First trip to uwharrie. Success!

D78BC47A-620A-467F-A0A5-63726155CD2A.jpeg We took a buddy’s truck. Seen the part around the guard rail an a Toyota going up it. Didn’t pay attention if it was a trail you could use or not. We was in a trail whale.

It's not a bypass. It's an illegally cut trail. Guard rail gets put up and idiots take it down.
I figured it was illegal, it needs a guard rail or log dropped in the way so people know. Saw a lot of people using it like a parking lot to watch people come up the trail..

They just need to “police the area” in full force for about 3 months, handing out tickets left and right, searching coolers and all, and raise the fee to ride to $25/day and the season pass be $100-$200. That alone would deter a lot of the undesirables.
Most of us pay a lot more to ride anywhere else, and if you know what it takes to maintain a park then you don’t gripe about the fees.

Last edited:
I need to get back up there.... I love the place since it was one of the first places I wheeled but unfortunately we all know as the shit gets out of control the rules get tougher and places close.

They just need to “police the area” in full force for about 3 months, handing out tickets left and right, searching coolers and all, and raise the fee to ride to $25/day and the season pass be $100-$200. That alone would deter a lot of the undesirables.
Most of us pay a lot more to ride anywhere else, and if you know what it takes to maintain a park then you don’t gripe about the fees.

I agree, definitely need to raise the rates so the rif raf say "f-that". Also more rangers out there mean more fines means more revenue... seems like the gubment would have already done both of these

Am I the only one that thinks it's public land so it should be ours to decide what to do with and not some government agency?
I see some of the same people griping about too much government and too much taxes and all then get on here and want higher rates more forest service policing and more restrictions.

I just don't understand I guess, I think they should be there for any general guidelines for general safety of people but shutting down trails and making it hard to open a new trail because they "feel" like it is total BS.

It also wouldn't cost as much to run a park if the government didn't have so many stupid regulations to operate one legally.

There that's my too much government rant for the day.

It also wouldn't cost as much to run a park if the government didn't have so many stupid regulations to operate one legally.

There that's my too much government rant for the day.

Completely agree on too much government. However have you been there lately? People have no respect for public property. They camp anywhere they want, drive anywhere they want, leave burn pits full of beer cans when they are done. This does not happen on private property because they get kicked out and cannot come back. If the trash ass people that tore it up could be tared and feathered by the good people there, we would not have a problem, since that is not going to happen someone has to protect the land and instead of dealing with the issues it is easier to just close it to everyone. Preaching to the choir here but it is the truth.

Last edited:
Completely agree on too much government. However have you been there lately? People have no respect for public property. They camp anywhere they want, drive anywhere they want, leave burn pits full of beer cans when they are done. This does not happen on private property because they get kicked out and cannot come back. If the trash ass people that tore it up could be tared and feathered by the good people there, we would not have a problem, since that is not going to happen someone has to protect the land and instead of dealing with the issues it is easier to just close it to everyone. Preaching to the choir here but it is the truth.
I dont see an issue with driving or camping anywhere they want. Its an offroad vehicle section of the forest and we should be allowed to go anywhere we want in that section. I'm fine with having areas designated for OHV one for Horses one for pristine natural hiking and camping etc... but the OHV area should be able to be used to drive anywhere in that section. Now trash and burn pits and all that you are going to have on public or private land it doesn't matter, people are stupid and disrespectful everywhere even when they pay to go somewhere. The land doesn't need protecting it will bounce back from far worse than what we can do. A Tornado or Hurricane can rip up whole areas of trees and change the shape of the coastline. Huge rainstorms make mudslides that wash out part of a mountainside. A Volcano explodes destroying everything in a 20 mile radius (Mt St Helens) and all this stuff has been going on for thousands of years and all of a sudden we think our 500 acre or whatever size property that we impose erosion control measures and water crossing restrictions on is going to actually make a difference. It's BS and the only reason it is done is because it makes the Government money and they can control the people.

I'm not sure if the trails are just OHV use, I think they are multi-use.

I'm not against putting tax dollars to work to maintain and police the trails/public lands, especially where we are not the only users. However, I am against them making decisions about public land without the best interests of all the stakeholders (forest service AND users/owners), and making those decisions based on ideas instead of facts (see the Kodak Rock trail segment permanent closure report for a good example).

