Fitting 5 people into a YJ (seats)

chupacabrah

Hey Guys,

Since my youngest is 7 months old now and will probably be 1yr old by the time I get my heep back on the road, I have been trying to think of ways I can fit everybody in there while I've got everything torn apart. My older two kids keep telling me I need to fix my jeep so they can ride in it... :driver:

Anyway, the best options I can figure are:
1) put a bench seat in the front: like one of these guys here -- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/3-person-rear-seat-1204068/
2) put a wider seat in the rear.

I'm thinking #2 would be the best solution, although I would probably have to cut out/reshape the wheel wells. which is fine--with the full widths my tires should be well outside of the wheel well and probably would not come too far into the body on full stuff (I'm guessing).

Has anyone done this? is an XJ rear seat a good option?
tips or advice?

that ranger bench seat swap looks pretty good, but depends on if you want you're kid in the front seat or not. But making the widest seat you can find in the back would work the best IMO. IF you have a cage you can mount a stock shoulder belt to the middle. Try these http://www.quadratec.com/products/24248_300X_PG.htm. I think i'm going to order some cause my front belts are shot.

What about safari seats/troop seats ( bench seats that fit on top of the wheel wells). They make them that fold up for more cargo room too.

pull behind off road style trailer. (maybe the back half of a wrecked wrangler. put a few steering wheels in it so that they can pretend they're driving... :D

other than your idea #2, that is all I got short of making another kracken.

that ranger bench seat swap looks pretty good, but depends on if you want you're kid in the front seat or not. But making the widest seat you can find in the back would work the best IMO. IF you have a cage you can mount a stock shoulder belt to the middle. Try these http://www.quadratec.com/products/24248_300X_PG.htm. I think i'm going to order some cause my front belts are shot.
good call on the harnesses. I think I am definitely going to start digging around for wider rear seats. XJ seat would work, but there may be something better out there (JK?). Whatever I find for cheap or free is probably what I'll wind up with, though

What about safari seats/troop seats ( bench seats that fit on top of the wheel wells). They make them that fold up for more cargo room too.
I thought about this, but seems like it would be way too high. I'll cut a good portion of the wheel-well out, and maybe still leave it elevated a few inches but at full height it's too tall!

pull behind off road style trailer. (maybe the back half of a wrecked wrangler. put a few steering wheels in it so that they can pretend they're driving... :D
other than your idea #2, that is all I got short of making another kracken.
hahaha :driver:

Ahh, its easy just add another tub:rolleyes:, then ya can fit 6-7 like me. Just kidding. I might would take a plasma to the wheel wells & weld some 14g sheet metal back in so you could fit a good size seat in the rear. That would probably give ya close to an extra foot width wise for rear. Of course I don't know how high your going or wheel travel so the notch in wheel well may pose a problem for ya.

Ahh, its easy just add another tub:rolleyes:, then ya can fit 6-7 like me. Just kidding. I might would take a plasma to the wheel wells & weld some 14g sheet metal back in so you could fit a good size seat in the rear. That would probably give ya close to an extra foot width wise for rear. Of course I don't know how high your going or wheel travel so the notch in wheel well may pose a problem for ya.

haha! yours is sweet, but I definitely don't have the know-how to pull that off.

my wms-wms will be like 67" in the rear, and move my axle back 5-6" from stock location.

I'll have to see if the notch will be an issue, but I think its my best bet

Back