Fellow offoader Hurt.

Discussion in 'General Chit Chat' started by Mac5005, Jul 31, 2020 at 10:15 AM.

1. Mac5005

Mac5005 Welding Instructor

Wasn’t sure to post this, or where to put it. I’m having a hard time coming up with what/how to say it, so I’ll just dive in.

A friend and off-roader, Jeff Davidson from Charlottesville rolled his rig last Thursday night @ AOP.

During the roll, a fire broke out, and both Jeff and his rig were burned badly.

Jeff was airlifted for his burn treatment.

He was in ICU, but now was able to walk to this ICU step down unit.

He still has a very long road ahead of him.

Several of us on here have wheeled with him, and know him, and a couple others from our group who don’t forum, are working to gather parts to rebuild a buggy for him.

Here is a link to his gofundme page setup by his passenger, and his wife to aid in his rehabilitation. There are also more details there.

Donate to Jeff Davison’s Rehabilitation organized by Michael Miller

I’m not asking anyone to donate, but if you feel inclined, it is much appreciated. If you can’t or don’t wish to donate, please take the time to share the link, and pause for a moment and pray for Jeff, his wife Morgan, and their family.

We all know the risk of this lifestyle, and we all know the possible consequences. I get choked up at thinking about what has happened, and the outpouring of support from others in our lifestyle and brotherhood.

I’m just asking for prayers and donations if possible for this young family.

Jeff is a great guy and I can’t wait to get back on the trails with him.

cufor98, jeepin' jen, doc and 6 others like this.
  2. ghost

ghost Well-Known Member

Wow that thing is burnt up. Was the fire ATF related or fuel related? Hope he recovers well.

3. shawn

shawn running dog lackey of the oppressor class Administrator

It says fuel leak on the gofundme description

@Mac5005 thanks for posting

4. ghost

ghost Well-Known Member

Wow that is terrible. Didn't see that when I was reading it.

5. cranbiz

cranbiz Well-Known Member

That really sucks. I hope he recovers well.

This is exactly the reason that my fire extinguisher is mounted at the front of my seat. It's a PITA location for driving but it's within reach if I'm strapped in and need it. When I flopped mine, my extinguisher was mounted to the rear sport bar. Being on my side made me realize that it was in a shitty place should I ever need it in a hurry.

Jason W., Tim C, jeepinmatt and 2 others like this.
  6. cufor98

cufor98 Well-Known Member

Noted. I may move mine if I can.

Tim C and rcalexander105 like this.
  7. Mac5005

It definitely got our groups awareness up as several are ordering dedicated suppression systems.

The relatively cheap $500-$1000 for dedicated suppression system isn’t a huge investment compared to other part costs, with huge potential for returns.

Ken has it on the race jeep with the idea, that it gives us time to get out, and use the extinguishers. It’s a huge peace of mind knowing it’s there and ready to go, at the pull of one pin/handle.

I was surprised to see Loren Healy video from aop fire and either not use/not have dedicated suppression system.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020 at 2:16 PM
    jeepinmatt likes this.
  8. shawn

Thinking back to the "drive it like a rental" fire at the ECORS race, they had a fuel rail crack at the fitting. If I remember correctly, they were able to get out with only minor injuries, but talked about the extinguishers really didn't do anything for the fire. I've seen demonstrations of common portable extinguishers against gas fires that back this up as well. That fire went up quick and hot, and they were lucky to get out as quickly as they did.

Another good thing is to make sure you have harness cutters within easy reach of the driver/passenger/bystanders. You can zip tie them to the cage pretty easily, and they only cost a few bucks a piece.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020 at 2:13 PM
  9. McCracken

McCracken Logan Can't See This

I was just watching the Busted Knuckle Tech Tuesday video they posted on the new pirate board. It addresses this very thing along with other fluids. It sucks this happened. It's made me rethink how I need to route my vent lines.

10. Ron

Ron Dum Spiro Spero Moderator

+1...
    plus good idea to have a master electrical disconnect in easy reach.
    In that case they put the fire out initially...but the fuel pump wouldnt shut off and continued to spray fuel onto flash point hot surfaces and reignited....
    Anyone, even a dedicated suprression system will run out of foam before you run out of 20 gallons of fuel...

11. ghost

ghost Well-Known Member

We had a fire in Harlan last year or the year before. It was fuel and took 5 extinguishers to get it out. I have one by me and one on the cage that people can grad easily.

12. shawn

Also, I donated... Will likely send some more once I see how much NC4x4 can contribute.

13. awheelterd

awheelterd Well-Known Member

Anyone that is looking for good extinguisher's hit up @LBZ_Duramax he is the fire extinguisher man. He does all my extinguisher's at work and got me hooked up with a guy who put in a big ass C02 system for me.

LBZ_Duramax, tlucier and drkelly like this.
  14. Mac5005

From Jeff today:

[​IMG]

Again I thank everyone for their donations, sharing his story, and for the prayers. All of which mean the world.

15. rockcity

rockcity everyday is a chance to get better

Is there a parts list of things that will be needed? I know I have a ton of leftover parts from my buggy I just never got around to using or selling. Maybe some of it will be useful.

16. Mac5005

Not officially yet. His buggy should be at Bobby’s this weekend, and Bobby is going to assess so we can get a direction.

Big thing at moment is whether the rear axle got cooked or not. If the axles are good we are going to stick with rocks, if the rear is bad we are going to tons.

Already spoke with several vendors, Barnes, goforth, safecraft, ecgs and several others are all on board.

Several of us are cleaning out our leftover stuff to donate as well.

I’ll try to get a list of needed stuff updated here as soon as it exists.

Thanks.

17. BigSouth

BigSouth Doesn't play well with others!

drkelly likes this.
  18. DSM Turbos

DSM Turbos Well-Known Member

Go fund me talks about a passenger also hurt. What kind of condition are they in? Is there similar for them?

19. Mac5005

Only minor burns/injuries. Nothing compared to Jeff is what I was told.

DSM Turbos likes this.
  20. ghost

ghost Well-Known Member

Go Fund me doesn't pay unless goal is meet? I donated. I don't see a time limit. Anyone have any experiences with this?

21. paradisePWoffrd

paradisePWoffrd Recovering Project Junkie

The gofundme said fuel spray. Vent routing is good, but won't help if a cracked fuel rail/line/fitting is the cause.

In alot of racing sanctions they require an oil pressure switch in the fuel pump wiring. That way if the car rolls and oil pressure drops, it'll kill the fuel pump.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

22. Mac5005

T-Shirt wegotyoursixjeff | Etsy

A portion of the proceeds on shirt sales are going to Jeff’s fund. Shirts are not for profit, but I don’t know specifics of shirt cost vs donation amount.

Rear axle was gone.

Current plan is turbo 6.0, 350,atlas, tons, 43s, working on details and should have more info this week after speaking with more vendors.

Current plan is to unveil at AOP a year from now, and have his old/new buggy there with a big benefit ride/show. May also coincide with u4 race next year depending on next year u4 schedule.

ghost and ncsutj like this.
  23. Mac5005

Scott MacIntyre

Video of Jeff’s rig arriving at Bobby’s yesterday.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 5:20 PM
    jeepinmatt likes this.
  24. LBZ_Duramax

LBZ_Duramax Well-Known Member

@Mac5005 If you give me an address I will donate 2 New ABC Extinguishers with quick release cage brackets in addition to my donation to the gofundme.

R Q, jeepinmatt and Mac5005 like this.
  25. Mac5005

Pm incoming. Thanks so much.