I dont see an issue with driving or camping anywhere they want. Its an offroad vehicle section of the forest and we should be allowed to go anywhere we want in that section. I'm fine with having areas designated for OHV one for Horses one for pristine natural hiking and camping etc... but the OHV area should be able to be used to drive anywhere in that section. Now trash and burn pits and all that you are going to have on public or private land it doesn't matter, people are stupid and disrespectful everywhere even when they pay to go somewhere. The land doesn't need protecting it will bounce back from far worse than what we can do. A Tornado or Hurricane can rip up whole areas of trees and change the shape of the coastline. Huge rainstorms make mudslides that wash out part of a mountainside. A Volcano explodes destroying everything in a 20 mile radius (Mt St Helens) and all this stuff has been going on for thousands of years and all of a sudden we think our 500 acre or whatever size property that we impose erosion control measures and water crossing restrictions on is going to actually make a difference. It's BS and the only reason it is done is because it makes the Government money and they can control the people.

I completely agree with this, and have posted similar things in years past. Uwharrie National Forest is 50,645 acres. Why in the hell is it such a big deal when an 8' wide by 100' long bypass trail is cut on the Dickey Bell hill climb. Better close that shit down, or the planet is going to die :shaking:.

Why have lanes anywhere?
Why not litter everywhere?
Why have any rules at all?

Let everyone just do what ever they want whenever they want. The thoughts, wants, needs, concerns, ideas, plans, feelings of everyone else be damned.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Why have lanes anywhere?
Why not litter everywhere?
Why have any rules at all?

Let everyone just do what ever they want whenever they want. The thoughts, wants, needs, concerns, ideas, plans, feelings of everyone else be damned.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Finally someone that gets it. :usa:

I completely agree with this, and have posted similar things in years past. Uwharrie National Forest is 50,645 acres. Why in the hell is it such a big deal when an 8' wide by 100' long bypass trail is cut on the Dickey Bell hill climb. Better close that shit down, or the planet is going to die :shaking:.
Somewhere in one of these Uwharrie bitchfests I figured up what percentage of the the Forest we were actually permitted to drive on. It was embarrassingly small. And the bad areas are probably 1-2% of the allowed area. That's why the big dogs dont bother with Uwharrie because it's mostly riding around.

Somewhere in one of these Uwharrie bitchfests I figured up what percentage of the the Forest we were actually permitted to drive on. It was embarrassingly small. And the bad areas are probably 1-2% of the allowed area. That's why the big dogs dont bother with Uwharrie because it's mostly riding around.

So we get only 1-2% OF the 2% for our use...

There is a similar trail up in the mountains that isn't even a legit trail called huricane creek. I call it hurricake creek because it isn't hard. The majority of uwharrie is the same. They should cut some new trails with easier trails next to them for people to view the carnage and they could make a LOT more money. All you need to do is pass a section over to a business man and you could turn it into something even better.

I will say it was hyped up to be a lot more hardcore than im used to. I’d have no problem paying if there was actual hardcore shit. I came from Vegas and there is crazy rock crawling every minutes from my house for free. All
Blm land and no one enforces anything. Trails get cut and when they get crazy someone makes a bypass. There’s almost no trash also. I had zero problems at uwharrie in a relitivly stock jk. (Small lift and 35’s). Open diffs loaded with car seats and kids. Only thing we didn’t do was the front of Daniel because the kids were getting pissed. Sorry he question is where can I find some hardcore shit within a days drive?

I will say it was hyped up to be a lot more hardcore than im used to. I’d have no problem paying if there was actual hardcore shit. I came from Vegas and there is crazy rock crawling every minutes from my house for free. All
Blm land and no one enforces anything. Trails get cut and when they get crazy someone makes a bypass. There’s almost no trash also. I had zero problems at uwharrie in a relitivly stock jk. (Small lift and 35’s). Open diffs loaded with car seats and kids. Only thing we didn’t do was the front of Daniel because the kids were getting pissed. Sorry he question is where can I find some hardcore shit within a days drive?
Windrock, AOP, Gulches just to name a few

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Harlan, Choccolocco and the Flats to add to the list.

Flats is a private park right? Any of the others private?
AOP and Gulches are. Windrock and Harlan are on public land with some kind of agreement with a company that runs the park side of things.

Someone correct if that is wrong.

Harlan the land is owned by a coal company and Harland County leases the land from them and keeps up the park.

Back