Votes: 16 25.4%
  • Car Quest

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • Rock Auto

Votes: 18 28.6%

• Total voters

drkelly

Dipstick who put two vehicles on jack stands
Advance Auto is the closest store to my house.

Fairly recently I replaced the front pads, calipers, flexible brake hoses, and LF ABS sensor on my 01 Ram. Oriellys was the only store near me that had everything in stock. I've been using them more frequently over the past 5-10yrs.

I would say Rock auto...but that would be if I didnt need something right F'n now

I usually don't start something and HAVE everything I need. So parts trips are essential. O'Reilly is further than advance but typically has everything. But being lazy, pressed for time I usually go to advance, and still have to go to O'Reilly :rolleyes:

Local napa. Used to be independent before selling out to Walker. My neighbor is the manager. Everything I buy gets run through the company account so I get our discount and I just pay with my card rather than work stuff that gets billed. They also carry or can get any kind of tractor parts. Definitely a plus

I like ordering on Advance Autos site and using their coupons for most stuff. Order time to order ready is usually drive time from here to town so there is no wait, and I've yet to have them mess up an order. If I need to put hands on items and compare them before I buy I go to O'Reilly's because they're usually less busy and they actually have a few gear heads that work there. If I need someone smart enough to go to a book or think past what the computer screen tells them then I go to NAPA.

Duane

I like rock auto if you have the time to wait. O Reillys is probably my favorite but furthest away. i have had the worst luck with autozone (closest), trying to explain what i need. last time i was looking for a 2.25in radiator hose with a 90 degree turn to make an adapter to run my boat in the driveway. they wouldn't even look unless i knew what car it was for. OK thats fine , but they wouldn't let me look at them either bc it was barely behind the counter. So i went to Advance and the guy showed me the rack and gave me a tape measure and said let me know when you the one you need and are ready to check out.

Oriellys is the closest to my house and for some reason have more on the shelf than Advance does. Go to though is to order online with Advance since you can get 20% off.

I worked at Auto Zone for 4 years in college and avoid it like the plague. Not because the parts suck (they're all pretty much the same) but I just don't like going in there anymore.

Key is find a store that has gear heads in them, doesn't matter what kind as they always seem to understand stuff better.

We use advance and Napa equally at work, usually call both and see who's got the best price or in stock in town on most things. Ac compressors we go Napa, had couple of bad ones from adv. Use advance for brakes, suspension and wheel hubs (Moog) cause better results than the napa chassis, and advance (carquest) rotors seem beefier, so we get less warping comebacks. Boss prefers echlin vs bwd so most sensors or such we go Napa.

Since adv bought carquest their parts have gotten much better, they seem to have actually kept the better quality stuff vs just buying for the name. Also adv has an import warehouse in Fayetteville that they stock oer and OEM import parts.

I voted advance and Napa because that's who I call first and I know the commercial counter guys from dealing with (only certain ones) every day, plus they bill through work account on cash ticket so I get that huge tiered discount. The more you buy the better your wholesale price is from both, and we can spend 20k or more easily. Plus I worked at advance while going to Fayetteville tech a long time ago. Parts are better now, I used to bench test alt and starters before the sale cause half were bad in the box.

I voted oreilly also because they are my last resort store. It seems that if the other two don't have it in town oreilly does. We buy from them a few times a year at work, and I buy from them personally every other month or so (between dad's and my own crawlers and hot rods I'm constantly tinkering with something)

I think carquest and advance should be combined, they are basically the same company selling the same stuff. Our advance stocks CQ fuel pumps, starters and brake rotors for example. I use rockauto from time to time but I'm impatient and want it now usually.

And finally I vowed not to set foot in an AutoZone again since after the power tour last year... so far so good. I will walk past 3 AutoZone stores to go anywhere else.

I think carquest and advance should be combined, they are basically the same company selling the same stuff. Our advance stocks CQ fuel pumps, starters and brake rotors for example. I use rockauto from time to time but I'm impatient and want it now usually.

Are there any CarQuest stores left? The one in Clayton closed and the one we used in Raleigh changed to an Advance.

Duane

@CLRracer there are 2 in Fayetteville. Still signed as CQ. They do have more parts than the advance stores and are geared more towards commercial accounts with things like body shop and shop supplies too.

Not Autozone, always stocked with mouth breathers on both sides of the counter, Azone hub is closest to me and always stocked with what I need, and I still don't go there anymore. Been using Advance lately with decent results, gotta try the local Orielly. Napa for the good parts....but they are spendy....RockAuto when I am putting a big order together (Like replacing all of the steering parts in my front end).

Not advance. last time i was there i had to answer 4 times if my vehicle was auto or manual so he could find me some torque converter bolts.

Which apparently they can't get.
Lmao

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I used to use Autozone, as they came out Strong in the Charlotte are, against the Western Auto stores [now Advance]. I used to get good deals & Raffle donations, from Autozone. Slowly they changed, as did Many of their Managers! They Still, seem to turn over the managers every few months! I started shopping Advance, with better deals, prices, friendly help, & some donations! Eventually, I started using the on-line & discounts, when I can find the part. Even when my Need, is not on-line, I tell the store that I couldn't find it, & still get a decent discount. NAPA, used to be the place when you wanted a Quality part. But like the rest, they all get their parts from the same supplier. Mostly. And the changed their stores, no discounts, & no one there knows what a "thing a ma jig" is! I have 2 Orillys, near me, but don't care for either one!. The deal about finding an Experienced, guy that Knows How to look something up; probably everybody has that 1 guy, & he may work any any brand store. I know of 1 at a Orilly, & 1 at a Advance. but they're Not at my closest store, or NAPA.

