Votes: 22 34.9%
  • Napa

Votes: 16 25.4%
  • Car Quest

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • Rock Auto

Votes: 18 28.6%

• Total voters
I'll go ahead and say it (again)...I hate going in to auto parts stores worse than going to the DMV. But if I have to, I'll call O'Reilly's ahead with the part number I want, tell them to put their hands on it...if they can, I'll be there in 10 minutes. And that's only if I need a part right then and there and can't wait for something to ship in 3-4 days.

My local store is an Advance that is just a rebranded Carquest. Same old school crew from the CQ days. Super knowledgeable team who know how to use a book, not just a screen.
They also have an in house machine shop which comes in handy.
I usually pick O'Reily over AZ given the opportunity.

I love seeing that no one else likes autozone, I thought it was just me!

They are the closest to me, easiest to get to, and open until midnight and for my own sanity, I still won't go back there,it is equally the customers as the customer service.

I actually got curious enough and googled it, Carquest website says there are still two Carquest labeled stores in Raleigh, one on New Bern Ave and one over near the airport. Haven't been down New Bern Ave in a while though so don't know if that's still accurate.

Duane

It's not there anymore

Advance if its a price hunt (fuel/oil/air filters and misc BS) because eof the online coupons.

Napa if I actually need help or need to fit an oddball part or match a belt of find that "custom" radiator hose for a TJ with a Novak v8 radiator, or get anything for the tractors, etc. They also make hydraulic hoses, and its 3 women behind the counter in Stanley and they know their stuff. Plus they will usually run it on some big discount commercial account if i wink at em just right.
This. Napa has the guys that actually know WTF they are doing.

But, if it 's something I suspect I may need a warranty for (battery, exhaust part, brake calipers, etc) I go to Autozone.
Reason being that AZ actually have nationalized their database. you can return a part to any store anywhere and they have the record, as you as you have the phone number.
Advance however is all local-only info. So you have to go back to the same store.
And, online purchases are separate too.

... learned this the hard way when I moved up here to MD from NC.

Also - worth Adding Amazon to the list.
I've found often you can get the same parts as from Rockauto, faster and cheaper. And no core.
But it's hit and miss, sometimes the price is more than RA.

Basically I use RA to look up the options for part #s for different mfrs. Then either google that or go right to Amazon. It seems if I need 3+ parts, its cheaper in total to get all through Rockauto. But if only 1-2, its a crapshoot.

I think what bothers me than no CQ around anymore, is the LOOP RD AUTO PARTS is gone. Those guys were awesome. Pretty well stocked, especially foreign make car parts. And usually had the tool or tap to get you out of a jam. And they were gear heads on the counter that knew and understood why you’d have corvettejeepmustangdoge parts on that same vehicle.

Yeah I saw where they got bought by some chain I've never heard of. I didn't use them a lot, but every time I did they were top notch.

That literally made me snort. Reminds me of the few times I go to get something for my Jeep.

"Hey, I need a kuhnooder valve and some muffler bearings for a small block chevy 400."

"uh, what's the year, make and model dude..."

*scratches head* "how bout '76 Monte Carlo?"

"....uh.....is that a Ford?"

*shakes head* "I said small block CHEVY"

"oh, right...huh huh....yeah, I gotcha. dude, you've got a Monte Carlo?"

"no"

"but you said..."

"I know."

"I don't get it....huh huh is it like in a Camaro or something?"

"no, it's 'like' in a Jeep"

*duder's mind starts imploding*

"uh....what's the year make and model of the Jeep?"

"you won't find it"

"I'm sure I will, bruh. I'm good with cars"

"ok, '84 CJ7"

"what engine?"

"I already said... small block 400"

"uh....is that the 4.2 or the 5.0?"

"6.6"

"uh.....well, it says here..."

"is there someone else that works here? that might know the difference between an exhaust elbow and a spark plug?"

I understand your point, but gear heads that have thousands of part numbers and applications memorized don't work at parts store anymore, and most systems now can only look up parts in limited ways like make/model or part number. *I* wouldn't know what year and model to look up a Chevy 400 because I'm not a Chevy guy, and while I would make an educated guess, sometimes it's easier on yourself to make it easier for them.

Duane

I love seeing that no one else likes autozone, I thought it was just me!

They are the closest to me, easiest to get to, and open until midnight and for my own sanity, I still won't go back there,it is equally the customers as the customer service.

I used to hit them up as an absolute last resort. We went on the power tour last year, Dad's c10s power steering pump died in Bristol. Only place in town with a pump was AZ, we drove across town in my car, bought a pump, a drain pan, fluid, rags, torx bits since his pump was held on with them and I didn't pack any, and a pulley puller even though I have 3, they were in Fayetteville (work, home garage and tool kit for trail rig after a shitty Harlan trip). The pulley tool was so crappy I had to shim it with electric tape and a rag to get it to work the ring was so loose, and the threads galled but I did get the pulley off.

