Flex head wrenches - ratchets

rbo1577186

After I've had these for a few weeks, I don't know how I ever got by without them. Bless who ever came up with this idea.

If anyone has any other little general tricks/tools, post em up I'm interested in hearing some new tricks...

There has been many a time where I wouldn't have gotten by without my foot-and-a-half long lead pipe... :shaking:
Best breaker bar extension there is!

^^^ I typically use the handle from my hydraulic floor jack. I've finally bent the ol' copper one so much I can't slip the ratchet handle in it anymore, haha.

Ricky, do you mean like a MetWrench, w/ the head that pivots so you can change the angle it slips on at? I've been eyeing those for a long time.....

x2 or 3 on the ratcheting head box-end wrenches, a gift from my sister inlaw. Mine don't swivel, but I can imagine that would be a huge imprpovement. When I have room for them they are the ticket.

Another gift tool I never would've bought is an extra-long handled right-angle needlenose pliers. When I got it, I was like "OK, this will sit in the back of the toolbox drawer", but I use the hell out of it.

Ratcheting wrenches are awesome for sure.. One tool that helped me a lot when wiring and such was a pair of those wire strippers that you just clench them together and it strips it perfect with little effort. They have the little divets for different guage wires.

I love my little extending magnet for picking up bolts and screws that fall in hidden places. Also love my phillips head attachment for my ratchet - I run across alot of rusty screws on the ol' Scouts I run across, and a regular screwdriver just doesn't have the leverage.

I love older box end wrenches because they used better materials and casting techniques, which led to thinner walls. Now everything is off center and has these stupid thick walls that would support 500ftlbs if the teeth wouldn't strip off at 20.

One thing better than the standard gearwrench flexhead ratcheting box ends -- the shorty ratcheting box ends.

I don't know what a MetWrench is, didn't see em on the web either(didn't look hard). I'm talking about these,

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?UseCase=C001&UserAction=performMoreDetail&Parameters=TRUE%7C%7EHand+Tools%7C%7ENONE%7C%7EDuralast++++++++++++++++++++++++++++7+Piece+SAE+Flex+Head+Ratcheting+Wrench+Set%7C%7ENONE%7C%7EFALSE%7C%7EFALSE%7C%7E561041%7C%7E196%7C%7E70-017%7C%7ENONE%7C%7E%2479.99%7C%7ENONE%7C%7ENONE%7C%7ENONE%7C%7ENONE%7C%7E1.12%7C%7ENONE%7C%7ES%7C%7EDUR%7C%7Etrue

I got a couple of cheater bars(steel pipe), the magnet tool has saved my ass a few times (like when you drop a mirror mounting screw down the door panel).

The ratcheting wrenchs seem to be short anyway, I'm sure they don't want you putting a ton of leverage on them. Only drawback is the big head, can't get in tight places.

I got a big set of pliers, long needle noses, tapered, angled, mini pliers, all of which come in very handy in certain situations.

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/KNI-8701-10.html
I have a set of these, 3 different sizes, make regular channel locks look silly in comparison.
I have literally used these to hang from a pipe while trying to turn it free, and thye just dug into the pipe and gripped, NO SLIPPAGE ! . ( If you know me, you know that is a feat)
Knipex Tools are the bomb, I also have the cutters and needle nose
As for the Ratcheting wrenches, the "GEARWRENCH" brand seem to be more slim line and sleek, but it also depends on which style you get. I have a full set of the metric ( 8mm-25mm ) and use them daily.
3/8" drive air impact gun, the BOMB ! for regular use, matched with the MAtco mid elngth universal swivel impact sockets, and a few impact extensions, and there isn't much you can't tear down.
awww.matcotools.com_ProductImages_sbdupm106tb.jpg

Yeah, they are expensive, but worth it if you use them everyday, occasionally, you can catch them on special for about half cost.

Ratchet wrenches are great, when the head will fit where you need it.

I also have some other tools that make life easier.
I have a tool that is shaped like a "J" has a hardened hook on one end, and a handle in the middle, and a 90* on the end, so you can hit it with a hammer. Works for a lot of things.

My crimper's to crimp larger cables for making battery cables and so on.

My pry bars in different lengths I got at Sears

My Ready Welder

My porta-band, Floor band saw, Sawzall,

My bolt bends

My peanut butter jars attached to the bottom of the shelves to hold screws and other hardware.

And I also have a designated pipe for the breaker bar.

My thread chaser kit.

Too many to list, but love my tools

I have a few things that I'm pretty happy with.

1) Card catalog that I bought for $40 off of ebay. It has 60 small drawers that hold all kinds of nuts, bolts, screws, washers, etc.
2) Ratchet wrenches.
3) Extending flex head ratchet gives my torque whenever I extend it and speed when I flip the head and use it like a brace.
4) The handle/pipes from my bottle jack work as a perfect cheater bar.
5) Dewalt grinders are my favorite.

If anybody has eye protection that they really like please share it. I just had a close call with a metal shard even though I had on regular safety glasses.

Gear wrenches are the shiznit! There are places where it is the only thing that will work. I've got those flex sockets, too ane they are awesome. I like the pinless flex attachment that Matco sells. It has a higher angle of flex and doesn't bind like the pinned type.

Back