Fav-o-right Chikin wings ?

mommucked

Endeavoring to persevere
If you make them at home what's your recipe/technique for wings/drummets? My current fav. is to coat generously w K C Masterpiece BBQ seasoning and lemon pepper for a few hours in the fridge, then smoke indirectly on the grill or bake @ 325 for an hour or so turning a few times. I like to mix some Georges BBQ sauce w a thicker sauce like KC or Bullseye sometimes too.

I run a charcoal webber using only hardwood and lay the wings everywhere around the direct heat and let them start to slow cook with lid on.

After 2 or 3 turns after the natural grease starts to rise I then add my dry rub and watch as the grease sucks in the coating.

After and additions 1.5hrs of additional indirect heat and many turns and coatings I pull them off. Leaves a crisp outside and juicy center.

This technique works great for dry rub ribs too.

INGREDIENTS
Peanut oil, for frying
4 lb. chicken wings (about 40), separated into 2 pieces, wing tips removed, rinsed
12 tbsp. margarine
1 cup hot sauce, preferably Frank's Red Hot Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce
1 ⅓ cups chunky blue cheese dressing
4 ribs celery, halved lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 3 sticks

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Heat oven to 200°. Pour oil to a depth of 2 in a 6-qt. Dutch oven, and heat over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer reads 350°. Dry wings thoroughly with paper towels, and working in batches, fry wings until golden brown, about 12 minutes. Transfer wings to a wire rack set over a baking sheet, and place in oven to keep warm until all wings are fried.

2. Heat margarine in a 12 deep-sided skillet over medium heat; stir in hot sauce until smooth. Add wings, and toss until completely coated. Serve wings in a large bowl with dressing and celery on the side.

I run a charcoal webber using only hardwood and lay the wings everywhere around the direct heat and let them start to slow cook with lid on.

After 2 or 3 turns after the natural grease starts to rise I then add my dry rub and watch as the grease sucks in the coating.

After and additions 1.5hrs of additional indirect heat and many turns and coatings I pull them off. Leaves a crisp outside and juicy center.

This technique works great for dry rub ribs too.

I like woodsmokin also, White Oak, Hickory, or Apple is good on some chickin!

So, this thread got me hankering for some wings. Went to WM and got a big bag of uncooked frozen for a little over $10. Put them right in the oven on parchment paper at 375 for one hour. Took them out, rolled them around in a bowl with my favorite sauce, they were good, but .... I'd like the skin to be a little crispier, I'd like the sauce to be a little thicker, kinda glazed on them. I like the thought of not frying for mess and health reaasons. I'm open for any ideas for my next bag!

Last edited:
Back