When we got home a week later I went to the AZ near my work, who's commercial guys had been begging for us to call on a regular basis. I asked if I could return the puller and get my money back since it broke and I already had 3. They said no, tools can only be returned to original store, I guess like a rental deal. I explained it was useless broken junk and showed the stripped threads. No deal. I asked if I could at least swap for another so it could be used as a backup then. Sure he said just go to the original store. I flipped out. Said I refuse to drive 5 f'n hours one f'n way to return a g.d. $17 tool. I told my boss and he sent the commercial rep packing the next time they showed up with promotional flyers. So they lost a good commercial account over it too. Screw that place, like someone said above, if AZ is the only place in town bwith the part it just won't get fixed today.

I used to hit them up as an absolute last resort. We went on the power tour last year, Dad's c10s power steering pump died in Bristol. Only place in town with a pump was AZ, we drove across town in my car, bought a pump, a drain pan, fluid, rags, torx bits since his pump was held on with them and I didn't pack any, and a pulley puller even though I have 3, they were in Fayetteville (work, home garage and tool kit for trail rig after a shitty Harlan trip). The pulley tool was so crappy I had to shim it with electric tape and a rag to get it to work the ring was so loose, and the threads galled but I did get the pulley off.

When we got home a week later I went to the AZ near my work, who's commercial guys had been begging for us to call on a regular basis. I asked if I could return the puller and get my money back since it broke and I already had 3. They said no, tools can only be returned to original store, I guess like a rental deal. I explained it was useless broken junk and showed the stripped threads. No deal. I asked if I could at least swap for another so it could be used as a backup then. Sure he said just go to the original store. I flipped out. Said I refuse to drive 5 f'n hours one f'n way to return a g.d. $17 tool. I told my boss and he sent the commercial rep packing the next time they showed up with promotional flyers. So they lost a good commercial account over it too. Screw that place, like someone said above, if AZ is the only place in town bwith the part it just won't get fixed today.
So I do have to say this much.
Years ago when I was packing the house to move, I discovered I had a slide hammer kit I'd gotten at AZ as a "loaner" (but of course you just buy the tool). I'd stuck the receipt in the case... it had been 3.5 years.
I took it back to the store, and they actually gave me a refund on it. I was quite shocked.
Now... that was a decade ago... and probably the same store. So today YMMV.

Yeah I saw where they got bought by some chain I've never heard of. I didn't use them a lot, but every time I did they were top notch.
Duane

yeah, they got bought out, the company the bought them didn't understand the service and market they held over the average parts store, DUMPED all the alleged obsolete stock, covered very little over 15yrs old and not main stream

They are now out of business.

LOOP served not only automotive but a lot of commercial and industrial needs that normal parts stores do not have to capacity or willingness to. You would be hard pressed to find any parts counter person who knew of PRESTOLITE let alone knew how to source the parts for the various ignition systems they covered, LOOP was dead nuts on all the time, they may not have had it in stock, but knew what it was and how to get it.

So I do have to say this much.
Years ago when I was packing the house to move, I discovered I had a slide hammer kit I'd gotten at AZ as a "loaner" (but of course you just buy the tool). I'd stuck the receipt in the case... it had been 3.5 years.
I took it back to the store, and they actually gave me a refund on it. I was quite shocked.
Now... that was a decade ago... and probably the same store. So today YMMV.

Now after 90 days at AZ you own it. Now if you bitch enough they can return it. My only gripe with Oriellys is their loaner program is for 48 hours, for some stuff that's fine but not all projects go off without a hitch.

Now after 90 days at AZ you own it. Now if you bitch enough they can return it. My only gripe with Oriellys is their loaner program is for 48 hours, for some stuff that's fine but not all projects go off without a hitch.
No shit.
I need Sat to do the job.
Then Sun to go back and do it again b/c I forgot that 1 critical bolt.
Then Mon morning to get over the hangover, then go return the thing after work.

yeah, they got bought out, the company the bought them didn't understand the service and market they held over the average parts store, DUMPED all the alleged obsolete stock, covered very little over 15yrs old and not main stream

They are now out of business.