I am above and beyond loyal to Orielly due to one time years ago, this dude really went above and beyond to get me the right bearings, on a Friday at 6pm. I’ve never forgotten it, and usually have better service from them overall. Seems silly I know, but since that day I’ve just preferred them.

If I can wait, RockAuto is my go to.

Orielly’s and Rock Auto. Advance is closer, but if I have to get anything more than fluids I head to Orielly’s. There’s a young dude at the counter who’s got his shit together. He can actually talk parts without the aid of the computer.

I usually order online and pick up in store at Advance. If I actually need to go in store, I go to Autozone just because their staff is better. We also have an old school car quest where I'll go if I actually need help/advice with something.

Advance if its a price hunt (fuel/oil/air filters and misc BS) because eof the online coupons.

Napa if I actually need help or need to fit an oddball part or match a belt of find that "custom" radiator hose for a TJ with a Novak v8 radiator, or get anything for the tractors, etc. They also make hydraulic hoses, and its 3 women behind the counter in Stanley and they know their stuff. Plus they will usually run it on some big discount commercial account if i wink at em just right.

Are there any CarQuest stores left? The one in Clayton closed and the one we used in Raleigh changed to an Advance.

Duane
FYI Carquest is owned by Advance, exact same stores and get parts from each other. If it's independently owned the Carquest store has been told they will either change names and become completely independent from Advance or close down and I'm thinking the deadline on that is very close.

I worked for Advance Auto for over 10 years, mostly part time evenings and weekends after my regular job, and I like to think I was pretty damn knowledgeable because everyone would come to see me when they really needed something. With that being said I avoid Advance Auto at all costs, because of their internal business practices, ridiculous policies towards customers, and the way they treat good employees and customers alike. I always use Orielly's because they just seem to be a better company as a whole and they actually try to hire better people. Those reasons are something that really matters to me and I do my best to shop accordingly, not to mention Orielly's seems to do better with carrying parts for vehicles I deal with. But then it's Rockauto if I can wait just to save money.

Duane

CarQuest physical stores are gone, they are the “commercial” counter in most Advance stores now

my favorite parts guy got stuck in the back room at commercial desk, he doesn’t have to deal with walk in Anymore, except me.... :D

CarQuest physical stores are gone, they are the “commercial” counter in most Advance stores now

my favorite parts guy got stuck in the back room at commercial desk, he doesn’t have to deal with walk in Anymore, except me.... :D

I actually got curious enough and googled it, Carquest website says there are still two Carquest labeled stores in Raleigh, one on New Bern Ave and one over near the airport. Haven't been down New Bern Ave in a while though so don't know if that's still accurate.

Duane

I actually got curious enough and googled it, Carquest website says there are still two Carquest labeled stores in Raleigh, one on New Bern Ave and one over near the airport. Haven't been down New Bern Ave in a while though so don't know if that's still accurate.

Duane
I think what bothers me than no CQ around anymore, is the LOOP RD AUTO PARTS is gone. Those guys were awesome. Pretty well stocked, especially foreign make car parts. And usually had the tool or tap to get you out of a jam. And they were gear heads on the counter that knew and understood why you’d have corvettejeepmustangdoge parts on that same vehicle.

Not advance. last time i was there i had to answer 4 times if my vehicle was auto or manual so he could find me some torque converter bolts.

Which apparently they can't get.
That literally made me snort. Reminds me of the few times I go to get something for my Jeep.

"Hey, I need a kuhnooder valve and some muffler bearings for a small block chevy 400."

"uh, what's the year, make and model dude..."

*scratches head* "how bout '76 Monte Carlo?"

"....uh.....is that a Ford?"

*shakes head* "I said small block CHEVY"

"oh, right...huh huh....yeah, I gotcha. dude, you've got a Monte Carlo?"

"no"

"but you said..."

"I know."

"I don't get it....huh huh is it like in a Camaro or something?"

"no, it's 'like' in a Jeep"

*duder's mind starts imploding*

"uh....what's the year make and model of the Jeep?"

"you won't find it"

"I'm sure I will, bruh. I'm good with cars"

"ok, '84 CJ7"

"what engine?"

"I already said... small block 400"

"uh....is that the 4.2 or the 5.0?"

"6.6"

"uh.....well, it says here..."

"is there someone else that works here? that might know the difference between an exhaust elbow and a spark plug?"

I think our Car Quest is still open. It was last time I was on that side of town. Those guys have been there forever and really knowledgeable. They used to be able to make up hydraulic hoses and some other stuff in the store, but the Advance buyout put an end to that.

Advance and O'Reillys are across the street from each other, about 5 mins from the house. I use both regularly. Both sets of employees know me well and I have access to business accounts at both. Napa is across the street from my neighborhood. I'll use them for the hard to find parts or if I need it right then and now and the other places don't have it.

I absolutely refuse to use Autozone. I went one time for some line fittings. I had the fitting in my hand. I told the dude it would be back where your brake lines are. He walked the store for 15 mins trying to find them, meanwhile I'm looking at them from the counter and telling him where they are :shaking:.

Back