First XJ build

upload_2019-1-28_7-51-52.jpeg

upload_2019-1-28_7-49-3.jpeg
Big thanks to @ChrisM and his help with the XJ this past weekend

The rear leaf spring bolts were seized > 3 out of 4 ended up getting plasma’d out and welded a new nut back in.

It had Dakota rear springs. These are XJ springs with a shackle and full length AAL.

Up front is 4.5” coils with 1” isolator spacer, new LCAs.

We got the lift on, then I sunk the front end into a ditch about 15 minutes later. It was dark

Hoping to get the gears & lockers done over the next week. Currently saving for bigger tarrs, will run the weenie MTs until then <driftcar>

Well I have 4.88 gears for it, it’s an automatic...

I was looking at 35s but after getting the lift on and realizing I can nearly stuff a 29” tire into the trimmed wheel well, unless I bump stop everything prematurely, I think a 33x10.50 will be the most usable tire size I can run on these wheels. I will still retain good gearing and potentially not blow shafts as often too. It will be locked F/R.

upload_2019-2-17_20-24-12.jpeg

Thanks to @ChrisM - 4.88 gears, rear Spartan, front Lock-rite, new diff covers, ZJ tie rod, new brakes, bearings, seals and 33x10.50r15 Maxxis razrs now on and driving great

upload_2019-2-26_17-22-17.jpeg

upload_2019-2-26_17-21-14.jpeg
Here’s some tech. Cram some tennis balls inside your coil springs if you have no bump stops and are looking for that “progressive” feel

Went to Richlands this past weekend and had a great time except for the distributor cap being a little fouled.

Took my swaybar off when I got home. They’re overrated. Crammed some tennis balls in the coils as cheapo bump stops. All in the name of a good time

Looking to run Old House Gap soon

Interesting take on the tennis balls. When i swapped the coils i put new bump stops in but it was midnight and I didnt want to drill and install the hockey pucks. I now will run tennis balls!

I ran without a sway bar for a week or so, the body roll irritated me.

^Exactly. It's what people did before Prothane was around.

upload_2019-3-11_8-16-49.jpeg

On Edgemont road yesterday before heading into Old House. XJ did great! The build has been a game changer for how it does. Geared, locked, flexes well enough, aggressive tires, some protection, etc... very happy with having something to go toot around in again.

Went to Richlands this past weekend and had a great time except for the distributor cap being a little fouled.

Took my swaybar off when I got home. They’re overrated. Crammed some tennis balls in the coils as cheapo bump stops. All in the name of a good time

Looking to run Old House Gap soon
I was going to take daughter up richland rd in December an bunch of people said you can’t do it now. Said they put up an gate an was calling cops. Sounds little far fetched to me. But I just haven’t been up there cause I don’t need no drama or trouble with kids being with me.

upload_2019-6-14_22-30-35.jpeg

Started the process of vacuuming out the nasty carpet and swapping in some 2000 Cherokee seats I found locally for $40. Probably gonna put some neoprene covers on these, but all the foam is intact so a good start. A new windshield is on the docket as well

upload_2019-6-14_22-29-24.jpeg

Did some painting and glossing last weekend...

View attachment 295910

Started the process of vacuuming out the nasty carpet and swapping in some 2000 Cherokee seats I found locally for $40. Probably gonna put some neoprene covers on these, but all the foam is intact so a good start. A new windshield is on the docket as well

View attachment 295909

Did some painting and glossing last weekend...

Looks good man. I am suprised I haven't seen your jeep around town yet.....

The jeep normally pulls kayak duty on the weekends in Todd, or posted up at Green Valley/ Todd Island. Otherwise I’m driving one of my electrical rigs (Tacoma or Tundra) if I go to Boone. It might be out Watauga Lake tomorrow!

upload_2019-6-20_10-50-26.jpeg

upload_2019-6-20_10-48-58.jpeg

Welded a factory H2 tire carrier to the bumper out of @ChrisM scrap pile. Next is to make the 8 lug part a 5 lug by using a Ruffstuff multi-pattern bumper fab plate. Used Ruffstuff shop kit tabs for the “double shear” portion.

These tire carriers are meant to hold a ~35” tire from the factory so should be plenty sturdy for the application

upload_2019-6-20_18-59-43.jpeg
upload_2019-6-20_19-0-36.jpeg

upload_2019-6-20_19-1-28.jpeg

Also finally got the front bumper cut and the ends plated + welded. Not quite so school bus-ish in the front anymore

upload_2019-8-19_17-45-25.jpeg
upload_2019-8-19_17-44-23.jpeg

1.5-2 hours. Something in that range.

Back