Flying out to Charlotte in January - suggestions?

Budd

Will be looking for hotels in the area to stay. Requirements:

Clean.
Cheap.
In room internet access.

I am going to be taking hundreds of pictures and setting them up on my Flickr account for my wife and kids to view. Will probably be out between one and two weeks looking at properties/areas.

Any suggestions?

(shopping for a jacket now):lol:

First, don't bring a 'jacket' bring a coat. :)

Second make sure you post up dates...and get RQ to host something at his place...I'm sure Caver would road trip down to CLT (if I drove and paid for the fuel).

When I had to go to a conference in Florida earlier in the year, I looked through orbitz.com and hotwire.com - you can pretty much put in the city and requirements (internet, price,free breakfast, etc), and most of them have links to their location on mapquest...
But I can't personally recommend any place down there...

Good info so far. thank you.

Galen - definitely want to check out Chapel Hill. I am in touch with RQ and Caver as well. Team Spatulla - you know who this is, right?

We will need to get a BBQ going!

Plan on making the trip up from CLT to Chapel Thrill. Area is a bit on the Liberal side...but they tend to leave the rest of us alone. :)

Just BBQ'd 4 deer shoulders...I got the main ingredient for a BBQ!

I always stay at the Omni. Right in the heart of every thing. Corner room usually $100. Cheaper rooms around $80. Nicer around $200. Nice service, great rooms & views.

I stayed at the Staybridge Suites when I was down there, very nice place.

Location looks nice - was thinking somewhere near Matthews. I'll see how affordable it is. I don't plan on staying in the hotel but for sleeping and showering.

Edit: Cheapest is $119/night. Kinda spendy for just me without wife/kids. I will chekc out the Omni next. Thanks - keep 'em coming if you can.

Flying out on January 7 and staying until the 19th. Buying the tickets today from Delta - $197 round trip.

Found some decent places to stay I *think* for about $60/night. Let me dig up the ones my wife emailed me for you guys to critique.:eek:

Here is one:
Ramada Limited South Charlotte welcomes you to join us. We are easily accessible from I-77 and I-485. Many nearby attractions such as the Charlotte Bobcats Arena, Charlotte Motor Speedway and Bank of America Stadium. Charlotte International Airport is only 6 miles away. Enjoy our Outdoor Seasonal Pool, Complimentary Deluxe Continental Breakfast, and Free Wireless High-speed Internet service. Many of our rooms have microwaves refrigerators and recliners. We also have 2 meeting rooms on site and would be happy to host your meeting or social event. Comfortable suites are also available. Please visit us soon!

What's your itinerary once you land? IOW, what areas are you gonna scope out?

Definitely going to check out Waxhaw and the surrounding areas. Heard Stallings is not so nice - is this true? Matthews and the surrounding areas.

Going to take some time to check out a bunch of areas as well - but we have been somewhat focused in the Charlotte region.

Don't want to limit myself though.

Econo Lodge East
1938 Moore Rd.
Matthews, NC USA 28105 Amenities - Photos - Map Nightly Rates Starting at $59

Here is one my wife said if it were her she would not stay in - lol. But she did offer it up to me.:lol:

Country Inn And Suites By Carlson Charlotte University Place
131 MCCULLOUGH DRIVE
Charlotte, NC USA 28262

This looks pretty nice - still basic though.

Are you set on South Charlotte areas? If not check out some of the out skirts of Huntersville it's booming right now. Good schools, etc.

IMO 485 is the worst place on earth... Drive it around 5:00pm and be sure thats what your looking for..

Also, Lincoln Co. has some good taxes compared to Charlotte, etc. Lincoln County up near Lake Norman is very nice...

Are you set on South Charlotte areas? If not check out some of the out skirts of Huntersville it's booming right now. Good schools, etc.
IMO 485 is the worst place on earth... Drive it around 5:00pm and be sure thats what your looking for..
Also, Lincoln Co. has some good taxes compared to Charlotte, etc. Lincoln County up near Lake Norman is very nice...

Thankyou for the input - I will put that into my schedule. As mentioned prior - we are not "set" on any area yet. Just through some research and friends in the area have been focused around Union County. But - I am coming with an open mind to *any* area.

Thankyou for the input - I will put that into my schedule. As mentioned prior - we are not "set" on any area yet. Just through some research and friends in the area have been focused around Union County. But - I am coming with an open mind to *any* area.

Union County is great... dont get me wrong.. but house prices will reflect that... But, coming for CA I figured you'd be paying CASH....

Union County is great... dont get me wrong.. but house prices will reflect that... But, coming for CA I figured you'd be paying CASH....

No, not paying cash. We are a single family income as my wife home schools our kids. Decided I will be looking a lot at raw land. I have looked into the building moratoreums due to the water shortage - and the well water issue controversy as well. All the new homes we looked at had HOA's - and HOA's suck. Willl also look at "used" homes as well as long as there is no HOA involved. Looking forward to the trip and hopefully meeting up with some of you.:bounce2:

Look into Cleveland County. Lots of open land for sale out in the county. Only two counties west of Charlotte.

Cleveland County may be too far from the city for us. I will look more into it though.

Booked the Best Western for the first 5 nights there in East Charlotte - near Matthews. Read the reviews of the Ramada Limited South Charlotte - and it sounded HORRIBLE. Roaches(both kinds), broken door handles, stained sheets, etc.

Maybe RQ will let me take over the couch for a couple nights.:popcorn:

glad ya found a place!

i was going to mention the holiday inn express right off of i-85, mount holly exit 26. its about 5-10min from the airport and they'll give you good rates if you're staying a while, at least in my experience. i've stayed a couple of times and it has been nice every time.

good luck finding a house!

check out Motown (mooresville {i.e. Race City USA}) nice area if you werent born there like i was....also a booming area.....lots of people from CA and up north moving there......thats why i moved 20 miles east to salisbury....lil on the "cloudy" side for lack of a better term........china grove is nice, kannapolis is getting ready to explode, thats a good area to look.....concord also.......mooresville and surrounding area is about 20-30 min north of charlotte....unless you hit rush hour traffic and there is a wreck....otherwise its straight...ive actually made the trip from mooresville to the airport in about 15-18 minutes...right b4 rush hour, weavin in an out doin bout 120 or so in my buddies old rx7 haha.....it all depends on how you drive.....ive been to cali once and our rush hour doesnt even compare to yalls.....good luck tho!

Back