Fishing Folks

broncosbybart

Is it 5 YET?
Soooo, I'm not huge into fishing. Used to be years ago when I was younger. Back then I used to use Rapala's, Jitterbugs, Hula Poppers, and the like, just messing around catching largemouth.

We have been on Badin some and my luck hasn't been so good. Granted, I don't know it very well and we just mess around. What do you guys use for catching fish nowadays and what kind of poles are out there. Just looking at a standard spinning type of setup for panfish, etc. Any good places to find used or inexpensive gear?

Are the fish safe to eat from badin?

Soooo, I'm not huge into fishing. Used to be years ago when I was younger. Back then I used to use Rapala's, Jitterbugs, Hula Poppers, and the like, just messing around catching largemouth.

We have been on Badin some and my luck hasn't been so good. Granted, I don't know it very well and we just mess around. What do you guys use for catching fish nowadays and what kind of poles are out there. Just looking at a standard spinning type of setup for panfish, etc. Any good places to find used or inexpensive gear?
I got a gx2 ugly stick in the ultra light flavor and an abu garicia reel with suffix line at walmart... Under $80 for all.

Hard to beat a greenish rooster tail or a sassy tail at baden.

I like the action of fly fishing for bluegill and bass with popper bugs. The action is most always steady and now and then you get surprised by a larger bass. Most of the time that is all I do. Caught two nice bass and 20+ good bluegill Wednesday.

Catfish is where its at!!! Swim a big bass minnow unweighted on a #5 circle hook about 2' under a big bobber in any of the creek mouths or shallow runs, never know exactly what you will catch but its always entertaining!!

Rubber worms are always a good go to. I like to start by matching the color of the water.

Spinner baits are probably my second choice. Followed by rattle traps and crank baits.

But nothing beats top water action. Hula poppers, jitter bugs. Devils toothpicks. Love when a bass busts the top water.

Fishing eh?
For catifish, one of the best techniques aside from what infamous posted is to use what they call "stink bait". It's a soupy concoction of horribleness smelly bait that you apply to a rubber worm like artificial lure complete with treble hook. Sonny's is good, so is Junnies sewer bait. Use enough weight to sink the bait and you can use this in just about any water you can find. Use a good medium action rod and reel with about #10 lb test minimum. You can catch up to 50 lb cats with this but average size will be from 1-6 lbs.
ai552.photobucket.com_albums_jj335_jrhxj1_IMG_20130602_150409_033_zps7890da7a.jpg
Night time is best for cats
ai552.photobucket.com_albums_jj335_jrhxj1_SU1HMDAwMzctMjAxMTAzMTAtMTkyOS5qcGc.jpg

Brim, bluegill, warmouth, shellcracker etc can be really fun and easy to catch. They spawn or "bed" about this time of year and can be caught with ease during their spawn usually in 2-5' of water. They bite very well from March to November in every body of water in around the southeast and prefer the shallower water with structure. If you can see them swimming in the water, you can catch them. Live bait like worms or crickets works best. When the weathers warm I use a beetle spin lure with a light action rod with great success. Catching a days limit in a few hours is usually no sweat.
ai552.photobucket.com_albums_jj335_jrhxj1_SU1HMDAwMTMtMjAxMTA3MjktMDYzNi5qcGc.jpg
Never been much of a bass fisherman though. I'll catch them accidently while brim fishing more than on purpose. White perch and Crappie are about as easy to catch as brim are most places.

Last edited:
I'm a catch and release guy. You won't see me eat anything out of these waters.

Thanks for all the feedback. I never had much luck with deep diving crank baits or spinners. Always seemed to either lose them or never catch anything.

It sounds like a lot of the methods are still the same. I can bobber fish with the best of em. It would be fun to catch some catfish, but on a minnow? We used to use stink bait for them and carp.

I'm not sure what a brim, warm mouth, or shell cracker are. Are they similar to a bluegill? We called fish of the bluegill variety sunnies. Only caught a few perch. They were rare. Crappies were somewhat common, though I always thought of them almost like a sunny that ate minnows.

Last edited:
Best bait for catfish is cut or whole brim. Just depends on how big or how much bait you have to spare. Catfish seem to like fish caught out of the same water rather than chicken livers or other odd methods. Even though chicken livers do work.

I personally love rooster tails and they are my go to start out bait. Also like to use plastic worms, darker the water the darker the worm. Same goes for the time of day. For later times in the day in the shade try to use dark colors. In good clear water with lots of sun is when I bring out the bling worms.

Plan a three day weekend and link up with me and I'll show ya around Santee cooper system. Offer open to anyone reading this. Cats up to 80 lbs is commonly caught there and the best camping anywhere.

As for places to find use or inexpensive gear, I normally find used gear on craiglists or some facebook groups but often you don't find what you are looking for. If you are a baller on a budget, Academy Sports in Concord Mills is pretty good with selection and price. I like to think of it as the Walmart of Bass Pro Shops.

Back