We were 15 miles from our hotel with a 18 foot trailer,cost me $200 to get them both back to the hotel.Truck sat over night and the next morning it started and we left two days early.We didnt shut it off on the way home and it ran just fine.Got home and shut it off and it would'nt start back.One of the updated dummy plugs had failed.Fixed it and made another trip to Pa and back w no issues.Truck ran good and we made several long trips in it,all w a trailer behind it,IN,IL,.MO,OH.KY never missed a beat.Back in late August we were on our way back from Pa (again w a trailer) and I noticed black smoke coming out of the tail pipe.Truck isnt tuned and has never smoked so i knew something was up. We made it back thru PA.MA, and WV with it rollin coal the whole way.Black smoke turned to blue and I shut it down.Truck would start and run but just barely.Spent the next 7 hours at the Loves truck stop in somewhere VA (6 hours from home) before the tow truck could get there for the truck and my son could get there for us and the trailer.Tow bill was $4/mile and we were 374 miles from home,you do the math.The verdict at the shop is a stuck injector and a melted piston on #1.SOOOOO the cabs coming off hopefully in the next couple of weeks,motor is coming out for a new piston,heads w new inj cups. and Im gonna stud it and replace the lifters while Im in.Yeah I should have shut it down at the first sign of trouble but I was trying to limp it home and avoid the tow bill.You hear over and over again "only use genuine MC parts on 6.0" and everything Ive done has been with MC parts but based on recent events I dont think MC is much better than anyone else.Dummy plug was about 14 months old.injecotr was 16/17 months old and one of my new MC batteries has went bad too.Truck went down at the worst possible time and Ive had to rely on my old 96 7.3 F-250 to get us thru.Im really pretty disgusted about the whole situation to be honest.Truck gets new MC fuel filters (both of em) every 15K and I run Mobil 1 full syn in it w a MC filter.I havent done the math but by the time Im back on the road Im gonna be about 25 K in the truck.

Last edited:
When my dad had power strokes, we learned that there is a big difference between Motorcraft and FoMoCo parts. Try a set of FoMoCo brake pads and you'll understand. All I know, but atleast after 20 yrs people have figured out the week spots in them. 🤔

w the exception of the filters all my parts came from the dealership.

Damn, that sucks. If that happens to my 6.0 I'm probably going to throw a Cummins in it instead of building another 6.0.
That's what I've said too but for the price of the parts to swap in a cummins (provided to buy em off destroked or the like) you can get a reman long block from Asheville engine we a 50K warranty.Thats not counting the engine itself or any mods to it.Naturally if you already have the engine youre gonna be money ahead.The complete swap kit for a 12/24 V is a little over 5K.

$5200 ish

How much is a good running 6.0 truck worth?

So all in, how much is this new long block (and all associated parts) setting you back?
Im fixing what I have this time.I think Im gonna be in about 4500 when its all said/done.After doing some research and looking around it seems a stuck inj washing down a cyl is not uncommon for a 6.0 esp the 03/04"s.I tried to do my homework before buying one because I knew they had issues but I missed the stuck inj issue some where.Theres a 05 6 speed dually on MP right now that needs a engine due to a stuck inj and it only has 67K on it.

Glad I could help.

I mean, I AM on my second set of injectors, but after going with a SAC nozzle, it'll be a long time before I need it again. These had horrible luck with factory VCO injectors sticking open and filling the crankcase with fuel, but seem to be hard to kill even with washing the cylinders down. I've dumped plenty of money in it, so you're not alone!

I've also done an injection pump and broke a turbo. All the rest of the stuff I've done were upgrades, performance mods, or fixing what broke after I wrecked it.

Back