LOOP served not only automotive but a lot of commercial and industrial needs that normal parts stores do not have to capacity or willingness to. You would be hard pressed to find any parts counter person who knew of PRESTOLITE let alone knew how to source the parts for the various ignition systems they covered, LOOP was dead nuts on all the time, they may not have had it in stock, but knew what it was and how to get it.
We had a local parts store like that. They were a CQ affiliate for awhile. Even had a small machine shop right there, you could drop off rotors to get milled or a hub to be pressed out etc. The old man who owned the place retired and sold it, IIRC the new owner changed to NAPA briefly but the grapevine was he didn't like the franchise fees so dropped it, and changed style. They used to have the biggest collection of books I'd ever seen on a counter, probably 25 or 30 on a sliding rack, then another 50+ on shelves behind it. Old guys w/ always-greasy hands knew everything.
Went in one day it was all gone, renovated to be just newer replacement parts. 1 unhappy looking old guy and a teenager.
Folded in less than a year.

We had a local parts store like that. They were a CQ affiliate for awhile. Even had a small machine shop right there, you could drop off rotors to get milled or a hub to be pressed out etc. The old man who owned the place retired and sold it, IIRC the new owner changed to NAPA briefly but the grapevine was he didn't like the franchise fees so dropped it, and changed style. They used to have the biggest collection of books I'd ever seen on a counter, probably 25 or 30 on a sliding rack, then another 50+ on shelves behind it. Old guys w/ always-greasy hands knew everything.
Went in one day it was all gone, renovated to be just newer replacement parts. 1 unhappy looking old guy and a teenager.
Folded in less than a year.
The place that bought out LOOP Rd didn’t last long enough for me to remember the name, they lasted about 4 months, so went in one time after the change and it was a shit show. I need obscure parts places, I need a lot of obscure parts...

Went to Loop rd.many times in the 80s/90s because they were the only store round wake co. that had the parts I needed, in stock.
Advance was my go to for most things for decades and I have been treated well at the local stores.
Oriellys has been fine by me, turning calipers and drums for $10 a piece, having most parts in stock or will have them before noon If I order online in the morning.Their prices are often about the Advance w they're coupons.There is a store on my way to and from work so it's any quick stop.
I've never had a bad purchase from rockauto and their prices are awesome.Often my orders arrive faster than the expected day.

Last edited:
So many, So so many, post, & saying "I go here because of the Knowledge & Service". Like I said, the Brand doesn't much matter; It's the employee's at That particular store! Just like Belmont, Had a good NAPA store, with Knowledgeable employees, that would slide you a good discount! The Corp, decided to move when a lease ran out. A new smaller building had been built, a block away, on the Boulevard, & Seemed a better location. That new smaller building, has a Crap HVAC system, less room for stock, & harder to get in & out of, than the old one. They changed all the employees. You Best, know your part number, because, If you can get waited on, they can't find it! And If you don't know what NAPA calls it in their system, they can't find it. You might call it a muffler clamp, & 3", but They call it a tail pipe band & 7.62cm.
Sounds like 90% of us, go where We can deal with the employees!

Loop Rd was great. Took a 4.0 head to get reworked and they turned it around in no time. I miss old parts stores like that. Can hardly find them anymore.

Loop Rd was great. Took a 4.0 head to get reworked and they turned it around in no time. I miss old parts stores like that. Can hardly find them anymore.

the machine shop that was attached to Loop Rd is still there, was an independent business of the store and not effected by the buy out directly. There are signs in the covered front windows of the building that he machine shop is still there

When I lived in W-S... O'Reilly, AutoZoo, & Advanced were side-by-side and NAPA down about 1/4 mile opposite side. THOSE_WERE_THE_DAYS! :lol:
Was great for finding exactly what was needed in a short time.

Here in BFVa... Advanced (verdict still out, but they have some decently knowledgeable folks) or WallyWorld for bulk fluids.

Try driving a bastardized Suzuki Samurai with Jeep, GM, Tracker and oddball parts on it.
Ms. Dreadlocks behind the counter: what year is it?
Me: Doesn't matter
Dreadlocks:
Me:
Dreadlocks: What year?

Now I look everything up and show up with part numbers, keeps me from getting that thousand yard stare when I need a Chevy part for a Samurai.
BUT .......
I go to Advance (Stanelyville ).... order online, save the money, pick up in store.
If they can't get it O'Riely's is just down the road.
I do go to NAPA for belts .... they still list and sell 2 different belts for the Samurai.
There's 3/4" difference between the fan and a/c belts .... I use the a/c belt for my OBA.
The fan belt will not work.
AA and AZ and O all list and sell one belt for both.

There was a place in Waughtown .... Economy Auto Supply (?) years ago.
When they were still open I went there for everything. They could match a handful
of fragmented junk to the right part! The woman behind the counter was the smartest of the bunch!

BTW and FYI yesterday was the Grand Opening of the new O'rielys in Walnut Cove!

7b6ed458bb5f97d2e78829e6b9fb0dfc.jpeg

Back