First trip to uwharrie. Success!

Took the wife and kids out Sunday and had a blast. Haven’t wheeled this rig before and we are from the west coast so this was our first wheeling trip out here also. I’m used to desert and rocks so having some nice scenery was awesome. Definitely making more trips out this summer.
78683AC0-D690-41C5-B487-2C9CC59E2FB7.jpeg
E640910D-A44E-4DF9-972B-0914DA560F2C.jpeg
1444499E-E2B8-43AB-85E5-C6D8E215218C.jpeg
17FE635A-6438-4BB2-ADB6-0E837E22032C.jpeg
D8AB2E42-C0E3-48E2-B3D8-1E01EC840FAA.jpeg

It was pretty tame surprisingly. Not really that crowded even. Had a couple of traffic jams Saturday but overall was pretty easy going. Sat at top of Daniel for a while and no real carnage. A friend got close to going over backwards and got the crowds excited for a few minutes. I ran up it once in the WJ, the new hydro assist is really great.

Also my first time out there, not sure about the whole bi-directional trail thing but other than that it was nice. Too narrow for my truck really but we did all the obstacles we could.

Also my first time out there, not sure about the whole bi-directional trail thing but other than that it was nice. Too narrow for my truck really but we did all the obstacles we could.

Yeah some of the trails could be made one way. Daniel would be the exception in my.opinion. would ease the congestion on busy days.

So see anything crazy?
Not in person but I saw a couple flops on Instagram. Tried to take it easy. Haven’t wheeled this rig before and wasn’t sure what it would do. Next time I’ll have to check out the front of Daniel. Made it up the back pretty easy.

Yeah some of the trails could be made one way. Daniel would be the exception in my.opinion. would ease the congestion on busy days.
We went Sunday and it wasn’t bad. I don’t know who decides when and where to cut new trails but I saw a good amount of possibilities.

We went Sunday and it wasn’t bad. I don’t know who decides when and where to cut new trails but I saw a good amount of possibilities.
It's usually the ATV crowd:popcorn:

Anyone notice that there are people taking the bypass on the far left on dickey bell hill climb? I thought it was guard railed off?

Last edited:
I dont know why everyone bails off the main trail of dickiebell. I made it up the hardest line with a rear locker and 31s and even then didnt have to try too hard. Only saw 2 of the probably 20 people that went up it take that line in the time I was there. Lots of people going down it though.

Anyone notice that there are people taking the bypass on the far left on dickey bell hill climb? I thought it was guard railed off?
Now there is a path on the other side of the guard rail lol. Some of those holes on the main path did get pretty big.

Attachments

• 0330191746.jpg
    0330191746.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 411
  • 0330191747b.jpg
    0330191747b.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 421

No one but the forest service can cut new trails. New trails will get us more ugly ass guard rails, something the atv crowd does not get or does not care about.

I saw that the rail was gone in some pictures.....

No one but the forest service can cut new trails. New trails will get us more ugly ass guard rails, something the atv crowd does not get or does not care about.

This. Remember this if you want to continue to wheel there.

It's not a bypass. It's an illegally cut trail. Guard rail gets put up and idiots take it down.

I saw that the rail was gone in some pictures.....

This. Remember this if you want to continue to wheel there.

People don’t care. I saw a guy just driving up the side of the mountain. 30 feet off the trail. Eventually the whole place will get shut down if they keep that up.

People don’t care. I saw a guy just driving up the side of the mountain. 30 feet off the trail. Eventually the whole place will get shut down if they keep that up.

Did you say anything to him? Only way to try and stop it is to try and educate people.

Most people don't care about much or care if we have nice things. Parking in fire/no parking lanes, littering at crowded stop lights, parking across lines, dumping trash in woods, texting and driving, parking in their front yard, electing high tax politicians for the fake promise of more free stuff, just generally perpetuating the tragedy of the mouth breathing commons.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

It's not a bypass. It's an illegally cut trail. Guard rail gets put up and idiots take it down.

After guard rail gets put up, volunteers need to distort/disturb the thread on the fasteners so people can’t easily unbolt them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After guard rail gets put up, volunteers need to distort/disturb the thread on the fasteners so people can’t easily unbolt them.

That is actually a good idea

They have been seen pulling it down. Having been out there in the past helping put it up I can promise you we do all we can to keep it there.

They have been seen pulling it down. Having been out there in the past helping put it up I can promise you we do all we can to keep it there.

Rangers need to do more to police the area. It is posted no alcohol on the trails but there is plenty to be had, maybe if the rangers would shut some of the crap down there would be less damage and shenanigans.

Pulling it down with jeeps/ATVs? I’d like to see evidence of that. The guard rail posts are usually 3’-4’ deep. I’d find it more likely they are undoing the bolts at one post and dropping/bending the guard far enough to get around.

Sounds like we need a diesel welder out there now...

Pulling it down with jeeps/ATVs? I’d like to see evidence of that. The guard rail posts are usually 3’-4’ deep. I’d find it more likely they are undoing the bolts at one post and dropping/bending the guard far enough to get around.

Sounds like we need a diesel welder out there now...

Those post are not quite as long as you think. IIRC they are about 4' - 5' long and we sink them down about 2' depending on how far we can get them in. It's hard work even with a gas auger. You need to come to a work day..... Hell I need to go to one.

Those post are not quite as long as you think. IIRC they are about 4' - 5' long and we sink them down about 2' depending on how far we can get them in. It's hard work even with a gas auger. You need to come to a work day..... Hell I need to go to one.

In HS I was out there with the auger team. I remember very well. It really is a shame. As if surplus guard rail isn’t already a clear indication its purpose is permanent.

It’s been probably 5 years. Hopefully I can get back for a workday soon!

Back